3D point cloud semantic modelling

Post any articles or web links that directly relate to laser scanning that you feel other users would deem interesting.
Poux
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Florent POUX
Company Details: 3D Academy - UTwente
Company Position Title: Course Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

3D point cloud semantic modelling

Post by Poux »

Hi all,

I wanted to share the latest research in 3D point cloud database to 3D model published this month in Remote Sensing. It is open-access, so feel free to re-use any presented material.
It is available on line or as a pdf at: http://www.mdpi.com/2072-4292/10/9/1412

You willl find an automatic modelling framework as well as a 3D data mining to extract furnitures from a library to model indoor point cloud
figure_01.png
I will be very happy to try and answer you if you have any question,

Hope this helps our community or bring a better scientific understanding :ugeek: ,

Cheers,

F. Poux
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Re: 3D point cloud semantic modelling

Post by smacl »

This is some great work, Florent! I like the IFC style ontology to establish an object hierarchy which will provide some real benefits when applied in a BIM framework. Do you have any sample demo applications and data available? I'd be interested in seeing how it performs with the different types of data that I regularly encounter, e.g. mobile LIDAR, GeoSLAM, P40 etc...
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1

Post by gsisman »

Poux wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:12 am Hi all,

I wanted to share the latest research in 3D point cloud database to 3D model published this month in Remote Sensing. It is open-access, so feel free to re-use any presented material.
It is available on line or as a pdf at: http://www.mdpi.com/2072-4292/10/9/1412

You willl find an automatic modelling framework as well as a 3D data mining to extract furnitures from a library to model indoor point cloud
figure_01.png

I will be very happy to try and answer you if you have any question,

Hope this helps our community or bring a better scientific understanding :ugeek: ,

Cheers,

F. Poux
If you can get this approach to examine a curb section identify it with a standard library of sections and then run the curb out along the pointcloud using a series of Vertical faces and horizontal faces joined with a nurbs at the 90 degree intersection and in transition areas running along a "region grow" type of longitudinal alignment you would have a sweet extraction tool for curblines, one of the time intensive parts of modeling a street n 3D that would be a bit more automated than the current cross-section template adjustment or mesh versions out there right now.

http://wiki.bk.tudelft.nl/toi-pedia/Rhi ... d_Modeling

https://youtu.be/m9U_XmnHQMU
Bezier_curve_modeling_2018-10-17_0857.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

gsisman wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:02 pm If you can get this approach to examine a curb section identify it with a standard library of sections and then run the curb out along the pointcloud using a series of Vertical faces and horizontal faces joined with a nurbs at the 90 degree intersection and in transition areas running along a "region grow" type of longitudinal alignment you would have a sweet extraction tool for curblines, one of the time intensive parts of modeling a street n 3D that would be a bit more automated than the current cross-section template adjustment or mesh versions out there right now.
Hi Steve,

We do something very much like this in SCC, have a look at the video below for an example. Like so many of these automation tools, it works really well on clean data, such as long roads without too many parked cars, but becomes unstuck where there are a lot of junctions, parked cars and other forms of interference. From talking to a number of users, the point they want at the bottom of curb is the intersection between the vertical face of the curb and the road surface, which often doesn't exist in the scan as its occluded by debris of various kinds. I'm planning on updating our tracing routine to allow for this and will put a post up once we have it running. My thoughts on what Florent has done are that it would provide more value in the short term for extracting discrete features such as bollards, signs, traffic lights and the like.

Shane

youtu.be/kgcV5rt3R84
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module

Return to “Articles, Webinars & Links”