Top 5 features for pointclouds

Euclideon GEOVERSE, SOLIBRI Model Checker, BCF, ScanManager, GreenSpider, GeomaticsCUBE.
Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Page
Company Details: Scott Page Design- Architectural service
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Top 5 features for pointclouds

Post by Scott »

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq6yKya ... gs=pl%2Cwn[/youtube] ~60min Nov. 2016 More about Dynamo, Grasshopper, algorithmic design etc. It's not 'Reality Capture' (except at ~42min), but it's good to know where AEC software is going:

The Future of BIM Will Not Be BIM—and It's Coming Faster than You Think
Join Bill Allen, partner and chief technologist at EvolveLAB, as he shares his predictions for the next 3 to 10 years. With advancements in generative design, software algorithms, and robotic construction, current processes will change. Rather than Building Information Modeling (BIM), we're apt to see Building Information Optimization. What does this mean for you? How do you play a part in this changing process?
sudo_ki
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: AJS
Company Details: Nomad
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Post by sudo_ki »

jedfrechette wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:32 pm
Tgl_Nan wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:19 pmBuilding features dedicated to 3D pointclouds requires a lot of work for something sold to less than 500 customers all over the world.
I think one of the weaknesses of the software ecosystem in our industry is that developers have focused to much on trying to build solutions to specific problems rather than creating tools that make it easier for users to build their own solutions.

Build a GUI for PDAL.
The problem with the one button approach is that it doesn't work. At least, not in my experience for any reasonably complex real world use case. Even when it does work there are a million problems to solve and one button per problem doesn't scale very well.
... I think this sounds like a great idea. I'm guessing nothing like this exists already; that being the case, I think it's something I may start working on. Of course it will have to continue to be open source.

Does anyone know someone with experience in PDAL and PCL, who would be interested in this?
Last edited by sudo_ki on Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by smacl »

sudo_ki wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:18 pmDoes anyone know someone with experience in PDAL and PCL, who would be interested in this?
I did a bit of work with PCL some years ago prior to writing my own point cloud engine for SCC, basically porting both the OSG anf VTK viewers into MFC. I imagine it has come a long way since, but at the time the performance wasn't nearly what I needed for the size of point clouds I was working with. Given the speed at which scanners are collecting data and also the size of UAV generated point clouds, I'd strongly recommend getting a typical modern scan dataset of ~500 million points and making sure the toolsets you're looking at can cope with this scale of data. Putting together a reasonable GUI for point clouds of this size takes a bit of thought, and it is all to easy to put together a really nice GUI that simple isn't interactive for anything other than small datasets. Been there, done that, lost many hours to many rewrites and still spend quite a lot of time hunting down optimizations. :)
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
sudo_ki
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: AJS
Company Details: Nomad
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Post by sudo_ki »

smacl wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:44 pm
sudo_ki wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:18 pmDoes anyone know someone with experience in PDAL and PCL, who would be interested in this?
I'd strongly recommend getting a typical modern scan dataset of ~500 million points and making sure the toolsets you're looking at can cope with this scale of data.
Some great advice, thank you.
I'll move this over to another thread so as not to hijack this one. :oops:

Return to “Third Party Software & Plugins”