Finding customers?

Please post any tips or advice you have in general relating to laser scanning either whilst onsite or office based.
jared1970
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Jared Christensen
Company Details: Metrology
Company Position Title: Operator

Finding customers?

Post by jared1970 »

Hello,
I have almost 10 years of experience divided up between laser trackers and laser scanners. I would like to start my own business offering laser scanning services, but I have no experience selling the service. How do I find customers? Any suggestions?
butucaru.andrei
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: ANDREI BUTUCARU
Company Details: G2 Survey Ltd
Company Position Title: Technical Support Manager
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Finding customers?

Post by butucaru.andrei »

Every company on the earth ask this: "Where do I find customers?" :)
The answer is simple: everywhere (world around you) and nowhere (online world)!
Andrei Butucaru
Technical Support Manager
G2 Survey LTD-Leica Authorised Distributor and BLK Premium Partner in the UK
andrei.butucaru(at)g2survey.com
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Consultant
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by jcoco3 »

Hi Jared, I agree with Andrei's comments because it is a common question...but it is always a good question so I will try to explain what we have found to be successful. Forgive me if any of this seems like simple common sense and marketing gibberish. I didn't know any of this when I got started :P

1. Go "beat the streets." We are constantly presenting for current clients and cold-called clients to help educate them on the possibilities of scanning and more. It takes a great deal of additional effort to prepare a good presentation that is geared toward their specific needs, but take the time to do it. A website with examples is a great tool to help a random Googler find you, but if they contact you back it up with face to face contact.

2. Don't sell laser scanning, instead sell solutions. We have found that it is better to keep all the intricacies of scanning under your hat. For many clients, if you start talking about all the complexities of scanning, registration and modeling you will see your their faces growing concerned. If you plan to sell your scanning and registered scan data to the client, then be prepared to consult with them for a few days or more so that they can get the ball rolling. We have have watched clients that refused our help, flounder for months on technical issues that we could have taught them to overcome in just a few hours, so be upfront and persistent about it. We have been told many times after the fact that they realized they should have listened to us more, so don't take no for an answer when offering help...you have to ensure their success too. People will call you for scanning services, and while you can certainly provide just that, don't do it blindly. Make sure you understand what they are trying to achieve and scan accordingly. If your client is experienced with handling the data, then just make sure they got what they needed and there are no major problems. Step back and get out of the way, but offer to trade marketing materials with them after the fact. Those materials can be a gold mine for both companies and can encourage working together on future projects.

3. Work the Network. This industry may seem cold at first, but from what I have learned it is mostly filled with regular people that are willing to help. Ask your equipment and software providers where to get started, they already know many people that need your help. Get to know everyone including your so-called competition. It doesn't have to be a combative relationship and you may find each other useful one day. Attend conferences, remain active on this forum, and talk to anyone in your area about the things you can do. It is unbelievable what word of mouth advertising can do, so don't keep such a helpful technology secret. Get some cross contamination from other industries and conferences. This can open up doors you didn't even know where there. I always have a ton of imagery, videos, sample models and reports from past projects handy to send to potential clients at a moments notice. This pile will start off small in the beginning, but it will quickly grow and become one of your most valuable tools to communicate what you can do for them. Keep a handful of these samples on your phone or tablet at all times. I am almost embarrassed to mention that we have earned new clients by showing them a few pictures on a phone while at the bar, at lunch, or when they stopped randomly to ask us "what is that thing" while we are scanning another project.

5. Be persistent-(almost annoying). If you do a presentation for a potential client which doesn't result in a project then don't give up on them. Just give it time and occasionally send them an image of something you did that might interest them. Our track record for getting scanning related work from presentations is about 2 out 5 in the first year, which doesn't seem very good, but often there will be fall-out work generated for other parts of our company. 2 or 3 years later we get calls from the others that didn't need scanning resulting in a project. Sometimes it is hilarious how long it can take :lol:

6. Create new markets. This is hardest way to find new clients, but if you can find methods to utilize scanning in a new ways that can open up the market to people that have never needed it before, then it will be a win-win for everyone. You may also talk to people that tell you that they don't need your services, you may even think that might be true because of what they primarily do, but if you try to apply the problem solving tools you posses to their problems you will sometimes find a natural fit. It really amazes and encourages me when this happens, and it is something that keeps me motivated.

Hope this helps :)
Matt Young
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Matt Young
Company Details: Baker Hicks
Company Position Title: CAD-BIM Lead
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Matt Young »

It's not easy to do even if you work for an established company. Most companies work for the same clients over and over and only a small percentage is new work.

One simple idea if you have access the scanner is to find maybe several architectural firms in your area and scan their building without telling them, then post a an image or drawn elevation of the building to them with your company details. Basically try to think of something outside the box that will get their attention.

And as mentioned try to find a niche market if possible - there will always be new ways to utilize measurement technology while the world is made of things to measure.
If you don't see that there is nothing, then you are kidding yourself.

Return to “Tips & Advice”