Microstation vegetation remove

4M, ARES, AutoCad, BricsCAD, DraftSite, GstarCAD, IntelliCAD, LiteCAD, MicroStation, nanoCAD 21, VeCAD, ZWCAD Etc.
vivek4321
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: vivek singh
Company Details: pegs
Company Position Title: Scanning Manager
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Microstation vegetation remove

Post by vivek4321 »

Hello everyone,

Hi guys i am new in microstation i have point cloud data in leica cyclone software i was exported data in to xyz format (Its a terrestrial long range scanner) Now i want to remove vegetation from same can anybody guide me how can i remove unwanted points from Microstation.
start to end.
Scott.Warren
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Warren
Company Details: WSP Canada
Company Position Title: Project Manager - Geomatics Engineer

Re: Microstation vegetation remove

Post by Scott.Warren »

Some food for thought.
Using .XYZ files leave out some information that might be useful. Point clouds usually have extra information, such as RGB values, point normals, or intensity values that make life easier when processing/extraction information. When you use an XYZ format, you lose those extra pieces of information. It also is a much larger file size, as it stores the information in an ASCII format, like a text/notepad file. There are lots of formats that Cyclone can export your point cloud in a format that contain the extra information, that Microstation will be able to use (PTS,PTX,E57,etc.). POD files work great in Microstation, as they are a format created by Bently for Microstation.

There are. Also, the 2 general types of Point Cloud file types are ASCII and Binary. ASCII types tend to be useful in that they can be viewed using notepad/textpad and are arranged in an easy to understand way, but the downside is that they can be quite large. Binary formats benefit from being very compact in size, but are difficult to open and view in a word processor.

I would also think that Cyclone is better equipped to filter out vegetation than Microstation. This would be using limit boxes and fencing tools to select and remove the unwanted points within Cyclone. There are some tools, like region grow>Smooth Surface, that might help. Then you would export the Point cloud you have filtered in Cyclone to use in Microstation. Others can help point you in the direction of Software that might remove this vegetation in a more efficient manner [cue helpful vendors].

Great post on File Formats
https://www.laserscanningforum.com/foru ... .php?t=743

All the best,
Scott
jmiranda
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Jonathan Miranda
Company Details: IDOT
Company Position Title: Engineering Technician Senior

Re: Microstation vegetation remove

Post by jmiranda »

There are a couple of tools that can work for your needs. Take a look at https://new.certainty3d.com/ Topodot runs within Microstation and can do exactly what you need. Descartes is a software that might do some manual classification and is a Bentley product. Other than that, there are GIS software like QT Modeler and CloudCompare can do some classification as well.
I personally use TopoDOT (https://new.certainty3d.com/), but I'm sure there are other ways to skin the cat.

JM

Return to “CAD Software”