NavVis M6 point cloud data quality

Discuss all NavVis related products here.
GeorgSchroth
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Georg Schroth
Company Details: NavVis
Company Position Title: Managing Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

NavVis M6 point cloud data quality

Post by GeorgSchroth »

At NavVis we constantly improve the data quality you get out of our scanning systems through software updates. That means that even a dataset you recorded, e.g., a year ago, can be reprocessed with the newest software and you get it to the latest quality level. We do this by recording and storing the raw sensor readings.

Since sometimes "point cloud quality" refers to quite a few aspects of a PC (local & global accuracy, resolution, sharpness of edges, cleanness, texture, etc), I would be interested to hear what you like about the latest M6 data quality and where we should focus next.

Have a look at this short screen capture I did today on a recently mapped office building. Let me know what you think.

youtu.be/36BzqtAynSY
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dennis Hirota
Company Details: Sam O Hirota Inc
Company Position Title: President

Re: NavVis M6 point cloud data quality

Post by dhirota »

Here is a project from last year on a similar HNL project that required 2 days of scanning and 2 days of registration with a tripod scanner according to the client. We required less than a day for our M6 and registration.

2.KAPOLEI-PS-2019-10-20 00-53-13.jpg

3.KAPOLEI-PS-2019-10-20 01-00-42.jpg

3 levels including outside building and parking
1,368 images
228 panoramas
82.292 Mpts filtered to 5mm grid
no targets
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dhirota on Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dennis Hirota, PhD, PE, LPLS
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
Ioannis
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Ioannis Papas
Company Details: techical office
Company Position Title: CEO
Skype Name: -

Post by Ioannis »

How you move around m6 seems to be heavy and bulky.
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

The M6 is on a trolley with inflated tires and the tires can be orientation changed to narrow the width. It is better to use smaller operators like myself so that you can capture lower, more complete images and scans (just a personal opinion).

The important part of the capture is complete scanning (scanners are on all the time) and close spacing of the image capture for beautiful panoramas.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
Ioannis
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Ioannis Papas
Company Details: techical office
Company Position Title: CEO
Skype Name: -

Post by Ioannis »

Navvis has a great solution but is a bit heavy, how you downloaded from your car it needs a small track.. As i see Slam technology is the future as laser scanning but it needs more precise results..
GeorgSchroth
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts

Post by GeorgSchroth »

Ioannis wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:32 am How you move around m6 seems to be heavy and bulky.
Hello Ioannis,

we have built it on wheels to allow for scanning larger buildings like this 12 story office building, complete factories and plants, but also outdoors. Also we wanted to use the best cameras in the market to get high resolution panoramas (6x16MP), which are key for as-is documentation. Last but not least, the M6 uses 4 laser scanners to create complete and accurate point clouds with very little occlusions as fast as possible. The 12 story building was scanned in 2 days.

But I agree, hand held scanners like the GeoSLAM revo are great for quick scans and quite a few of our partners have them in addition.

Have a look here to check out the M6 pano quality (actually our office in Munich :)

GeorgSchroth
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts

Post by GeorgSchroth »

Ioannis wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:19 pm Navvis has a great solution but is a bit heavy, how you downloaded from your car it needs a small track.. As i see Slam technology is the future as laser scanning but it needs more precise results..
Yes, but we have to define what is good enough for what. We came a long way, but we meanwhile hear from our partners that the M6 quality as of mid last years SW version is good enough for a big portion of their work and that they can apply for work which was not addressable with static laser scanning only.
Did you have a chance to check out the quality report of M6? https://www.navvis.com/resources/accuracy-handbook
We invested quite some time to develop some reproducible metrics and want to make it more comprehensive in the near future. What are your thoughts?
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd

Post by smacl »

Really great looking data Georg and I like your approach to accuracy utilising total station measurements. Do you have the above job available a point cloud in E57, LAZ or similar format? Also, is this device purely intended for indoor built environments or have you also used it elsewhere?
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
GeorgSchroth
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts

Post by GeorgSchroth »

smacl wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:05 pm Really great looking data Georg and I like your approach to accuracy utilising total station measurements. Do you have the above job available a point cloud in E57, LAZ or similar format? Also, is this device purely intended for indoor built environments or have you also used it elsewhere?
Thanks, I will forward the feedback to the team :)
I can try to ask the customer for allowance but what I can share right away is a sample point cloud and panos at https://www.navvis.com/resources/sample-data . Let me know if you need more or even want a demo scan done by our team.

The M6 is designed with indoors in mind, but almost all partners use it outdoors as well. There is even an option to extend the range to around 80m to cover larger areas. Have a look at https://hq.iv.navvis.com/?vlon=1.36&vla ... mage=15558 to see the outdoor scan around our office. If you activate the point cloud view and set it to high quality you can see that we did not activate the long range option in this dataset. Yet quality should be good :)
Screenshot 2020-01-28 at 16.43.50.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

GeorgSchroth wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:11 pm At NavVis we constantly improve the data quality you get out of our scanning systems through software updates. That means that even a dataset you recorded, e.g., a year ago, can be reprocessed with the newest software and you get it to the latest quality level. We do this by recording and storing the raw sensor readings.

Since sometimes "point cloud quality" refers to quite a few aspects of a PC (local & global accuracy, resolution, sharpness of edges, cleanness, texture, etc), I would be interested to hear what you like about the latest M6 data quality and where we should focus next.
Georg

What most thread reader's are missing is the significant quality thinking that the NavVIS team has focused on the design, fabrication, post-processing and implementation of the M6 and support software. To observe this from the output alone is difficult because of the limited number of M6 available to use and the restricted ability to observe the detailed logging of NavVIS SiteMaker software post-processing. We are lucky that I built a 36 thread workstation system to track the NavVIS post-processing. We are planning to build a 128 thread computer as parts become available in several months.

Unfortunately, I do not have the time to list all of the special software features that are in SiteMaker such as ray tracing, footprint removal, recoloring points, global exposure compensation to name a few. What is important for us is the ability to have improved processing speed and quality on a continuing basis.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]

Return to “NavVis”