Online point cloud hosting

3DUserNet, Cintoo, GeoSignum Pointer, Pillr, Pointbox, Pointerra, Pointly, PointSharePlus, Pythagoras, Potree, Vercator, WebShareCloud, Etc.
jochenstier
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Jochen Stier
Company Details: Geist Software Labs
Company Position Title: Founder
Skype Name: jochen.stier
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Online point cloud hosting

Post by jochenstier »

I would like to invite the laser scanning community to have a look at http://www.voxxlr.com, which is an online hosting service for Point Clouds. The Voxxlr web interface includes an interactive 3D viewer to examine scans in real time using only a standard browser (Chrome, Firefox and Edge). You can now upload data sets in excess of 100 million points in .las, .laz, .e57 and .ply data formats. For a life demo please visit the site using either Chrome, Firefox or MS Edge

http://www.voxxlr.com

There are already a few hundred scans on the site right now, although most of them have been recorded using our scanning App for the Google Project Tango tablet.

We are now inviting participants from the laser scanning community in order to tailor the service to those specific needs. If you are interested please message me or send an email to [email protected]. While you can already create an account, the laser scanning community will receive a much larger bandwidth and storage allocation than a Tango scanner.

We would like to hear your feedback and suggestions for additional features. Of particular interested are the publishing and distribution requirements for large point clouds. How do you present that data to your clients and what would you find useful in a publishing tool, specifically an online one ? We are now committed to adding new capabilities to Voxxlr and would like those to be driven by demand.
TommyMaddox
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Tommy R Maddox III
Company Details: ONSITE3D
Company Position Title: Director of Technology

Re: Online point cloud hosting

Post by TommyMaddox »

Any login/access restriction capabilities available or is it public share only?
jochenstier
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Jochen Stier
Company Details: Geist Software Labs
Company Position Title: Founder
Skype Name: jochen.stier

Re: Online point cloud hosting

Post by jochenstier »

The accounts are private. You will only be able to upload data after logging in and the scans are only visible to the owner(s) of the account. However, you can use the sharing tools to distribute URLs to specific scans via email or social media. Ultimately you have full control over who can see the data. The scans on the site right now have been uploaded by us for demo purposes.

The network traffic on accounts is metered in order to control the bandwidth usage. Voxxlr is based on the Google cloud infrastructure which, depending on location, has different charges for network usage. Eventually this charge will be passed on to users, but not at this time. It does not appear to be too expensive, but that really depends on the size and number of views of a scan. It is important to note that the 3D viewer initially only downloads at most 3.5 million points of a scan. The user can then use a slider to increase the number of points and thus also increase the resolution.

Soon it will be possible for users to publish a limited number of scans, so that they do appear on the Voxxlr website. These public scans will then be free of charge as their usage will not be metered. The goal is to provide an incentive for users to provide quality content to be displayed on the website.

Return to “Web Based Software”