Total newbie needs some help, floor flatness heat map?

aurivus|REVIT, 3D Studio MAX, 3D Coat, Lightwave, ZBrush, VRMesh, TopoGun, Blender, Rhino, Trimble Sketchup Etc.
CWickersham
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Caleb Wickersham
Company Details: EMJ Corporation
Company Position Title: Virtual Construction Engineer

Re: Total newbie needs some help, floor flatness heat map?

Post by CWickersham »

sshemro wrote:
CWickersham wrote:
I learned by experimentation, and the learning curve is steep! There are a few features to know to get heat maps done in CloudCompare, Merging Multiple Point Clouds, Cross Section, and Convert a Cloud to 2D raster (and optionally generate a contour plot). The tricky part is exporting a cross section that encompasses the entire floor.

After you get the cross section of the right thickness, (you might need multiple sections to get the accuracy level you want as well as encompassing the entire floor), select the point cloud section and hit Convert Cloud to 2D raster. Update the grid to a reasonable size, I usually go for X * ~2048 or X * ~4096 depending on the size of the floor. At the bottom you can export the new cloud that has a colored scalar field assigned by elevation. From there you can view the histogram by going to Edit -> Scalar Fields -> histogram. You can also change the colors by clicking on the point cloud and editing the SF display params.

If you want to export the SF point cloud into another program, you can Edit -> Scalar Fields -> Convert to RGB. Then export the cloud.

It's important to note that this method assumes a relatively level floor. I'd call this heat map an elevation analysis before I called it a "Flatness heatmap." So I suppose the method would depend on what the end user wanted to know. You can also register a flat plane "primitive" to your section to create a pplane of best fit if you want actual flatness and not "flatness + levelness"

Thanks Caleb! One part I'm unclear on here, when you say "exporting a cross section" do you mean exporting from CloudCompare? Or from SCENE or ReCap? If from SCENE, do you mean using a clipping box to the exact height of the floor?
Export the scans from SCENE as .FLS or .e57 and import into CloudCompare. You can subsample on export to make the cloud more manageable. From there, you can use the Cross Section tool, it functions like a clipping box, and you can create a copy of what is inside the clipping box by hitting export section. The new section can be used for your analysis.
Caleb Wickersham
Virtual Construction Engineer at EMJ Corporation
emjcorp.com
LPaulCook
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: L Paul Cook
Company Details: Land surveyor doing LiDAR
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by LPaulCook »

Use the builder app or survey app available at FARO
L. Paul Cook, PLS
www.LPC3D.com
sdoyle
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Sean Doyle
Company Details: Bond Brothers Inc
Company Position Title: Reality Capture Manager

Post by sdoyle »

We're a General Contractor who uses our Faro scanner for Slab QA/QC checks and elevation. Everything we do is done in Scene by using Rithm. Philip is excellent and the software is very reasonably priced. We've fixed a few bad deck placements off of contour maps from Rithm and the scanner. Link here: https://rithm.io/
Sean Doyle
Reality Capture Manager
Bond Brothers, Inc.
Boston, MA.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/sdoyle22
berdindc
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dan
Company Details: Berding
Company Position Title: Project Engineer

Post by berdindc »

sshemro wrote:
berdindc wrote:AutoCAD has a limit of 25 interval steps. So you need to adjust max and min elevations to get to the interval step value you want.

Point cloud is probably in meters and needs to be scaled to survey feet. Scale by 3.280833333333333333333333333333333333333333333

So that still doesn't seem to get me there :(

A reference I measure as 1'-5 45/64" in ReCap measures as 7/16" in CAD, and when scaled 3.280833r it only measures 1 3/8". I really don't understand where the disconnect is.
Check your units? Change CAD from Arch units to decimal. You may be off by a factor of 12 (inches to feet).
RithmSupport
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Nathan Anderson
Company Details: Rithm
Company Position Title: Customer Success Mangaer
Skype Name: RithmSupport

Post by RithmSupport »

sshemro wrote:Hey all,

New guy here. I recently went to training for the FARO Focus X330 scanner, and now am back and have done a couple scan jobs, and have some point clouds to work with. One of the most common things my company (a General Contractor specializing in interior build-outs) uses the scans for is a floor elevation heat map, so we can know exactly how much leveling will need to be applied, and where. This is an example that my predecessor created:

I need to figure out ASAP how exactly to make a heatmap like this. I have perused this site pretty exhaustively, and have come upon some great information, but everything is too advanced for me!

Thanks!
Hey Skyler,

I definitely recommend checking out Rithm as others have mentioned.

We are a 3rd party developer for SCENE, focusing on delivering simple, highly automated plugin applications for the construction industry. We work entirely inside of SCENE, allowing you to easily run analysis and prepare deliverables in the same software used for registration. See samples deliverables below and the video clip showing how easy it to produce a heatmap like what you’re looking for.

Workflow for Creating a Heatmap:

https://youtu.be/wDIXZeQxPd4?list=PLac5 ... vsyOfL4dXX

Rithm's YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF6fIF ... y0jV-nIXyw

Check us out at http://www.Rithm.io or shoot me an email at [email protected] and I’ll get you set up with a demo and trial license.

-Nathan
Laser Scanning Software for Construction
Skype: RithmSupport | Phone: 415-851-5285 | Email: [email protected]
MarkL
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Mark Lupton
Company Details: Wolverton
Company Position Title: LASER Scanning
Skype Name: [email protected]

Post by MarkL »

The easiest way in CAD is to make a volume surface using the design ffe as the reference, then set the visual style to elevation banding. I haven't done it in a while but I seem to remember it was easy to set up a color scale bar.
avinasha
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Avinash Amlani
Company Details: vConstruct
Company Position Title: VDC Engineer

Post by avinasha »

You could do this in cloudcompare.
robjlg
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Roberto João Lopes Garcia
Company Details: Laser scanning services
Company Position Title: Owner
Skype Name: robjlg

Post by robjlg »

With the excellent Potree program:

HF__HIPISOMETRIA__EXEMPLO_04.png

HF__HIPISOMETRIA__EXEMPLO_05.png

Point cloud height rendering gradient is native on Potree. The legend, dynamic height and range settings, for all loaded point clouds, were written by me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ericguizzetti
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Eric Guizzetti
Company Details: Construction and Engineering
Company Position Title: RealityCapture

Post by ericguizzetti »

sshemro wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:51 pm Hey all,

New guy here. I recently went to training for the FARO Focus X330 scanner, and now am back and have done a couple scan jobs, and have some point clouds to work with. One of the most common things my company (a General Contractor specializing in interior build-outs) uses the scans for is a floor elevation heat map, so we can know exactly how much leveling will need to be applied, and where. This is an example that my predecessor created: Image

I need to figure out ASAP how exactly to make a heatmap like this. I have perused this site pretty exhaustively, and have come upon some great information, but everything is too advanced for me! I have seen comments like, "we all know how to create a heat map, that's easy. But how about, 'x'", which tells me I am missing something very basic. Is there somewhere I can go to learn this very basic task? I feel like everyone is discussing their marketing approaches to their lemonade stands, and I'm over here wondering how to make lemonade!

I have access to Autodesk Building Design Suite Premium (CAD, Revit, 3ds Max, Inventor, ReCap Pro, Navis, etc.), and I'm pretty sure that the guy before used 3DS MAX for these, but I can't be sure. He left on bad terms, and no one here really knew exactly how he did what he did. So I am tasked with learning it all! It's very fun and challenging, but I am really stuck here. If anyone could help me, it would be very greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Rithm in Leica Jetstream will do all of this in a couple clicks. I’d go that route.

Return to “Modeling Software”