Using images to enhance CAD-drawing from pointcloud

4M, ARES, AutoCad, BricsCAD, DraftSite, GstarCAD, IntelliCAD, LiteCAD, MicroStation, nanoCAD 21, VeCAD, ZWCAD Etc.
soranan
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Suran Khani
Company Details: SkelDK Landinspektoerer
Company Position Title: Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Using images to enhance CAD-drawing from pointcloud

Post by soranan »

Hi

Some softwares makes it possible to use calibrated images together with pointcloud. Fx TopoDOTT.
Then you can use the images with pointcloud, which optimizes the work.

My question is following: Does anyone know, If it is possible to use images taken from a Drone fx? or a 3D-Mesh in same coordinate system of pointcloud?
This method would save the time with taking images from the terrestical laserscanner.

In advance, thank you.
VXGrid
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Martin Graner
Company Details: PointCab GmbH
Company Position Title: Research and Development
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Using images to enhance CAD-drawing from pointcloud

Post by VXGrid »

Can you elaborate what you exactly mean?
You want to create a more dense point cloud by combining point cloud data with images or drone data / meshes?

Which mesh format is it?
If the mesh and the point cloud are in the same coordinate system then one can just combine them (a mesh is normally just the vertices and the conencting lines, so one can use the vertices of the mesh as own point cloud).

If it is with drone images I'd recommend to have a look at ContextCapture from Bentley:
https://www.bentley.com/en/products/bra ... extcapture
soranan
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Suran Khani
Company Details: SkelDK Landinspektoerer
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Post by soranan »

I will explain it more detailed. Let's say I have an image with known transformation parameters. XYZ, Omega, Phi, Kappa and the scale. Then I want to place this image on my pointcloud.
When working with point clouds, it is much easier to draw the needed elements if you see the areas which the points is located in. have a look at the attached image, which shows what I mean.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

This is something we added to SCC for Pegasus mobile data (see this video for an example) and also support for rectified aerial photography for working in plan. A simple 7 parameter transformation for photography will only work for rectified aerial photography which you then mesh or form a DEM using the point cloud. This is only ever going to be as good as your transformation and photo control and is likely to be of limited value around more vertical areas, overhangs, etc... The mobile LIDAR stitching I put togetheruses spherical stitching based on known camera positions, which could also provide for a better result for UAV data where you have corrected camera positions and lens corrections for each photograph. Bringing in photography over a point cloud can also be a bit of a memory hog and needs a decent workstation for large jobs. If you'd like to see what we can do, ping me over a sample of the data you've got. For rectified aerial photography, as a minimum we'd need a number of control points which include pixel and real world coordinates to form a transformation, photography and matching point cloud in LAS / E57 or similar. If you have camera positions and correction parameters, we could look at using that as well.

My feeling is that going forward most software dealing with point clouds will also end up supporting photography for the reasons that you outline. Problem is that this will also bring with it a whole new bunch of potential errors relating to mis-alignment of data. This is a very active area of development for us at present. Fun times!
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module

Return to “CAD Software”