Scanning Exeter's Underground Passages

Apple iPhone & iPad, Artec3D, ASUS Xtrion, Creaform, DotProduct DPI-8S &DPI-10, FARO Freestyle, G0-Scan, Mantis Vision, Microsoft Kinect, Noomeo, THOR3D, ZEB1, viDoc RTK Rover etc.
Jamesrye
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Rye
Company Details: Merrett Survey Partnership
Company Position Title: Spatial Analyst

Scanning Exeter's Underground Passages

Post by Jamesrye »

I thought that I'd share a video animation that we made showing the medieval underground passages in Exeter. The passages were scanned with a Zeb Revo. The data was then meshed and loaded into Rhino3D where we created the flythrough.

youtu.be/Yg13fLP84T8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg13fLP84T8
VXGrid
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Martin Graner
Company Details: PointCab GmbH
Company Position Title: Research and Development
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Scanning Exeter's Underground Passages

Post by VXGrid »

Did you capture this with one go or did you make more loops?
How well is the trajectory? Did you compare the discrepancy of start and end point with outside measurements?

Looks like scanning with a Revo was a real time saver :D
Jamesrye
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Rye
Company Details: Merrett Survey Partnership
Company Position Title: Spatial Analyst

Re: Scanning Exeter's Underground Passages

Post by Jamesrye »

For sure it's a time saver! This was a demo - we were looking into the feasibility of using it for a mine project. We experimented with "there and back" loops as well as just going in one direction. There were limited places where we could do loops.

The passages are very narrow - in some areas you had to crawl and the passage was less than 0.5m wide. We did see some 'slippage' when fitting to control spheres that were shot in with a total station. Accuracy varied quite a bit, some runs fit well (better than 0.1m) and others were quite a bit off (metres off in some cases) - and some of the runs wouldn't process at all in GeoSLAM. The environment wasn't ideal for the scanner, though it was good enough for this presentation.

We subsequently used the Zeb-Revo on a building survey and we got data accurate enough for 1:100 drawings to be produced.

Return to “Hand Held Scanners”