I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Andrei Butucaru
Company Details: G2 Survey Ltd
Company Position Title: Technical Support Manager
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Leica GEB331 battery with RTC360 scanner

Post by G2 Survey »

Hi everyone,

We've had an interesting enquiry from one of our customers.
He ran out of batteries on the RTC360 scanner and realised that the GEB331 batery (from CS20 controller) would fit into the scanner as well.
Have you ever tried this before?
They seem to have the same voltage and amperage. Please see the photo from below:
G2_batteries.png

Any feedback would be much appreciated.
Regards,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andrei Butucaru
Technical Support Manager
https://g2survey.com

RJGEOMATICS
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter
Full Name: Bart Man
Company Details: Laser Scanning
Company Position Title: Passionate about making amazing PCs
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Leica GEB331 battery with RTC360 scanner

Post by RJGEOMATICS »

Nope never tried that. Nor would I really want to... You have a scanner worth thousands, and you are going to risk it for the sake of a battery worth a few hundred.

First lesson in Scanning. Running out of Batteries is as silly as running out of gas in your vehicle.
When a Battery Dies, the first thing you do, is get it on the charger. RTC360 is even hot swappable, so you can switch them around on the fly.

If you know you are going to be on some long 20 hour scanning mission, go buy a couple extra batteries.

First thing I did, was buy 2 extra USB Sticks and 2 Extra Batteries, plus the GAD120 and a Gtizo Systemic Series 5 Tripod, so I could outfit it and level every RTC360 station, or BLK360 Station by Tribrach.

Always remember also. In clod environments below -15 C your battery life will be significantly shorter. So if you are laserscanning a Freezer Warehouse, you'll need a plethora of Batteries on charger and constantly being rotated.

Batteries are relatively cheap compared to our very valuable equipment. I never even understood buying aftermarket batteries, or re celled batteries.
G2 Survey
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Andrei Butucaru
Company Details: G2 Survey Ltd
Company Position Title: Technical Support Manager

Post by G2 Survey »

Thank you for your reply.
This is what we've recommended to the customer, of course, but was just interested to see if anyone actually tried it.
It doesn't worth the risk anyway.
Happy scanning!

Regards,
Andrei Butucaru
Technical Support Manager
https://g2survey.com

badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by badam »

If the polarity, and voltage is the same nothing wrong can happen...But I haven't tried yet.
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

RJGEOMATICS wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:44 pm Nope never tried that. Nor would I really want to... You have a scanner worth thousands, and you are going to risk it for the sake of a battery worth a few hundred.

First lesson in Scanning. Running out of Batteries is as silly as running out of gas in your vehicle.
When a Battery Dies, the first thing you do, is get it on the charger. RTC360 is even hot swappable, so you can switch them around on the fly.

If you know you are going to be on some long 20 hour scanning mission, go buy a couple extra batteries.

First thing I did, was buy 2 extra USB Sticks and 2 Extra Batteries, plus the GAD120 and a Gtizo Systemic Series 5 Tripod, so I could outfit it and level every RTC360 station, or BLK360 Station by Tribrach.

Always remember also. In clod environments below -15 C your battery life will be significantly shorter. So if you are laserscanning a Freezer Warehouse, you'll need a plethora of Batteries on charger and constantly being rotated.

Batteries are relatively cheap compared to our very valuable equipment. I never even understood buying aftermarket batteries, or re celled batteries.
RJ's post is spot on.

Fiddling about with batteries is a topic which comes back regularly. Many DIY people who buy $$$ instruments but don't wanna spend 500€ on a battery or test some strange combinations out.
The time you spent searching for it is time which could be spent on scanning and earning cash to buy a battery ;-)
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]

Return to “G2 Survey”