Leica BLK2Go

Discuss all BLK2GO | BLK2GO Pulse | BLK2FLY related products here.
Ioannis
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Ioannis Papas
Company Details: techical office
Company Position Title: CEO
Skype Name: -
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Leica BLK2Go

Post by Ioannis »

Here is a cheaper solution but it depends the lumen that you want.
https://www.scan-go.eu/en/categoria-pro ... ts/page/2/
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dennis Hirota
Company Details: Sam O Hirota Inc
Company Position Title: President

Post by dhirota »

Since 2019 there has been 100 replies and 123,668 views on this thread for the BLK2GO, I thought I would add another one.

I managed to "borrow" a BLK2GO in April, 2020, and posted our trial scans on LSF on April 12, 2020

https://www.laserscanningforum.com/foru ... 267#p85267

At that time, I decided not to purchase the BLK2GO because of the "spaghetti" point clouds.

We instead purchased a mobile scanner, a NavVIS VLX almost 4 years ago. I posted some information on our initial use on the LSF on July 5, 2020:

https://www.laserscanningforum.com/foru ... 122#p87122

I posted a VLX and BLK2GO scan comparison on July 7, 2020

https://www.laserscanningforum.com/foru ... 8&start=80

After discussing our situation with many people, I decided to purchase a BLK2GO since we already have Cyclone Core and Register 360+ to process the scans. The software needs some help, but talking to some people I discovered that help might be available. One of the items is the FILTER LEVEL FOR BLK IMPORT (look at the help) for IMPORT posted below.

FILTER LEVEL FOR BLK IMPORT UNCHECKED.jpg
FILTER LEVEL HIGH FOR BLK IMPORT.jpg
FILTER LEVEL LOW FOR BLK IMPORT.jpg

Displayed Points
UNCHECKED, TOTAL = 47.6M pts.
HIGH = 9.5M pts.
Low = 2.6 M pts.

Below is an example of a recent BLK2GO scan processed at FILTER LEVEL LOW

PEARL CITY LIBRARY SCAN at LOW.jpg

We still have to work with the system with concerns about registration and import processing time using FILTER LEVEL LOW, but it looks more interesting now because of its small size and flexibility if you ignore the "spaghetti" point clouds for now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dennis Hirota, PhD, PE, LPLS
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
YusufUsmani
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Yusuf Usmani
Company Details: Tejjy
Company Position Title: Tejjy

Post by YusufUsmani »

Here, at Tejjy, we do have BLK 360 for a more accurate scan, but yes, for greater mobility and precision in critical areas, BLK 2 Go would be a great option.

gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1

Post by gsisman »

dhirota wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:35 pm Since 2019 there has been 100 replies and 123,668 views on this thread for the BLK2GO, I thought I would add another one.

I managed to "borrow" a BLK2GO in April, 2020, and posted our trial scans on LSF on April 12, 2020

viewtopic.php?p=85267#p85267

At that time, I decided not to purchase the BLK2GO because of the "spaghetti" point clouds.

We instead purchased a mobile scanner, a NavVIS VLX almost 4 years ago. I posted some information on our initial use on the LSF on July 5, 2020:

viewtopic.php?p=87122#p87122

I posted a VLX and BLK2GO scan comparison on July 7, 2020

viewtopic.php?t=16168&start=80

After discussing our situation with many people, I decided to purchase a BLK2GO since we already have Cyclone Core and Register 360+ to process the scans. The software needs some help, but talking to some people I discovered that help might be available. One of the items is the FILTER LEVEL FOR BLK IMPORT (look at the help) for IMPORT posted below.

FILTER LEVEL FOR BLK IMPORT UNCHECKED.jpg

FILTER LEVEL HIGH FOR BLK IMPORT.jpg

FILTER LEVEL LOW FOR BLK IMPORT.jpg

Displayed Points
UNCHECKED, TOTAL = 47.6M pts.
HIGH = 9.5M pts.
Low = 2.6 M pts.

Below is an example of a recent BLK2GO scan processed at FILTER LEVEL LOW

PEARL CITY LIBRARY SCAN at LOW.jpg

We still have to work with the system with concerns about registration and import processing time using FILTER LEVEL LOW, but it looks more interesting now because of its small size and flexibility if you ignore the "spaghetti" point clouds for now.
Thanks for the details Dennis. We are still awaiting a good "take your time demo" on the BLK2GO. We saw the BLK360 G2 a couple weeks ago
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

I have not used REALITY CLOUD STUDIO before, so a asked for and received a demo version to use with our BLK2GO data from the Pearl City Library. My tutorial was from Paul Burrows for 30 minutes on everything you need to know on getting RCS to work.

Paul: you need some additional ones on the visualization parameters.

youtu.be/_nVPEYkAaP8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nVPEYkAaP8

Listed below are the detailed parameters for those that might be interested.

1. RCSTUDIO DATA.jpg
The total time took less than a total of 1 hour on two days (since it was raining the first day-10 minutes inside only, and I wanted to hear the historic details and the new renovation by Architect Dean Sakamoto on the second day so 30 minutes after the talk).

2. RCS SCREEN.jpg
3. SCAN09-INSIDE POINT CLOUD.jpg
4. SCAN09-INSIDE MESH.jpg
5. SCAN11-INSIDE-EXTRA RM POINT CLOUD.jpg
6. SCAN12-OUTSIDE POINT CLOUD.jpg
7. SCAN14-FIELD POINT CLOUD.jpg
8. 4 SCANS AUTO REGISTERED POINT CLOUD.jpg
9. 4 SCANS AUTO REGISTERED POINT CLOUD EXPORT E57 RECAP.jpg
10. ZAPPCHA-CENTER OF LIBRARY.jpg
I have not tried to remove any people or vehicles on the street or refine the visualization parameters yet (including to refine the meshing).

views=124,243
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

Here are some additional DOLL HOUSE MESH screenshots from using REALITY CLOUD STUDIO (RCS) from my scans using our BLK2GO scanner. I am not sure with all the effects that the doll house mesh is supposed to accomplish versus a standard mesh (removing some of the moving objects), but it gives the opportunity to view the inside of spaces. which is very convenient. For the roadway spaces it removes the vehicle noise.

SCAN09-DOLL HOUSE MESH.jpg
SCAN11-DOLL HOUSE MESH.jpg
SCAN12-DOLL HOUSE MESH.jpg
SCAN14-DOLL HOUSE MESH.jpg

When I have some additional time, I will try to produce a comparison between the hardware and software between our NavVIS/VLX and our Leica BLK2GO/RCS.

views=124,900
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Page
Company Details: Scott Page Design- Architectural service
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Scott »

The meshed images really made a difference over the standard ones. What are the pros and cons of the meshed deliverables (additional time needed, file size, accuracy...). 'A picture is worth a thousand words'--the image comparisons were striking.
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

Scott wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:31 pm The meshed images really made a difference over the standard ones. What are the pros and cons of the meshed deliverables (additional time needed, file size, accuracy...). 'A picture is worth a thousand words'--the image comparisons were striking.
Depends very much on what the client wants and can accept as a deliverable. Meshes are typically smaller and quicker to work with but won't work in software designed to take point clouds. They are also smoothed and lossy by comparison to the original point cloud, so potentially less accurate to work with depending on how the mesh coarseness and how it was interpolated. Meshes are great for visualization, visual inspection and coarse measurement but weaker for fine measurement and feature extraction and geometric analysis. If you're providing a mesh, I'd tend to also include the original point cloud for QA purposes.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

For those folks with a BLK2GO that are looking to banish "spaghetti" from their lives and have not, there might be an answer that I have not thoroughly tested, but looks interesting for you to try for a week for free without paying the 119euro for a month. Go to SCANNER2GO and try out their Pin Point.
Below are some examples from REALITY CLOUD STUDIO (RCS) posted on this thread several weeks ago.

viewtopic.php?p=111821#p111821

SCAN11-INSIDE-EXTRA RM POINT CLOUD.jpg
RECAP-UNCHECKED-FULL.jpg

Below are posted two screenshot views of SCAN11 which have been processed by directly importing the SCAN11.b2g raw file into Pin Point Register. The software imported the file; collected the colors; optimized the colors (running at 100% CPU @5.28GHz on our AMD7950X with 192GB RAM); and Generating Waypoints (WP) at 2.5 meters which took 7min:22sec.

The red tripod-scanner symbols represent the way points which I believe are too large for illustration, but difficult to complain if you are using something for free.

SCAN11-PIN-POINT REGISTER-01.jpg
SCAN11-PIN-POINT REGISTER-02.jpg

Notice the scans around the WPs do not have any spaghetti...But if you export the RECAP from the Pin-Point you will still have clams with your "spaghetti"

views = 126,263
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

That looks way better. I never used Pinpoint but have heard of them as i think the founder is an ex-Pointcab employee (correct me if i'm wrong).

There are in fact a lot of softwares available that get no attention but do great stuff. I for instance have a license for Luposcan which nearly no one knows of but has very neat features.

There is definately more then the own brand designed software about for sure.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]

Return to “Leica BLK2GO | BLK2GO PULSE | BLK2FLY”