NavVis VLX - wearable mapping

Discuss all NavVis related products here.
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: NavVis wearable mapping

Post by gsisman »

GeorgSchroth wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 1:08 pm The wait is almost over: NavVis is taking the next big step in mobile mapping already in a few days! If you haven't already, make sure you sign up to be the first to know: https://hubs.ly/H0qgx6J0

Really excited to share data and screenshots with you :) If I look at the current state of the point cloud quality: To say it with Jasons words "Something to look forward to!" ;)
Full Demo on the VLX yesterday in a parking garage in Bethesda (A garage totally scanned with an RTC360 18 months ago) Tied into some of the same control used. We'll see the comparisons next week hopefully when I get the E57 & LAS exports from Marek K. in NY......
Last edited by gsisman on Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carbix
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Daniel Loney
Company Details: Excelsior Measuring
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by Carbix »

gsisman wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:46 am
GeorgSchroth wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 1:08 pm The wait is almost over: NavVis is taking the next big step in mobile mapping already in a few days! If you haven't already, make sure you sign up to be the first to know: https://hubs.ly/H0qgx6J0

Really excited to share data and screenshots with you :) If I look at the current state of the point cloud quality: To say it with Jasons words "Something to look forward to!" ;)
Full Demo on the VLX yesterday in a parking garage in Bethesda (A garage totally scanned with an RTC360 18 months ago) Tied into some of the same control used. We'll see the comparisons next week hopefully when I get the E57 & LAS exports from Markel in NY......
Please please please share the data. At least in a review and image.
Daniel Loney - Owner
Excelsior Measuring inc.
Vancouver - Okanagan - Calgary
www.ExcelsiorLevel.com
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

Carbix wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:17 am
gsisman wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:46 am

Full Demo on the VLX yesterday in a parking garage in Bethesda (A garage totally scanned with an RTC360 18 months ago) Tied into some of the same control used. We'll see the comparisons next week hopefully when I get the E57 & LAS exports from Markel in NY......
Please please please share the data. At least in a review and image.
same question here. independent data is what i want to see.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
LorenzLachauer
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Lorenz Lachauer
Company Details: NavVis GmbH
Company Position Title: Head of Solutions

Re: NavVis VLX - wearable mapping

Post by LorenzLachauer »

Hi all, I am happy to announce to you that we have been able to conduct and evaluate three specific test scenarios with NavVis VLX, and evaluated absolute and relative accuracy of the data. In two scenarios we compared against a TLS point cloud, in the third scenario we compared with a highly accurate 2D plan created with a total station. The document is available for download here: https://www.navvis.com/resources/navvis ... y-handbook. I am looking forward to your thoughts!
GeorgSchroth
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Georg Schroth
Company Details: NavVis
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by GeorgSchroth »

As many of you know, we have done a live demo mapping during our webinar on June 4th. Have tried to answer a huge amount of questions during the session and are still getting back to those that we did not manage to answer in the allowed time.

You can watch the webinar here: https://www.navvis.com/vlx-live-webinar and ask questions in this forum such that I can answer them.
The point cloud from our demo mapping is also available for download at the same link (we did not do any cleaning or modification to make it as transparent as possible).

When it comes to numbers on accuracy Lorenz from NavVis has just released a whitepaper which evaluates VLX local and global accuracy in three senarious. He has posted the link just before me but here it is again: https://www.navvis.com/resources/navvis ... y-handbook

As a short teaser I was just recording a screen capture where I walk around our IndoorViewer in this live mapping data:

youtu.be/RoABrAsRkR8
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by gsisman »

LorenzLachauer wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:11 pm Hi all, I am happy to announce to you that we have been able to conduct and evaluate three specific test scenarios with NavVis VLX, and evaluated absolute and relative accuracy of the data. In two scenarios we compared against a TLS point cloud, in the third scenario we compared with a highly accurate 2D plan created with a total station. The document is available for download here: https://www.navvis.com/resources/navvis ... y-handbook. I am looking forward to your thoughts!
Looking forward to getting our datasets back on Monday.
Had a great review of software, processing and a peek view of the data (SLAM ONLY processing was done), Marek (NY) today. We are now waiting for the registration to control as a comparison of the two processing techniques on the parking garage.
Let's just say I was EXTREMELY impressed by what I saw. After processing and cleaning for weeks on that garage back in 2018-2019 with RTC VIS technology,, it will be very interesting to see these comparisons.
Processing time is long BUT largely unattended from the reports.

Here is a little screen clip of a log report from one of three paths we did.
7000+ SQ Meters area
600+ linear meters walked
157 Panos taken
24+ minutes time
Acquired data inaccessible with the RTC at the original time

https://www.screencast.com/t/Fi4QSlgj
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by gsisman »

LorenzLachauer wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:11 pm Hi all, I am happy to announce to you that we have been able to conduct and evaluate three specific test scenarios with NavVis VLX, and evaluated absolute and relative accuracy of the data. In two scenarios we compared against a TLS point cloud, in the third scenario we compared with a highly accurate 2D plan created with a total station. The document is available for download here: https://www.navvis.com/resources/navvis ... y-handbook. I am looking forward to your thoughts!
Looking forward to getting our datasets back on Monday.
Had a great review of software, processing and a peek view of the data (SLAM ONLY processing was done), Marek (NY) today. We are now waiting for the registration to control as a comparison of the two processing techniques on the parking garage.
Let's just say I was EXTREMELY impressed by what I saw. After processing and cleaning for weeks on that garage back in 2018-2019 with RTC VIS technology,, it will be very interesting to see these comparisons.
Processing time is long BUT largely unattended from the reports.

Here is a little screen clip of a log report from one of three paths we did.
https://www.screencast.com/t/Fi4QSlgj

7000+ SQ Meters area
600+ linear meters walked
157 Panos taken
24+ minutes time

Acquired data inaccessible with the RTC at the original time

https://www.screencast.com/t/7Ktv5CtP

https://www.screencast.com/t/kFR4en6r92

One other cool item, the indoor navigator. Has immediate future application for a WHOLE LOT of County locations
NAVVIS SOFTWARE INDOOR NAVIGATION 2020-06-19_11-57-04.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dennis Hirota
Company Details: Sam O Hirota Inc
Company Position Title: President

Post by dhirota »

Steve and Marek

https://bethesda-parking.iv.navvis.com

Great scans and showing the Scanner-in-Chief

06-19-2020 05-05-03 PM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dennis Hirota, PhD, PE, LPLS
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

I decided to try meshing the NavVis VLX demo scans with different meshing applications to see how they might work out.

The demo VLX scan was of Blutenburg Strasse in front of the NavVis office in Munich, DE. The version that I downloaded was 128Mpts in a PLY file, gridded to 10mm. Total size = 3,890,512KB.

TOTAL128Mpts--06-24-2020 03-34-24 PM.jpg

The red rectangle locates approximate area that I fenced off to use for meshing. The area used contained 58Mpts and meshed to 117,293,160 faces.

117M-FACES-06-24-2020 12-58-37 PM.jpg

All areas meshed are the same size (the 117M face was cropped to show more detail in the pavement). I reduced the number of faces to see how much smaller I could get the mesh. I reduced the number of faces to 5.5 M as a trial (5 to 10% remaining).

5.5M-FACES-06-24-2020 12-14-53 PM.jpg

5.5M-FACES-06-24-2020 12-13-06 PM.jpg

Lighting and other experiments need additional work.

If others are using meshing software applications, it would be interesting to see them work on the NavVis demo software, since the spacing of grid at 10mm may produce situations to evaluate how different systems execute decimation.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

I decided to try some larger NavVis VLX demo files and see how they respond to processing.

I obtained an E57 file from Marek Koltun of NavVis, NYC

SOHOVLX, E57=11.2GB, 444,845,248 pts.

Marek said he captured the NYC street level in approximately 30 minutes and the 3 subway/stairwell areas in another 30 minutes for a total of one hour.

E57-11.2GB-6-25-2020 10-16-24 AM.jpg

E57-SUBWAY-6-25-2020 10-19-28 AM.jpg
1.6-25-2020 9-53-54 AM.jpg
2-6-25-2020 9-58-04 AM.jpg
3-6-25-2020 10-12-07 AM.jpg

Not sure on what type of processing I will do yet.
Last edited by dhirota on Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]

Return to “NavVis”