NavVis VLX - wearable mapping

Discuss all NavVis related products here.
Kolt45
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Marek Koltun
Company Details: NavVis
Company Position Title: Salesguy
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: NavVis VLX - wearable mapping

Post by Kolt45 »

Jason Warren wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:47 am
Looking more and more like this is going to become a standard piece of survey kit... hope NavVis have expertise in scaling up.

Maybe time to invest in [VLDR] too... ;)
Hey Jason - so buying Graf stock now means they will automatically change into Velodyne stock soon? They have been stagnant around 10$ for 2 years and doubled it two 20 in past month or so (pic attached).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1

Post by gsisman »

smacl wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:22 am
landmeterbeuckx wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:54 am
Vlx will blast away the blk2go. Maybe not with people already in the Leia environment but certainly those with other scanners already!
Or Hexagon buy out NavVis to get their software technology for the BLK2GO form factor ;)
Shane, that's the more probable route... :shock:

Veit
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Veit Streicher
Company Details: Navvis
Company Position Title: Technical Account Manager

Post by Veit »

dhirota wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:00 am

We used approximately 35 Z+F checker targets for the Z+F5010X and 15 of those for the NavVis VLX.

10.ANCHOR-LOG-07-11-2020 01-02-48 PM.jpg
Hi Dennis,
thank you for sharing some details on the registration quality of the VLX data with your surveyed targets. Looks like all points are within a range of below 8mm absolute. As far as I see on your screenshots the targets were properly spread over the object. How did you feel taking the control points on the walls and not only on the ground?

Regards
Veit

dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dennis Hirota
Company Details: Sam O. Hirota Inc.
Company Position Title: President

Post by dhirota »

Veit wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:39 am
dhirota wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:00 am

We used approximately 35 Z+F checker targets for the Z+F5010X and 15 of those for the NavVis VLX.

10.ANCHOR-LOG-07-11-2020 01-02-48 PM.jpg
Hi Dennis,
thank you for sharing some details on the registration quality of the VLX data with your surveyed targets. Looks like all points are within a range of below 8mm absolute. As far as I see on your screenshots the targets were properly spread over the object. How did you feel taking the control points on the walls and not only on the ground?

Regards
Veit
Veit
After a week of practice with many staff, we decided it was just as easy to place the targets on walls as we normally do.
Dennis Hirota, PhD, PE, LPLS
[email protected]

smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

dhirota wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:34 pm
Veit
After a week of practice with many staff, we decided it was just as easy to place the targets on walls as we normally do.
Where I'd imagine it would be invaluable is in tying into someone else's preexisting ground control on a large project, notably on long linear jobs such as tunnels where C2C just isn't going to meet spec and the control needs to be surveyed. Also of course on external topo where you might not have any walls ;)

dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

smacl wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:57 pm
dhirota wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:34 pm
Veit
Where I'd imagine it would be invaluable is in tying into someone else's preexisting ground control on a large project, notably on long linear jobs such as tunnels where C2C just isn't going to meet spec and the control needs to be surveyed. Also of course on external topo where you might not have any walls ;)
Shane

That is the secret of the niche market is to figure out the workflow before you buy it with cash (or a large enough credit limit on your CC). And then test it like hell in the shortest amount of time possible before your Amazon return period expires. On Wednesday we are using our VLX with our surveyors to topographic survey a high end resort, where the suite room rates are US$2,000 to US$25,000 per night depending on whether you want the suite furniture to be exchanged from resort's standard catalog. The interesting value of the NavVis VLX approach to targets/controls is that you can place them on walls or on the ground as we are planning to do for this resort project.

The other LESSON LEARNED is to stay in business for 57 years and keep all your survey information and DB so that you can use it for controls in the future.
[email protected]

dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

Someone asked for some sections of our VLX scans of the roof posted above

viewtopic.php?p=87311#p87311

These screen shots were displayed and captured on our new 82 inch, 4K Samsung TV/monitor with believe it or not a 7 year Samsung + Costco warranty for a total of US$2500 including the ridiculous Hawaii tax and US$100 warranty. Our "old" 75 inch 4K Samsung was 6.5 years old, but only had 5 year warranty which expired and did not have a beautiful QLED screen like this one.

Screenshot from 2020-07-16 15-47-58.jpg
Screenshot from 2020-07-16 15-48-51.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
[email protected]

dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

This is where the VLX will become interesting. Outside with mostly dense vegetation and limited amount of surfaces (This is where our market is located in the very high-end resorts).

We did a standard (for Hawaii), topographic survey using total stations because of the large overhead trees. Placed targets along cart paths. We had some issues with long scans (still checking). While we are post-processing and merging 6 scans, I decided to show one scan in the event that the post-processing took too long or something did not work out perfectly (like it was a bad cloudy day, which it was for this resort).

1.Screenshot from 2020-07-17 19-43-41.jpg

Recorded File Size = 7.0 GB
Post-Process file Size = 12.1 GB
Web File Size = 8.1 GB
Total File Size =27.2 GB

Total Data Recording/scanning Time = 15 minutes

Approximate area covered in db = 10,400 square meters

2.Screenshot from 2020-07-17 19-47-15.jpg
3.Screenshot from 2020-07-17 19-48-20.jpg

Hopefully we will be able to show the target registered areas in the near future.
[email protected]

dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

This is another real project on a major high-end resort using our NavVis VLX as a visual check on many of the pathways and distances from buildings under the large trees. We did check with total stations and did not use targets along all the pathways, but as means to verify the VLX positions along its routes. We did not plan to cover the resort completely, therefore there are missing parts along the beach areas since they were not important for this project.

For those that have not seen vegetation like this growing in most of locations of the resort on solid volcanic lava.

1.07-19-2020 03-52-53 PM.jpg

Total area scanned = 45,376 square meters
Total length scanned = 1,953 meters
Total registered point cloud = 524.7 million points
Number of images = 1,820

2.07-19-2020 04-00-19 PM.jpg

Automatically registered (no manual effort, except the script loading) and converted the individual registered scans into LAS (second script) from the VLX scans with targets to import them into RECAP. The RECAP import process took 35m:23sec.

3.07-19-2020 04-02-09 PM.jpg
4.07-19-2020 04-03-36 PM.jpg

That is the end
[email protected]

GeorgSchroth
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Georg Schroth
Company Details: NavVis
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by GeorgSchroth »

Nice scans Dennis! I think a lot of people envy you for your type of jobs ;)

BTW: some of you for sure know Sean Higgins. Sean knows the laser scanning industry inside out due to his time at SPAR3D.
With SLAM technology starting to see mainstream adoption and many people considering to buy a mobile scanner as their next device, we asked him to write an article that gives guidance and background knowledge to make the right decision.
Have a look and let me know what you think :)

https://www.navvis.com/blog/how-slam-af ... improve-it

Return to “NavVis”