What Will Happen If Woodcarving Encounters 3D Scanner?

Apple iPhone & iPad, Artec3D, ASUS Xtrion, Creaform, DotProduct DPI-8S &DPI-10, FARO Freestyle, G0-Scan, Mantis Vision, Microsoft Kinect, Noomeo, THOR3D, ZEB1, viDoc RTK Rover etc.
Matt Young
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Matt Young
Company Details: Baker Hicks
Company Position Title: CAD-BIM Lead
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: What Will Happen If Woodcarving Encounters 3D Scanner?

Post by Matt Young »

I have been a wood carver for many years. I can and have created carvings like the ones shown. I would lose money doing it, because it takes hundreds of hours.

I see the need for this type of thing, but the loss of ancient crafts always makes me a little sad :cry:

A carving created on a CNC has nothing over a handcrafted masterpiece, but we live in a world where we want more for less.
If you don't see that there is nothing, then you are kidding yourself.
ScottErnst
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Scott Ernst
Company Details: Southwest Scanning
Company Position Title: owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by ScottErnst »

As a long time preservation woodworker who has expanded his business into 3D scanning, I recently had a project where I was asked to reproduce a door that had multiple appliqué carvings on it. The client wanted 2 copies of the door. There were a few different carving designs and each of them were repeated several times. I could've carved them all by hand but I thought that it would be a good test of mixing scanning, CNC and woodworking. I used my Artec spider to scan the best example of each design and sent the files to the CNC shop. They could've made me copies that were accurate enough right off of the machine, but that would've been really time consuming on the router and wouldn't have saved any money over hand making them. In the end I decided to have the carvings roughed out on the CNC and I finished carving them by hand. The CNC work to rough out 20 carvings was only about an hour. It sped up the hand carving by a lot.
JeffT
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter
Full Name: Jeff T
Company Details: Geospatial
Company Position Title: Engineering Technician
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by JeffT »

I hadn't thought of that rough out idea. I do a fair amount of historical plaster and wood things. I'll keep that rough out thing in mind when I talk to clients in the future.

Return to “Hand Held Scanners”