How can I use an image for the background in SCENE 5.5.3.16.

Post any education related material or training courses that are available to assist with getting users trained in laser scanning.
LPaulCook
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: L Paul Cook
Company Details: Land surveyor doing LiDAR
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

How can I use an image for the background in SCENE 5.5.3.16.

Post by LPaulCook »

I see some samples here of scans with the background as sky with clouds. How can I add an image like that or my own sky image as a background instead of just colors? I still using v. 5.5.3.16

Is this option only available in v. 6 or can I do that in my current version of SCENE?

I've been hesitant to upgrade to v. 6 because of all the issues with v. 6 I have read about here. Has v. 6 been made acceptable yet or are you still having issues with it?

Thanks in advance for your help.
L. Paul Cook, PLS
www.LPC3D.com
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Consultant
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: How can I use an image for the background in SCENE 5.5.3

Post by jcoco3 »

Using 6.0 for the backgrounds is really the easy way if you can deal with the rest of the current issues. I would imagine there will be a new release in the future to address some of the issues we have found, but who knows what the timeline would be.

I know Eugene imports images all the time for Blood Splatter analysis, so you may be able to follow his method then scale/position the image behind your points. I don't know if it is possible, but probably worth testing. I don't know how he does it, although I think there are some videos hanging around somewhere. You could just ask him :)

A couple other posible options:
1. Use a light blue to white gradient background for a screen shot or rendered image(Video App) then add clouds png images with no background as layers in photoshop to the top of your images. Here are some clouds:http://pngimg.com/img/nature/cloud

2. Use a solid color background that is not present in the rgb values of your scans. Bright orange, purple, or pink might work, then use the Chroma Key(green-screen) tool in Adobe Premier to remove the background from your image and substituent the background image you want to use. Not very easy.

3. The very hard way if you dare to try it: http://www.laserscanningforum.com/forum ... =49&t=8209
You may also be able to texture a simple plane with an image and import it as a vmrl. It worked for the google earth terrain so a flat mesh should be even easier.
3DForensics
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Eugene Liscio
Company Details: AI2-3D Forensics
Skype Name: eliscio

Post by 3DForensics »

Hi Paul,

For sure the easy way is to work in 6.0. You basically right click in the viewport and go to your visibility settings and you'll see an option for an environment map.

Using just a photograph and scaling means if you turn in a 360, you'll eventually catch the edges of the plane.For me, using a large dome with a texture and importing as VRML is my second choice. Scene handles VRML pretty well although you might have to tweak the settings a little. If you need one made, I can assist with that...just let me know.

I am currently running both 5,5 and 6. Eventually, I'll move everything over to Scene 6 but for the moment, I am in between versions.

Regards,

Eugene
3DForensics
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Eugene Liscio
Company Details: AI2-3D Forensics
Skype Name: eliscio

Post by 3DForensics »

In that post that Jonathan gave the link to, you can use the skydome he provided and you can always scale it to your liking in CloudCompare or MeshLab.
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Consultant
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by jcoco3 »

Hehe, right on cue Eugene :)

I totally forgot I uploaded that Skydome...well that is probably the easiest way to do it 5.5 since I already did the hard work for you :lol:
LPaulCook
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: L Paul Cook
Company Details: Land surveyor doing LiDAR
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by LPaulCook »

Thanks guys! I was hoping for a simpler solution so I'll most likely wait 'till I switch over to 6. I could easily do the Photoshop masking but I'm more interested in video presentations than stills.
Your images look great.
I also think that the cylinder idea would work better than the dome concept if the views stayed close to horizontal. I'll play with these ideas and bit more.
Thanks for your help.
L. Paul Cook, PLS
www.LPC3D.com

Return to “Training Workshops & Online Tutorials”