COMPUTER VISION PATTERN RECOGNITION (CVPR) 2017

Post details about exhibitions or conferences that may be of interest to other members. This will help gather support for the industry.
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dennis Hirota
Company Details: Sam O Hirota Inc
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: COMPUTER VISION PATTERN RECOGNITION (CVPR) 2017

Post by dhirota »

OK, I have my bootable USB3 stick for UBUNTU 16.04.3 ready to run on any PC (all are x64) in our office.
Dennis Hirota, PhD, PE, LPLS
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Consultant
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by jcoco3 »

D,

Thank you for the pictures and information. I love every bit, and yes that last image and information on the compute stick is exactly the type of thing that gets me fired up and hopeful about the future.

I am a little confused though, are you using an object recognition algorithm/AI in Ubuntu? I would fire up a Ubuntu VM or Bootable USB drive in a heartbeat just to replicate the same object identification in the last image.

Thanks for sharing, this is why I come here :D
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

J,

This is when it will get interesting. I think most of this stuff is Ubuntu generated. Free seems to be better, but there is a bunch of Hololens new stuff that I might see next week if they come though as promised.

I will be tied up all day tomorrow at the historic pink Royal Hawaiian Hotel (RHH) attending the NPS (National Park Service) seminar on how to execute documentation of historic projects. I may take my BLK360 to do some scanning inside the RHH, since the BLK360 still does not work well yet on outside scans.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

Spent part of today deciding if I wanted to fix my DELL M4800 back to the dual boot W8.1/Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS. I finally figured out that to have a stand alone Ubuntu 16.0.4.3 is a better situation for other applications than to use the USB3 Ubuntu boot stick. It is hard to compare a 16 GB stick vs 32GB of RAM and 3TB of SSD storage.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Consultant
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by jcoco3 »

I have had similar troubles with bootable usb setups. Always prefered to use virtual box with the seamless mode. I ran Ubuntu and Windows xp together that way for years, but got away from it as Windows got a little better. Might give that a whirl if you want to have more control over your hardware allocations. It is still not a good as a true standalone of Ubuntu, but it works well for some applications.
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

I just received an email from Apple wanting to know if I wanted to apply for a job. This is what happens when it seemed that 50% of the 5,000 people attending CVPR were recruiting and the younger half were looking for a job.

Apple sent a bunch of information, but this was one of the interesting. I did not have a chance to look at everything since there is too much to digest.

From an Apple blog/report from their Machine Learning Journal

"Improving the Realism of Synthetic Images

Vol. 1, Issue 1 ∙ July 2017

Most successful examples of neural nets today are trained with supervision. However, to achieve high accuracy, the training sets need to be large, diverse, and accurately annotated, which is costly. An alternative to labelling huge amounts of data is to use synthetic images from a simulator. This is cheap as there is no labeling cost, but the synthetic images may not be realistic enough, resulting in poor generalization on real test images. To help close this performance gap, we’ve developed a method for refining synthetic images to make them look more realistic. We show that training models on these refined images leads to significant improvements in accuracy on various machine learning tasks.

Overview
Training machine learning models on standard synthetic images is problematic as the images may not be realistic enough, leading the model to learn details present only in synthetic images and failing to generalize well on real images. One approach to bridge this gap between synthetic and real images would be to improve the simulator which is often expensive and difficult, and even the best rendering algorithm may still fail to model all the details present in the real images. This lack of realism may cause models to overfit to ‘unrealistic’ details in the synthetic images. Instead of modeling all the details in the simulator, could we learn them from data? To this end, we developed a method for refining synthetic images to make them look more realistic ."

Jonathan: I had to give up my DELL M4800 for something else more pressing in the office that is W10 related for a few weeks, but I have it set up for swapping out the W10 boot drive and replacing it with a Samsung 1TB SSD with Ubuntu 16.04.3 loaded and 2TB of additional SSD storage.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

This may not be the place to do this, but since my picture with Jensen Huang of NVIDIA is the first entry on this thread, I figured that a picture of Raja Koduri, who is not yet my friend, should go with this interesting announcement.
RAJA_KODURI.jpg
So he is now at INTEL

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12017/in ... -architect

"On Monday, Intel announced that it had penned a deal with AMD to have the latter provide a discrete GPU to be integrated onto a future Intel SoC. On Tuesday, AMD announced that their chief GPU architect, Raja Koduri, was leaving the company. Now today the saga continues, as Intel is announcing that they have hired Raja Koduri to serve as their own GPU chief architect. And Raja's task will not be a small one; with his hire, Intel will be developing their own high-end discrete GPUs.

Starting from the top and following yesterday’s formal resignation from AMD, Raja Koduri has jumped ship to Intel, where he will be serving as a Senior VP for the company, overseeing the new Core and Visual Computing group. As a chief architect and general manager, Intel is tasking Raja with significantly expanding their GPU business, particularly as the company re-enters the discrete GPU field. Raja of course has a long history in the GPU space as a leader in GPU architecture, serving as the manager of AMD’s graphics business twice, and in between AMD stints serving as the director of graphics architecture on Apple’s GPU team."

So the CVPR world will become more interesting??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]

Return to “Exhibitions & Conferences”