ISTAR image processing software

Euclideon GEOVERSE, SOLIBRI Model Checker, BCF, ScanManager, GreenSpider, GeomaticsCUBE.
richard_m
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Richard Merrin
Company Details: Fugro
Company Position Title: Data Processor _ Project Engineer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

ISTAR image processing software

Post by richard_m »

Hi all,

we're getting more and more requests for "3d imaging" of plants instead of "3d scanning" of plants. We need to know more about how we can produce such imaging.

We've got various nodal camera systems but will probably just purchase a bunch if istars, we also have the back end deliverable sorted with our Site-Spot system providing a great user interface and hosting/management/viewing solution but what I know little about is the image processing software solution..

We need to produce pretty 360deg imaging that can also be used for (rough) dimensioning, as I understand the istar will very quickly churn out the raw imaging and with an external gps can also add position data to the image exif but can anyone recommend a software package to efficiently produce the required jpg images?

How does the dimensioning work? does the istar automatically generate enough image overlap for this? can a rough pointcloud be post-processed out of the istar images, and if so by what package?

I should stress we're not talking a few images of, say, a crime scene but thousands of setups over an industrial site so workflow efficiency is everything.

Sorry, just realised this is not really a laser-scanning post but there's sorta crossover interest. Kinda.

Any information welcomed.

Richard.
LeicaUK_RC
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Phil Marsh
Company Details: Leica Geosystems part of Hexagon
Company Position Title: Reality Capture Director UK
Skype Name: Phil.H.Marsh

Re: ISTAR image processing software

Post by LeicaUK_RC »

if you use Immersive studio you can export the orginal JPEG images and use ptGUI or Kolor AutoPANO Giga for the images if you like.

As for the measuring you can do this with an iSTAR but you would be able to with the CloudCreator....
CloudCreator1.jpg
http://nctechimaging.com/wp/nctech-to-d ... onal-2015/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leica Geosystems
M: 07540 201383
E: [email protected]
W: www.leica-geosystems.com
Andrej
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Andrej
Company Details: Meixner Vermessung and Freelancer
Company Position Title: Project Manager

Post by Andrej »

Hi

we have used the IStar just resently and had some set ups there Immersice Studio gave us wrong stitching. Therefore we us PTGui (from the Nodal Ninja work flow) however the overlap is very minimal and the stitching had to be done manual for most set ups.

As we had the original IStar no measuring as fare we know (may get some insight from IStar users).

Our findings are the quality isn't as good as the Nodal Ninja for colour. The stitching is better with the Istar apart from some minor outliner. The cloud colouring had about 15% to 25% miss matching. Mean while I found a workflow which colours the cloud automatically using any panorama photo also the nodal ninja stuff, it is not working 100% yet but is a better solution for us.

I would be interested what type of measurements the client like to do with the IStar results and what accuracy they like to see.

Thanks
richard_m
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Richard Merrin
Company Details: Fugro
Company Position Title: Data Processor _ Project Engineer

Post by richard_m »

Thanks Phil, the cloud creator looks very interesting, look forward to seeing some data.

Thanks for the feedback Andrej, I also get good results from PTGui but find it a time-vampire and so would rather find a reliable automated system if such a thing exists. Our client is keen to have measurement caperability but says accuracy is of low importance, +/-5cm or so. Seems strange to me.

Anyone used "orbitgis" or "R2S" ?

Richard

Return to “Third Party Software & Plugins”