models and materials

aurivus|REVIT, 3D Studio MAX, 3D Coat, Lightwave, ZBrush, VRMesh, TopoGun, Blender, Rhino, Trimble Sketchup Etc.
theatreworkUK
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: stephen roe
Company Details: Theatre Work Uk
Company Position Title: Director
Linkedin Profile: No

models and materials

Post by theatreworkUK »

Hi.
Could anyone advise on some good tutorials explaining how materials and textures are applied to models please ?

For context:

I have modelled some scans as .obj files and can view these models in sketchfab. I simply applied a .png file as a base material and the model was fully coloured.

I have some other construction drawing models in .3ds that do not have any associated .png files which are proving more problematic to apply colour or materials to and this is what i'd like to learn more about.

Its likely that i'll use Rhino in the near future, and have asked for some support there too, but would be interested to hear about any experiences you have had with applying textures / materials to models and of any good learning materials out there.

Many Thanks.
Stephen.
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: models and materials

Post by jedfrechette »

There are a ton of different ways you can approach this depending on exactly what your goals are (A nice rendered image/video? An interactive environment? CAD data with some meaningful color scheme?). Personally, I really like Mari for texturing assets and they have some really great in-depth tutorials that cover various aspects of its usage.

https://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/mari/learn/
Jed
theatreworkUK
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: stephen roe
Company Details: Theatre Work Uk
Company Position Title: Director
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: models and materials

Post by theatreworkUK »

Thanks for the reply.