Faro Freestyle VS dot product dpi 7

Apple iPhone & iPad, Artec3D, ASUS Xtrion, Creaform, DotProduct DPI-8S &DPI-10, FARO Freestyle, G0-Scan, Mantis Vision, Microsoft Kinect, Noomeo, THOR3D, ZEB1, viDoc RTK Rover etc.
3DForensics
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Eugene Liscio
Company Details: AI2-3D Forensics
Company Position Title: Owner
Skype Name: eliscio

Re: Faro Freestyle VS dot product dpi 7

Post by 3DForensics »

I think there are innovations on both DotProduct and FARO's offerings. The question I have is....can we get the best of both??

Integrate FARO's sensor with the DotProduct software and file format! Now, that could be one killer hand scanner!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Formula1982
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Stephen Ferrari
Company Details: UTEC StarNet Geomatics
Company Position Title: Technical Lead

Post by Formula1982 »

3DForensics wrote:I think there are innovations on both DotProduct and FARO's offerings. The question I have is....can we get the best of both??

Integrate FARO's sensor with the DotProduct software and file format! Now, that could be one killer hand scanner!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I imagine it would be easier for Faro to produce a better compressed file format than for DP to use Faro type hardware and still keep it in the same ball-park cost as the faro.
TomGreaves
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Tom Greaves
Company Details: Chaconne LLC
Company Position Title: Lackey
Skype Name: tomgreaves2718
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by TomGreaves »

Formula1982 wrote: I imagine it would be easier for Faro to produce a better compressed file format than for DP to use Faro type hardware and still keep it in the same ball-park cost as the faro.
I doubt it. Data compression is one way to keep file sizes but only part of the solution. How you capture the data and process it in real time is key.
Tom Greaves
[email protected]
kelly.watt
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Kelly Watt
Company Details: Visual Plan Inc
Company Position Title: CEO
Skype Name: kelly.watt

Post by kelly.watt »

One important thing to consider with the Freestyle is that the cost includes a full version of SCENE which makes the hardware less than half the marketed price. SCENE is well supported and integrates well with the FOCUS data and the resolution is fantastic. For entire floor plans, i would think neither hand scanner would be the best fit. You might want to call a FARO rep about getting a refurbished FOCUS S120 or FOCUS X30 as you might find they are more economically priced than you would expect.

Data delivery is also important. With options to use Webshare2GO or WebshareCloud, the Freestyle data becomes much more valuable for collaboration and sharing.

Other things to note on the Freestyle is the live calibration process and available Scale bar (traceable to NIST) to confirm accuracy in the field.

FARO Scale Bar (tracable to NIST)
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/faro-3d- ... =prof-post

FARO FreestyleX & SCENE 5.4 improvements reviewed
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/freestyl ... eader-card

Johnathan Coco has attached a windows smart phone to the Freestyle for 1 hand operation also which is very cool.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kelly Watt
CEO & Founder
Visual Plan Inc.
[email protected]
www.visualplan.net
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Paul Burrows
Company Details: Leica Geosystems Europe
Company Position Title: Scanning Solutions Manager - Europe

Post by pburrows145 »

kelly.watt wrote:One important thing to consider with the Freestyle is that the cost includes a full version of SCENE which makes the hardware less than half the marketed price. SCENE is well supported and integrates well with the FOCUS data and the resolution is fantastic. For entire floor plans, i would think neither hand scanner would be the best fit. You might want to call a FARO rep about getting a refurbished FOCUS S120 or FOCUS X30 as you might find they are more economically priced than you would expect.

Data delivery is also important. With options to use Webshare2GO or WebshareCloud, the Freestyle data becomes much more valuable for collaboration and sharing.

Other things to note on the Freestyle is the live calibration process and available Scale bar (traceable to NIST) to confirm accuracy in the field.

FARO Scale Bar (tracable to NIST)
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/faro-3d- ... =prof-post

FARO FreestyleX & SCENE 5.4 improvements reviewed
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/freestyl ... eader-card

Johnathan Coco has attached a windows smart phone to the Freestyle for 1 hand operation also which is very cool.
So if a customer already has a copy of Scene they get the unit 50% off? That's a great deal... ;)
danielgm
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Daniel Girardeau-Montaut
Company Details: CloudCompare
Company Position Title: Administrator

Post by danielgm »

Is Scene really that expensive?! :shock:
Daniel
CloudCompare admin
http://www.cloudcompare.org/
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor

Post by jedfrechette »

pburrows145 wrote: So if a customer already has a copy of Scene they get the unit 50% off? That's a great deal... ;)
That would certainly make the Freestyle a whole lot more interesting.
Jed
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Consultant
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by jcoco3 »

I have not been keeping up with this thread, but I figured it would be a good time to elaborate on the screen Kelly posted. It was a test a very long time ago, but it should still work fine today if anyone needs to use it. Just stuff the tablet or laptop in a backpack and connect a mobile phone to the laptop using VNC. I used a 4g hotspot's built in wifi router for the network by connected both the laptop and phone to the hotspot. There was no lag in the view or the controls, but the buttons were a little small. Finding some rubber bands was the hardest part :lol:
Here is the video in our messy office if anyone is interested:

youtu.be/
You might ask why we did this? Try to open a door or climb stairs and ladders with a Freestyle in one hand and the tablet in the other. Another easier solution is to just strap the tablet on the back of the Freestyle, but it does get heavy after a while. Having to climb the two ladders that were next to this generator motivated me to find a better solution:

youtu.be/

Return to “Hand Held Scanners”