Announcing solidscan powered by Euclideon Unlimited Detail

Euclideon GEOVERSE, SOLIBRI Model Checker, BCF, ScanManager, GreenSpider, GeomaticsCUBE.
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dennis Hirota
Company Details: Sam O Hirota Inc
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Announcing solidscan powered by Euclideon Unlimited Deta

Post by dhirota »

We have been running Euclideon's Solidscan for about a week using some of our previous scans as test projects before embarking on a historic school scanning project.

Testing Euclideon's load and visualization ability, I used a recent scanning project of 33 outside scans of a resort
area using our Reigl VZ400. The scans were registered using Riscan-Pro 2.0 and GNSS, exported in e-57 (file size=15GB) and imported into Euclideon's Geoverse Convert, which produced a UDS file of 100 MB in 10 minutes at a resolution of 50mm. Using a resolution of 2mm generated a UDS file of 960MB in about 14 minutes.

Loading the 960 MB UDS file was accomplished in less than a second on either a MacBook Pro or my Mac Pro with 64 GB of RAM. The interesting feature is the ability to use a XBOX wireless controller to navigate through the 3D space in real time using Euclideon's Geoverse MDM viewer. I have not yet tried the AutoCAD 2015 plug-in which allows the connection of multiple viewing screens with Geoverse MDM and AutoCAD 2015. Unfortunately,
I can not show any screen shots of the scans at this time.

One of the projects that I can show is the Our Lady of Peace Cathedral project that I posted on this forum some time ago using our Z+F 5010C and Autodesk ReCap Pro.

I used 8 scans to get feel of how long the processing would take and what was involved
in generating output using the Solidscan software. The detailed workflow is still unfolding, but this version of
the software requires using a Z+F 5010C scanner and Z+F Laser Control software to process the registration and HDR images. The Z+F project or folder containing the scans are dropped into window of Solidscan for input of the scans and images. An important factor is the masking of glass/and or reflective surfaces and the border placement to limit processing time.

A medium resolution model (I believe 4 points per block, 0.582 GB in file size) for this project took about 2 hours to process and the high resolution model (1 point per block, 6.870 GB in file size) took about 7 hours. Attached are some screen shots of the medium and high resolution models. Load time into the viewer is less than 2 seconds
for either file size on different computers. The processing was done on a MacBook i7 with 16 GB RAM, 8 threads. We have run this software on one of our dual Xeon, 24 thread servers, 32 GB RAM which will run it much faster
using all 24 threads.

From a distance there does not appear to be much visual difference between the medium and high resolution models. You can see the difference if you compare the zoomed in canopy views at the 3690X2000 screen resolution.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dennis Hirota, PhD, PE, LPLS
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
pointinator
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Joachim Vollrath
Company Details: retired
Company Position Title: retired

Post by pointinator »

Dennis,

what does it look like when you move in very closely to the scanned surfaces?

Have you already tried what it does with smaller features such as ventilation grids or picket fences? Will it just brute-force close the surfaces?

Have you already tried what it does with areas of low scanning density in larger distance to the scanner (e.g. when scanning outdoors)?

Best regards,
Joachim
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

Joachim

Attached is a close image screen shot. I do not know specifically what you are looking for, but realize that the original scans and images using the Z+F 5010C were not done to use Solidscan as a visualization tool. Because of
Solidscan, we are probably will be changing our scanning workflow. The church is over 170 years old, so there are no
air conditioning vents or heating is not required in Hawaii.

I am learning more about the Euclideon Solidscan software processing which relies heavily on image quality and
number of pixels. The attached image is cropped at a location of about 20 feet above the floor (floor at about -7 feet elevation), so the distance from the scanner to this location is about 15 feet or 5 meters.

We have tried exterior scans using our Riegl VZ400 as mentioned in the earlier post above, which used Euclideon Geoverse Convert, which just converts the point cloud into a UDS format for visualization. I will do additional posts when I have the time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
pointinator
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Joachim Vollrath
Company Details: retired
Company Position Title: retired

Post by pointinator »

Thanks Dennis,

I just wanted to see if there is a distance at which the surfaces break up and don't appear as 'solid' anymore and what close-up surface rendering looks like.

Do you mind sharing in which respect you plan to change your workflow in the future to embrace Solidscan?

Best regards,
Joachim
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

We ran some test scans at a school that we will doing 150 to 200 scans with our two Z+F 5010C and Riegl VZ400 in the next month. We scanned at superhigh resolution and low quality to get the highest practical scan point cloud and image quality for Solidscan. Each scan+HDR image averaged about 10 minutes. Each scan was about 180 MB if my memory is correct and the images were 20,000X8,888. One problem is the scan colorizing took 4 times longer with Laser Control, although the images looked great.

We were informed by the folks at Z+F that the images generated by the 5010C are optimized at high resolution
10,000X4,444. I cannot tell you what the Euclideon guys said because of the NDA.

The short answer to your question is still under test, with us probably using high resolution as we have done since
our first Z+F 5006, but on specific projects using superhigh.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
Joohansson
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: David Mattiasson
Company Details: ATS AB
Company Position Title: Solution Manager

Post by Joohansson »

This is from the Peterskirche in Vienna. This area is at least 30m from the scanner (probably around 40m). I know a Riegl scanner was used but not the settings. The cubes are larger but still solid. Solidscan uses some kind of carving technique from a solid block and not meshing or increased point size. I guess it will always be solid regardless the distance.
Solid.JPG
Solid2.JPG
Or this one from the ceiling is 25m from scanner location.
Solid3.JPG
Last edited by Joohansson on Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
JonathanLouis
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Jonathan Louis
Company Details: Evolve Consutancy
Company Position Title: Consultant
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by JonathanLouis »

Euclideon are really improving with time. I did a fair bit of testing with the Geoverse software and after many minor issues and the fact that it was quite basic when the software was first created, I ended up with some really quick streamed point cloud data. I know from the costing of Geoverse that Solidscan is probably not going to be cheap...
Anyone seen the cost of Solidscan?
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

I do not have an official Euclideon price list to send you, but the license price is US$20,000.00
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]

Return to “Third Party Software & Plugins”