Best laptop for Artec Spider and Eva

THOR3D, Artec3D, ASUS Xtrion, Creaform G0-Scan, DotProduct, FARO Freestyle Noomeo, Mantis Vision, ZEB1, Kinect, DAVID, Effortless3D E3D Mk1, etc
kiwipawl
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Paul Hillier
Company Details: Victoria University Wellington NZ
Company Position Title: Photographer 3D scanner operater
Skype Name: VS-220
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by kiwipawl » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:11 am

Hi All,

We have a Artec Spider and a Eva and experencing issues with our current laptop and are looking at upgrading it. I have read all the recommendations from Artec but being in New Zealand we don't have all the options they suggest and to complicate thing more our IT people tell us that we should use Dells. Dell in the past, haven't had anything suitable now have the Alienware range of gaming laptops. Everybody here seems to have different opions as to what is the most critical component to give the best results, i.e RAM,videocard, processor or USB type and someone has even told us that we don't have the correct drivers.

Can someone out there give me some suggestions re the best real world option. We have about NZ$3,500 to send so the cost shouldn't be a real issue. Thanks Paul.

3DForensics
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Eugene Liscio
Company Details: AI2-3D Forensics
Company Position Title: Owner
Skype Name: eliscio

Re: Best laptop for Artec Spider and Eva

Post by 3DForensics » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:15 pm

I guess I can only give you my own experience. If you are going to be working with big scans, then the texturing mesh simplification is where you can use a lot of RAM and a good CPU. I can easily go through 20gb of ram without even thinking about it so if you can get up to 64gb, that's a good place to be.

I have a preference for nVidia graphics cards, but I personally think this is not the most important part. If you have a 3gb card, then you are ok in my opinion.

CPU is a no brainer...more horsepower, fast processing. You should also have a good SSD. loading time will cost you when dealing with larger scans. If it's just a few small scans, then no big deal, but I have had projects with a dozen or so large scans from the Spider and loading and unloading scans takes time from a conventional drive.

I try not to get too hung up about brands, but I am very happy with my Asus which cost about $3k USD less than 2 years ago. You should be in good shape.

Eugene

dtmcnamara
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: David McNamara
Company Details: Freelance
Company Position Title: Research
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by dtmcnamara » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:02 pm

Best laptop I could suggest would be a Dell M4700. There are 4 slots for RAM and it can be upgraded to 32GB, comes with either a firepro or Quadro card, and also has an options for the true quad-core w/ hyperthreading CPU. Best thing of all you can get an external battery for it to make it last even longer when on site.

Cons: HEAVY! oh and its being phased out right now with nothing comparable to replace it unfortunately.

I have the M3800 now, the ultrabook version, its good, but it maxes out at 16GB of RAM which is too bad.

dschroder
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Dan Schroder
Company Details: Co-Line
Company Position Title: Quality Assurance
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by dschroder » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:37 pm

We are using a Sager NP8258s, 2.7ghz i7, 24GB RAM, GTX880M 8GB graphics card, and 120GB SSD. Artec themselves use Sager laptops so that should add to their credibility. I'm not sure if you are able to get Sagers there or not but its probably the best bang for your buck that you will get. You sacrifice some with tech support but I've found that they're not bad.

Any similarly spec'd laptop should perform the same but being able to manage the heat produced when you run the processor at 100% for 20min might be a limiting factor.

dtmcnamara
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: David McNamara
Company Details: Freelance
Company Position Title: Research

Post by dtmcnamara » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:43 pm

I have used Sager as well in the past but since moved to Dell just becuase of the warranty. The nice thing about Dell is IF something does mess up out in the field they can fix it with a tech driving to you with the parts to repair it. I had a mainboard go out on me in the middle of Nebraska and had a tech with a new board out to my hotel within 24hrs to repair everyting.

The sagers will be faster, due to teh GPU, but the Dell was not bad at all.

Robertken
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Robert Kendrick
Company Details: best gaming laptop
Company Position Title: choiceinspire

Post by Robertken » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:54 am

Hi,
I am using ASUS ROG G752VT-DH72 gaming laptop, it’s very fine and still good work, and my opinion, this is the best option for you.
https://www.amazon.com/G752VT-DH72-Gami ... B01578ZN0Q
ASUS ROG G752VT-DH72 17 Inch Gaming Laptop.
Powerful 6th-generation Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.6 GHz (up to 3.50GHz).
16 GB DDR4 RAM. 128 GB PCIeG3 x4 NVMe SSD + 1 TB 7200 RPM HDD.
17.3-inches Matte IPS FHD display, 1920 by 1080 resolution. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M w/ 3GB VRAM gaming graphic card with G-Sync
Features the latest performance ports: 1x Thunderbolt III (via USB Type-C),
1x Gen 2 USB 3.1 Type-C, 4x USB 3.0, 1x HDMI. 1x 10/100/1000 LAN. 802.11AC, bluetooth 4.0,
You can find multiple option from below link.
`https://choiceinspire.com/best-gaming-laptop-under-1000

Artec Group
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Olga Skvortsova
Company Details: Artec Group
Company Position Title: Head of Technical Support Department

Post by Artec Group » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:26 am

We are using lightweight, but powerful Dell XPS 15 laptops for outdoor scanning with RAM amount increased up to 32 Gb:
https://artecgroup.zendesk.com/hc/en-us ... -15-laptop

The most convenient thing in this laptop (in my opinion) is touch screen: once you get used to rotation of 3D data on the screen and switching parameters in a software with a single touch, you immediately start missing this feature on all other laptops :)
--
Best regards!

Olga Skvortsova
Head of Technical Support Department
support@artec-group.com
www.artec3d.com

racerx43
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Joe Skala
Company Details: Photojoejoe and JS43
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by racerx43 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:55 am

I use the EVGA 17 inch - it’s a beast with not great battery life but has ultra fast high end GPU which is where the Artec shine - lots of ram and on the fly over clocking
Last edited by racerx43 on Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Hand Held Scanners”