ReCap 360 2017

4M, ARES, AutoCad, BricsCAD, DraftSite, GstarCAD, IntelliCAD, LiteCAD, MicroStation, nanoCAD 21, VeCAD, ZWCAD Etc.
72RPG
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Juraj Knotek
Company Details: BAM Contractors
Company Position Title: BIM Technician
Skype Name: knotek72
Linkedin Profile: Yes

ReCap 360 2017

Post by 72RPG »

Does anybody has experience with ReCap 360 Pro?
Scan to mesh, cleanup service?
At moment i have only ReCap 360 with RealView ...(it is like Cyclone Trueview) and waiting for licence for ReCap 360 Pro from Autodesk.
(at least 20 times i open this software and 10 times crash :D )
Thank you
JNally
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Joe Nally
Company Details: EPS
Company Position Title: Lead Surveyor

Re: ReCap 360 2017

Post by JNally »

We Picked up a copy of Recap 360 PRO, about a 2/3 weeks ago now. Have to say that the registration capabilities are quite impressive. We are able to register scans from our P40 faster than if we were using Cyclone. That being said I am not sure about that the accuracy of registration would be quite on par with Cyclone. But when I have more information on that I will be sure to post. At the moment they only support the import of the .PRJ files from the P16, this means that I still have to import all of the Raw Scan Data from our P40 into Cyclone, then export each scan in the .PTG format. PTG is the best format to use with Recap 360 Pro. Once all of the individual scans are in and loaded you can then register them. Once that is done you get a kind of TruView of each cloud. This is at a cost of file size which are quite large. You can then proceed to Unifying making the file a lot smaller but at a cost of then loosing the Truview feature as it no longer sees each scan separately but just as one. There are a few extras such as Meshing which is limited to a maximum of 30m x 30m so if you are trying to mesh a large Point cloud this cannot do it just yet. The few things I have meshed have not come back to me yet as I have not been able to successfully download the .obj and .fbx files that were created. (That could just be something on my end)

In terms of stability and crashing. I originally had Recap 360 working on our Win7 workstation which was fine maybe every 2 out of 10 times it could crash on start up. Since then we have moved to Windows 10 on the same machine and it is working flawlessly.

Recap 360 is definitely going in the right direction. Visually the point clouds come out much better looking. The accuracy is still unknown compared to Cyclone. They have said that eventually the TruView capability will be there after unifying which I am very excited to see. Another added bonus for us is its capability to create 3D models from our Drone Surveying (DJI Inspire 1 Pro) this comes as standard with our subscription along with a 1TB Cloud Storage.

In my Opinion its well worth the Monthly fee of €40, especially once they have "ironed out" the few little things that I have mentioned.
Ryan
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Ryan Frenz
Company Details: Autodesk
Company Position Title: Engineering Manager - ReCap
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Ryan »

GrasstecGeomatics wrote: The few things I have meshed have not come back to me yet...
How long has it been? We have been working out some kinks with the beta service so there have been some periods of longer-than-expected delays. We hope to improve this over the coming weeks as we get a better handle on how people are using the service. There has been quite a lot of interest.
GrasstecGeomatics wrote:...maybe every 2 out of 10 times it could crash on start up.
72RPG wrote:(at least 20 times i open this software and 10 times crash )
It's very likely this is due to graphics drivers. ReCap should support pretty much any card sold in the last 2-3 years, but some of the 'stock' drivers that ship with Windows are old and broken. Always check that first. Also, please make sure you're on the latest hotfix for ReCap (3.0.1.5). Despite the name, it has been out for a few months and we've already released one small patch update.

If that doesn't help, please submit the crash report with your email and post back here. Our QA team can look at the details in near real-time.

Ryan
JNally
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts

Post by JNally »

Ryan wrote:How long has it been? We have been working out some kinks with the beta service so there have been some periods of longer-than-expected delays. We hope to improve this over the coming weeks as we get a better handle on how people are using the service. There has been quite a lot of interest.
It Made the mesh just fine after I uploaded it to the A360 Drive and then went back in and hit go. Once it is complete it tells me its ready to download or view in A360. But when I click Download, it opens up 2 browser pages with links (one ending in .objzip and the other .fbx) But the pages stay blank and doesnt load anything. If I select to view in A360 drive It opens it up but the .OBJ and .FBX are nowhere to be found.
Ryan wrote:It's very likely this is due to graphics drivers. ReCap should support pretty much any card sold in the last 2-3 years, but some of the 'stock' drivers that ship with Windows are old and broken. Always check that first. Also, please make sure you're on the latest hotfix for ReCap (3.0.1.5). Despite the name, it has been out for a few months and we've already released one small patch update.

We have the latest Nvidia Drivers Installed. along with all other drivers up to date.
72RPG
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Juraj Knotek
Company Details: BAM Contractors
Company Position Title: BIM Technician
Skype Name: knotek72

Post by 72RPG »

thank you Joe for information, I have full licence now and testing all features. We have P 40 and we do process data in Cyclone (with automatic registration in some cases) and i will test the same project in ReCap.
I already tried automatic cleaning in Boiler Room scans and result is not great - pipes has high reflective surface.
And testing mesh creation.
We have access to all Autodesk product, so definitely we will be using Recap and this version is big step forward.
Ryan - thank for comments and explanation.To have most updated version is very important. ( I am using Revit since 2009 and i know it is very important to have all updates)
Juraj
steveholly
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: stephen holly
Company Details: Pure Real Estate
Company Position Title: Architectural Technician

Post by steveholly »

GrasstecGeomatics wrote:We Picked up a copy of Recap 360 PRO, about a 2/3 weeks ago now. Have to say that the registration capabilities are quite impressive. We are able to register scans from our P40 faster than if we were using Cyclone. That being said I am not sure about that the accuracy of registration would be quite on par with Cyclone. But when I have more information on that I will be sure to post. At the moment they only support the import of the .PRJ files from the P16, this means that I still have to import all of the Raw Scan Data from our P40 into Cyclone, then export each scan in the .PTG format. PTG is the best format to use with Recap 360 Pro. Once all of the individual scans are in and loaded you can then register them. Once that is done you get a kind of TruView of each cloud. This is at a cost of file size which are quite large. You can then proceed to Unifying making the file a lot smaller but at a cost of then loosing the Truview feature as it no longer sees each scan separately but just as one. There are a few extras such as Meshing which is limited to a maximum of 30m x 30m so if you are trying to mesh a large Point cloud this cannot do it just yet. The few things I have meshed have not come back to me yet as I have not been able to successfully download the .obj and .fbx files that were created. (That could just be something on my end)

In terms of stability and crashing. I originally had Recap 360 working on our Win7 workstation which was fine maybe every 2 out of 10 times it could crash on start up. Since then we have moved to Windows 10 on the same machine and it is working flawlessly.

Recap 360 is definitely going in the right direction. Visually the point clouds come out much better looking. The accuracy is still unknown compared to Cyclone. They have said that eventually the TruView capability will be there after unifying which I am very excited to see. Another added bonus for us is its capability to create 3D models from our Drone Surveying (DJI Inspire 1 Pro) this comes as standard with our subscription along with a 1TB Cloud Storage.

In my Opinion its well worth the Monthly fee of €40, especially once they have "ironed out" the few little things that I have mentioned.

Currently trying to import P30 data into recap and now i know that wont work now, so thanks for the heads up!
So could you tell me the best workflow for saving multiple raw scans into ptg. format for cyclone???????

Are current project is 900 scans and about 500 GB so would like to find the quickest method for merging and believe recap could be very helpful for this!

Any advice on the above would be much appreciated.
LeicaUK_RC
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Phil Marsh
Company Details: Leica Geosystems part of Hexagon
Company Position Title: Reality Capture Director UK
Skype Name: Phil.H.Marsh

Post by LeicaUK_RC »

Steven,

If you want to get the files out of Cyclone as PTG you will have to export them in the normal way. However, it will be very time consuming to export each of your 900 scans individually. It would be much better to wait until the registration is complete in Cyclone then export this as a PTG. Recap will only read ScanStation P16 data directly and not other P-Series scanners.]

Joe,

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on why Recap is a much faster at registration than Cyclone? Is it really that much quicker and if so how? Are you using the AutoAlign feature in Cyclone?
Leica Geosystems
M: 07540 201383
E: [email protected]
W: www.leica-geosystems.com
Dave Davey
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Dave Davey
Company Details: Engineering Surveyor
Company Position Title: Director
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Dave Davey »

There's probably a good reason why it's so cheap... I did hear Autodesk had slashed the price of it and removed a zero from the end of the price tag :roll:
The accuracy is still unknown compared to Cyclone
It seems a shame you buy a high precision bit of equipment then 'potentially' loose this is the registration to save a few hours. That's a bit like buy a barometer to measure then weather then simply sticking your head of the window to check. :roll:
JNally
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts

Post by JNally »

steveholly wrote:Currently trying to import P30 data into recap and now i know that wont work now, so thanks for the heads up!
So could you tell me the best workflow for saving multiple raw scans into ptg. format for cyclone???????
Steve,

We have not yet found a faster way of doing this. Importing ScanStation Data and then individually exporting each scan as a .PTG is the fastest way to do it at the moment. I have spoken with some developers working closely with Recap PRO and they are saying that its just a matter of time before you will be able to import data from other scanners than the P16.
SCCS HDS wrote:Joe,

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on why Recap is a much faster at registration than Cyclone? Is it really that much quicker and if so how? Are you using the AutoAlign feature in Cyclone?
Phil,

We are using the registration feature in Recap Pro mainly for projects that do not require mm accuracy. Cyclone is in my opinion the better software for accuracy. In terms of speed we are finding that Recap Pro is somewhat better optimized to take advantage of the horsepower we have in our computer. I am still somewhat doubtful of the Autoalign feature as the results so far have been inconsistent. I personally use the Cloud Constraints option for registration. Ourselves we are still using Cyclone 9.1.3 as 9.1.4 has proved unstable still for us at the moment, so maybe the Autoalign function is better optimized to run on the latest version. So when we manage to get 9.1.4 up and running properly we will try it again.
Dave Davey wrote:There's probably a good reason why it's so cheap... I did hear Autodesk had slashed the price of it and removed a zero from the end of the price tag
Dave,

As stated above we don't use Recap Pro solely for our P40, its also used for generating our 3D models from our drones. We are more than pleased with the output we are getting from it. For the scanner its giving us great outputs. So as the development of it continues and becomes more refined we will be able to move with them, also with signing on at this stage we are locked into the price for the future. So for us €40 a month is a great addition to our equipment.
Dave Davey wrote:It seems a shame you buy a high precision bit of equipment then 'potentially' loose this is the registration to save a few hours. That's a bit like buy a barometer to measure then weather then simply sticking your head of the window to check.
When using Recap Pro we are being told that a minimum of 98% of our points are under 6mm, now that means that they could be well at 1mm or 2 mm but 6mm is the worst. For the Projects we are doing on Recap 6mm is more than good enough. Our Projects requiring that ultimate accuracy Cyclone is still being used. This is also being worked on to be more accurate for the future so I will report back on it as it develops.
silviaks90
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Kyle Pickering
Company Details: ONSITE3D
Company Position Title: Co-Founder

Post by silviaks90 »

I think that every iteration of Recap is improving and it's great to see as there are certain companies in the pointcloud industry that are moving in the opposite direction while still appearing to move forward. There are a few new additions that myself as a piping designer involved with alot of as-built find invaluable. Retaining photorealistic views after unifying is definitely something I would look forward to as it would drastically cut down on file size and complexity of file structure on large projects.

On my wishlist, multiple clipping boxes for isolation and deletion is HUGE.

One thing I would like to point out and it might not be a reflection on Recap and more just a me not knowing how to do it correctly scenario; is accurately setting up an origin via survey control. We shoot our survey control on site to keep everything as tight as possible, (targets, checkerboards, TOS, flanges, etc) and its all relative to the RTS grid, but currently I'm having to manually choose an origin that is really difficult to keep consistent with grabbing on to what looks like the same point. To give you an example; the last project I did. Completed registration through Scene > Recap (selected top of pile cap corner as origin)> Plant3D and modeled all structure and piping. The client requested to have a line deleted from the pointcloud so I went back in Scene and deleted it since I can't isolate well enough in R360 currently, export to Recap (tried to pick the closest point possible to my first) > back in plant3d and I can tell there was deviation from the point I picked. Not immediately, but over a couple hundred meters its a big difference. Is there something I've missed with setting up a survey control point as origin before bringing it into a modeling software?

Thanks,

Kyle
Kyle Pickering
Co-Founder and Designer, ONSITE3D

Return to “CAD Software”