Video editing software that keeps telemetry data

Please post any tips or advice you have in general relating to laser scanning either whilst onsite or office based.
kpob46
I have made 100> posts
I have made 100> posts
Full Name: Kyle OBrien
Company Details: Nutrien
Company Position Title: Mine Technologist

Video editing software that keeps telemetry data

Post by kpob46 »

This may not be the proper forum for this inquiry, but I know there are a lot of smart people on here.

Basically, I captured some GoPro videos where the gyroscope and accelerometer data is preserved within the video. I need to apply some filters to the video to brighten it up, but when I do this, the telemetry data is not preserved. I have tried this with Adobe Premiere and Movavi, but no luck.

Does anyone have some options out there for preserving the telemetry data in a video after post processing? I don't want the data displayed on the video but just preserved within the video.
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Video editing software that keeps telemetry data

Post by badam »

kpob46 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:40 pm This may not be the proper forum for this inquiry, but I know there are a lot of smart people on here.

Basically, I captured some GoPro videos where the gyroscope and accelerometer data is preserved within the video. I need to apply some filters to the video to brighten it up, but when I do this, the telemetry data is not preserved. I have tried this with Adobe Premiere and Movavi, but no luck.

Does anyone have some options out there for preserving the telemetry data in a video after post processing? I don't want the data displayed on the video but just preserved within the video.
i didn't take a look at it, but i think your best bet is to use ffmpeg. you probably need to dig into how it stored in the video.
kpob46
I have made 100> posts
I have made 100> posts
Full Name: Kyle OBrien
Company Details: Nutrien
Company Position Title: Mine Technologist

Post by kpob46 »

badam wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:54 pm
kpob46 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:40 pm This may not be the proper forum for this inquiry, but I know there are a lot of smart people on here.

i didn't take a look at it, but i think your best bet is to use ffmpeg. you probably need to dig into how it stored in the video.
Yeah that seems like the only option I could find as well. Just was hoping for an out of the box solution if possible.
ClameJacart
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Clame Jacart
Company Details: Cavorking
Company Position Title: manager
Skype Name: ClameJacart93

Post by ClameJacart »

Unfortunately, there is no video editing software out there that can preserve the telemetry data in a video after post-processing. However, have you tried using online video editors?
jamesworrell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Worrell
Company Details: Bennett and Francis
Company Position Title: Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by jamesworrell »

You might be able to extract EXIF data from original and re-apply, given you aren't dealing with changing timing etc.

https://exiftool.org/
princemeraj
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Oliver Deer
Company Details: Oreqa
Company Position Title: manager

Post by princemeraj »

It seems like you've encountered an issue with preserving telemetry data while editing your GoPro videos.
Last edited by princemeraj on Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jamesrye
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Rye
Company Details: Merrett Survey Partnership
Company Position Title: Spatial Analyst

Post by Jamesrye »

We use the insta360 pro2 camera, which records GPS data, so I have had similar issues. Some video editing software gets rid of the data, but you can put it back in there using EXIF tool - like James Worrell mentioned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uje5si23lBk

youtu.be/Uje5si23lBk

Also, if you're not happy with command line - take a look at:
https://lucaselbert.medium.com/extracti ... df97ed1834
https://www.trekview.org/blog/2022/join ... telemetry/
andre8
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Andre
Company Details: Mine
Company Position Title: PhD student

Post by andre8 »

When it comes to editing my hunting videos, I've dabbled with a few different ones over time. Started out with the basics like iMovie because it was free and pretty intuitive for a beginner. It's great for quick edits and doesn't overwhelm you with too many features. As I got more into it, though, I felt the need to step up my game and switched to Adobe Premiere Pro. It's definitely a steep learning curve, but the amount of control and options it gives you is worth it once you get the hang of it. Good for when you want to really refine your footage and add some professional touches.

For quick social media clips, I sometimes just use phone apps. There are some surprisingly good ones out there that let you cut and splice footage on the fly. But for the main edits, a solid video editor is crucial.

Return to “Tips & Advice”