Leica BLK2Go

Discuss all BLK2GO | BLK2GO Pulse | BLK2FLY related products here.
Phil Marsh
Administrator
Administrator
Full Name: Phil Marsh
Company Details: Laser Scanning Forum Ltd
Company Position Title: Director
Skype Name: phil.h.marsh
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Leica BLK2Go

Post by Phil Marsh »

I find it easier to use the data copy tool to download the data then import once on the desktop.

What version of REG360 did you use to import the data above?
LASER SCANNING FORUM
[email protected]
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dennis Hirota
Company Details: Sam O Hirota Inc
Company Position Title: President

Post by dhirota »

Phil
dhirota wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:36 am ... I used the most recent version of Register360 (2020.0.0), BLK2GO without VIS and no paper target recognition.
Since I had no help in the BLK2GO processing, I just used Andy Fontana's "Intro to BLK2GO Processing" on YouTube. If there is a better workflow, I suggest that you convey it to LGS to update the video and remove the older version.
Dennis Hirota, PhD, PE, LPLS
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
Scott.Warren
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Warren
Company Details: WSP Canada
Company Position Title: Project Manager - Geomatics Engineer

Post by Scott.Warren »

dhirota wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:53 pm If there is a better workflow, I suggest that you convey it to LGS to update the video and remove the older version.
Good luck. Leica isn't known for updating their training, or providing easy access to topics past the introductions.
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

An interesting observation on this thread since I posted the use of the BLK2GO at the HLR Park on the LSF two days ago.

2,000 total viewers including guests, with 50 registered members in the total, a ratio of 40:1 with two comments.

I received valuable comments from friends that I shared several of the other scans taken with the BLK2GO that I have not shared on the LSF. The FEDEX Easter Bunny will be returning the "borrowed" BLK2GO this week. We will also be scanning our office property (one of the most scanned and targeted buildings in Hawaii) with the other sensors that we have at our disposal after scanning it with the BLK2GO.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

Phil Marsh wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:24 am I find it easier to use the data copy tool to download the data then import once on the desktop.

What version of REG360 did you use to import the data above?
Scott.Warren wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:36 am
dhirota wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:53 pm If there is a better workflow, I suggest that you convey it to LGS to update the video and remove the older version.
Good luck. Leica isn't known for updating their training, or providing easy access to topics past the introductions.
I was not going to respond, since Scott gave some Good Luck, I decided it was worth pursuing. Needed to do some extra digging to find the BLK Data Manager v2020.0.0 that was introduced as the BLK360 Data Manager in 2018 on the LSF, but no input since the last two years. Current version is for both BLK360 and BLK2GO.

All processing for this information was using my Ryzen 3990X system with 64-cores and 256GB RAM.

04-19-2020 04-30-08 PM.jpg
4-19-2020 1-08-25 PM.jpg
4-19-2020 1-33-37 PM.jpg
04-19-2020 04-11-08 PM.jpg

This is about it for now. There have been approximately 6,000 views since I posted the HLR Park last Sunday. I hope people learned something. We have completed 25 Walks/scans with the BLK2GO in the last week which is interesting considering the Hawaii Governor and the Mayor of HNL have shut everything down and the Hawaii unemployment rate is 37% since last week. There are unanswered items, such as recognizing paper targets which is important for us that use paper targets on almost all projects, especially with SLAM SENSORS.

We are scheduling our most un-conventional scan tomorrow before the FEDEX Easter Bunny takes the BLK2GO home to where it belongs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
TrentM
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Isaac Miller
Company Details: As-Built Surveying
Company Position Title: Principal

Post by TrentM »

Hi,

How does the BLK2GO preform in occupied environments, meaning like scanning an apartment while its residents are are milling around? I often find myself scanning in residential spaces with people in the way (can't chase them out of their homes...) I previously used the Kaarta Contour which failed in tight spaces especially with people around. So I'd like to know how the BLK2GO would preform. Thanks!
Scott.Warren
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Warren
Company Details: WSP Canada
Company Position Title: Project Manager - Geomatics Engineer

Post by Scott.Warren »

When we did our office, we had people milling around, or following the BLK2Go user as they scanned. a static person can block just as much data as any other method of scanning. People walking behind the use blocked some data taken behind the scanner as it moved. I can't say to how often you will pass/fail a scan in a densely occupied area, but our office had no real issue getting a solution with minor foot traffic.
Mick1978
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Michael Howard
Company Details: Taratest
Company Position Title: Technical assistant

Post by Mick1978 »

Our company recently purchased a BLK2GO. The purchasing team were impressed by its speed and ease of use.

We mostly do geolocated work so we rely heavily on black and white targets. Our experience so far with the BLK2GO in locating and registering our scans has been difficult to say the least. Leica have provided pretty much no help on this issue; with training lacking in detail, they didn't even initially give us trial software(!!) and there don't seem to be any videos available that can help us on this. The BLK simply doesn't pick up our targets.

We've also tried spheres but again the BLK2GO doesn't pick them up. We're starting to think that the device simply isn't able to do this.

My only potential workaround would be to use our P40 to scan a couple of rooms with black and white targets, scan the rest with the BLK2GO and cloud align to the P40 scans. But again this kinda goes against the whole 'plug n play' philosophy of the BLK2GO.

Right now, this doesn't appear to be a useful instrument; we have tons of lovely scans but no way of registering them and nowhere to put them. We can't book any jobs with the device until these issues are resolved. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
Mick1978
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Michael Howard
Company Details: Taratest
Company Position Title: Technical assistant

Post by Mick1978 »

pburrows145 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:03 pm
Mick1978 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:22 am
pburrows145 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:49 am

Manually add a vertex where needed - (Not so easy to pin-point the middle of a target from mobile data (even with colour)), or use sphere extraction (not personally tried this yet...). You can use the "virtual target" function in Cyclone REGISTER 360 also.
Do you have a workflow for this? Also how many targets should we take? We're basically learning to use this and Register 360 from scratch.
You only need targets if you want to geo-reference. Ensure you do all the training courses here: https://learning.leica-geosystems.com/login/index.php (activated with a valid CCP).
What specific course would you recommend to us to allow us to geo-reference BLK2GO scans? We are now four months down the line, without a workflow and no jobs done with this device.
LeicaUK_RC
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Phil Marsh
Company Details: Leica Geosystems part of Hexagon
Company Position Title: Reality Capture Director UK
Skype Name: Phil.H.Marsh

Post by LeicaUK_RC »

I would recommend you complete the ‘REGISTER 360’ course you can understand the software and how to register static scans.

I would also speak to your local Leica rep who you purchased it from as they will be able to guide you with this product and hep you find the right projects for the equipment.

These series of videos from Andy Fontana will also help in using the kit....
Leica Geosystems
M: 07540 201383
E: [email protected]
W: www.leica-geosystems.com

Return to “Leica BLK2GO | BLK2GO PULSE | BLK2FLY”