NavVis M6 point cloud data quality

Discuss all NavVis related products here.
GeorgSchroth
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Georg Schroth
Company Details: NavVis
Company Position Title: Managing Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: NavVis M6 point cloud data quality

Post by GeorgSchroth »

dhirota wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:16 pm Georg

What most thread reader's are missing is the significant quality thinking that the NavVIS team has focused on the design, fabrication, post-processing and implementation of the M6 and support software. To observe this from the output alone is difficult because of the limited number of M6 available to use and the restricted ability to observe the detailed logging of NavVIS SiteMaker software post-processing. We are lucky that I built a 36 thread workstation system to track the NavVIS post-processing. We are planning to build a 128 thread computer as parts become available in several months.

Unfortunately, I do not have the time to list all of the special software features that are in SiteMaker such as ray tracing, footprint removal, recoloring points, global exposure compensation to name a few. What is important for us is the ability to have improved processing speed and quality on a continuing basis.
Thanks Dennis!
By the way the video we showed on our partner summit 2019 to show the improvements over the last months has been uploaded meanwhile here:

youtu.be/8s9PfmqrmN4
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd

Post by smacl »

Just downloaded the sample data, fantastic quality of data and incredibly compact for what is being represented. Moving around the cloud it appears to be noise free, with a very even point coverage. I'm guessing this is a combined scan + photogrammetry derived solution to give this balance, as I can't think how a scanner alone would manage this, with no visible profiling pattern or obvious noise.
nav1.jpg
Only downside to this is that on close examination, it appears the noise has been smoothed into the final solution to some extent, as cutting a section shows no sharp corners and a small distortion around the corners (~25mm worst case on closer inspection).
nav2.jpg
nav3.jpg
I'm guessing this is a function of data smoothing parameters specified during processing, which seems to involve a full 3d surface fit across all points to a tolerance of 1mm. Not sure if these artifacts could be removed by lowering that tolerance a bit.

Have to say I'm hugely impressed with what has been achieved here and end product produced, in terms of both quality and point cloud size.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
JackM
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Jack
Company Details: SpectisGB
Company Position Title: Technical Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by JackM »

This looks impressive, well done.

Some of our recent jobs have had buildings with upwards of 600 rooms across multiple floors, doing that with a traditional static scanner can take a while so it made sense to look into look into SLAM based stuff as it seems to be improving a lot.

The only stuff that puts us off is the software side of things.
A fair few of our clients absolutely love the Scene2Go stuff that Faro have produced as it allows general office staff to browse a location, measure, see images and whatnot, very similar to what you guys are showing off here.
This makes it hard to offer them anything else if it doesn't come with that sort of thing. That could be unique to us as we supplied them with it and they now can't live without it, but i'm sure other people have had similar experiences.

Plenty of our clients can't access certain websites or cant install software on their machines so having something portable like that is ideal.
If anyone can nail that then you're on to a winner, if that is already possible with NavVis then consider me impressed, i had assumed that it was all on your cloud service.

Either way, this looks great and i'll be keeping my eye on it going forward.
GeorgSchroth
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts

Post by GeorgSchroth »

smacl wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:13 am I'm guessing this is a function of data smoothing parameters specified during processing, which seems to involve a full 3d surface fit across all points to a tolerance of 1mm. Not sure if these artifacts could be removed by lowering that tolerance a bit.

Have to say I'm hugely impressed with what has been achieved here and end product produced, in terms of both quality and point cloud size.
Thanks! Yes, what you see is one of the two point cloud outputs generated by the M6. There is a second point cloud where we allow for more noise but sharper edges (see the screenshot). As you can see in the less filtered point cloud or the panos, there is a small elevation at the door frame of around 2cm. So the deviation to the actual door frame is around 5-8mm at this point due to the smoothing / filtering.
Thanks for pointing that out! We are currently working on making the edges even more precise to get the best of both worlds.
Screenshot 2020-01-29 at 16.24.26.png
Screenshot 2020-01-29 at 16.46.49.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by GeorgSchroth on Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GeorgSchroth
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts

Post by GeorgSchroth »

JackM wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:38 am Plenty of our clients can't access certain websites or cant install software on their machines so having something portable like that is ideal.
If anyone can nail that then you're on to a winner, if that is already possible with NavVis then consider me impressed, i had assumed that it was all on your cloud service.

Either way, this looks great and i'll be keeping my eye on it going forward.
Thanks Jack! There is actually the option to install NavVis IndoorViewer on your own PC locally or on an intranet server (either via Docker on Win or Mac, or on Ubuntu). Sometimes larger companies have that as an requirement.

Personally I feel that it is valuable to have this massive data streamed to the browser vs shipping files back and forth and having different versions at different people. That's why I encourage the usage of a hosted version.
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd

Post by smacl »

GeorgSchroth wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:59 pm
smacl wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:13 am I'm guessing this is a function of data smoothing parameters specified during processing, which seems to involve a full 3d surface fit across all points to a tolerance of 1mm. Not sure if these artifacts could be removed by lowering that tolerance a bit.

Thanks! Yes, what you see is one of the two point cloud outputs generated by the M6. There is a second point cloud where we allow for more noise but sharper edges (see the screenshot). As you can see in the less filtered point cloud or the panos, there is a small elevation at the door frame of around 2cm. So the deviation to the actual door frame is around 5-8mm at this point due to the smoothing / filtering.
Thanks for pointing that out! We are currently working on making the edges even more precise to get the best of both worlds.

Screenshot 2020-01-29 at 16.24.26.png
Nice work, Georg! Any chance of getting a copy of the unsmoothed point cloud?
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dennis Hirota
Company Details: Sam O Hirota Inc
Company Position Title: President

Post by dhirota »

smacl wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:05 pm ... approach to accuracy utilising total station measurements. Do you have the above job available a point cloud in E57, LAZ or similar format? Also, is this device purely intended for indoor built environments or have you also used it elsewhere?
Shane

We recently completed a project which used three different sensors (NavVIS-M6 used inside and partially outside building; Riegl VZ400i used outside in site area; and Z+F 5016 with LED lights in crawl space and MEP attic in dark spaces without building lighting) with approximately 150 Z+F paper targets that were total station surveyed on a overall all coordinate system for registration.

M6 data was post-processed on a 5mm grid with the slam anchor targets (Z+F paper targets) and the data from the three sensors converted to Recap and inserted into Revit for creating the model shown below with the colored point cloud.

START-2-small.jpg

REVIT-2-small.jpg

NAVVIS-2-small.jpg

CRAWL-SPACE-3-SMALL.jpg
Dennis Hirota, PhD, PE, LPLS
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
GeorgSchroth
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts

Post by GeorgSchroth »

smacl wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:01 pm
Nice work, Georg! Any chance of getting a copy of the unsmoothed point cloud?
Just sent you a mail :)
GeorgSchroth
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts

Post by GeorgSchroth »

smacl wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:13 am I'm guessing this is a combined scan + photogrammetry derived solution to give this balance, as I can't think how a scanner alone would manage this, with no visible profiling pattern or obvious noise.
By the way, I missed mentioning that this is indeed a laser scanner only point cloud :)
Quite some work went to achieving this through probabilistic filtering of the raw measurements.
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

dhirota wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:44 pm
smacl wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:05 pm ... approach to accuracy utilising total station measurements. Do you have the above job available a point cloud in E57, LAZ or similar format? Also, is this device purely intended for indoor built environments or have you also used it elsewhere?
Shane

We recently completed a project which used three different sensors (NavVIS-M6 used inside and partially outside building; Riegl VZ400i used outside in site area; and Z+F 5016 with LED lights in crawl space and MEP attic in dark spaces without building lighting) with approximately 150 Z+F paper targets that were total station surveyed on a overall all coordinate system for registration.

M6 data was post-processed on a 5mm grid with the slam anchor targets (Z+F paper targets) and the data from the three sensors converted to Recap and inserted into Revit for creating the model shown below with the colored point cloud.

START-2-small.jpg

REVIT-2-small.jpg

NAVVIS-2-small.jpg

CRAWL-SPACE-3-SMALL.jpg
Nice one Dennis. I've been playing around a bit with the same data from Navvis as Shane. I've imported it in Pointcab but get wobbly walls and no straight corners.
How do you treat these datasets in Revit. Seems difficult to evaluate the data for consistency.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]

Return to “NavVis”