Floor Flatness and Levelness Analysis from Point Cloud

Faro FOCUS S350, S150, S70, M70, X30, X130, X130HDR, X330, X330HDR. Leica RTC360, C10, P15, P20, P30, P40, P50, BLK360, HDS6*00, HDS7000,HDS8800, HDS8400. Riegl VZ6000, VZ4000, VZ2000, VZ1000 & VZ400i. Topcon GTL-1000, GLS2200, GLS1500. Trimble X7, X9, X12, SX12, SX10, TX8, TX6, S7 & S9. Z+F IMAGER 5016, 5010X, 5010C, 5006H, 5006EX & PROFILER 9012
hraharja
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: H Raharja
Company Details: Engineering Services
Company Position Title: Mechanical Engineer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Floor Flatness and Levelness Analysis from Point Cloud

Post by hraharja »

Hi everyone,

I am looking for ways to do floor flatness and levelness analysis based on point cloud. What I meant is to do full F-number analysis with slope numbers in every xxx of area, not just simply having the elevation map like you can do in Recap. This will be used to do analysis of huge manufacturing plant floor.

My company is currently looking for software options that are suitable for this application as well as the feedback/comments from someone who has experience in this kind of work. We used Faro Focus3D for the scanner; Scene and Recap for registering the point clouds.

Thank you in advance.
jmiranda
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Jonathan Miranda
Company Details: IDOT
Company Position Title: Engineering Technician Senior

Re: Floor Flatness and Levelness Analysis from Point Cloud

Post by jmiranda »

I know TopoDOT does Floor Flatness analisys with one of their tools. It creates spreadsheets with graphs of the data as well as the elevation maps. That specific software runs inside Bentley's Microstation. Take a look at their website @ http://www.certainty3d.com/ Im sure they will give you a live demo of their product.
tbwester
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Thad Wester
Company Details: Clarity Scanning
Company Position Title: President

Post by tbwester »

This seems reasonably priced, and does Floor flatness. - https://rithm.io/

Anyone used it before?
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Consultant
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by jcoco3 »

Yes, we have used the FF/FL app that Philip created and it works very well, conforming perfectly with the specification. Just make sure your scanner is calibrated and your registration is excellent, which is a prerequisite for any floor analysis. We also like to use our super tripod to get the scanner up at least 16 feet. It helps eliminate some anomalies and angle of incidence problems. I wouldn't normally suggest this, but for floors go ahead and over scan the slab at probably twice the density and half the scan spacing as you think you need. 1/4 res at 25' spacing would be great, but we have gotten away with 50' spacing in some areas. Get the floor swept clean and all construction materials off the slab if possible. Water can also be a big problem to watch out for.

My best suggestion would be to purchase the ASTM FF/FL specification and read it thoroughly before performing the work. You might be amazed at what you find. My biggest grievance with the ASTM spec is that the analysis and reporting doesn't really help the contractor perform the repair, it is more or less a metric to determine pass or fail :? We have developed a few reports and maps to help the contractor make the repairs, but they are very time consuming and tedious.

If you have questions, just ask Philip he is extremely knowledgeable with regard to this spec.

By the way Philip is great...extremely helpful, quick to respond and above all a sincere person :D
sreed
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Reed
Company Details: Prologue Systems
Company Position Title: Principal
Skype Name: sabotva

Post by sreed »

Entirely agree with Jcoco's comments about Philip and rithm.io Phillip helped me implement his app with several emails, phone calls and even a screen-share session. He knows his stuff and while the FL/FF required manual manipulation of my data (exterior vegetated space), the projects I tried his software on for which it was intended worked perfectly and easily.
hraharja
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: H Raharja
Company Details: Engineering Services
Company Position Title: Mechanical Engineer

Post by hraharja »

Yes, I have tried to use Rithm Inspector and I think it could be a great addition for our company since we have been using Scene. I actually did have rings/circles issue as well with my scans especially at the bottom of the scanner. I used distance filter for the near objects on my scans and it works fine. My suggestion is to use different point cloud for different purposes. If you need to do floor analysis, just clip the point cloud to the point when the rings are not clearly visible.

Now back to the floor flatness and levelness issue. I did read the ASTM standards and also felt that it is not exactly the type of end product that you would like to give to contractors. Since the F-numbers created won't really help the customers to fix the floor. One possible conclusion is the floor elevation maps. But other than that, I am wondering what kind of stuff are the typical of end product of a floor flatness and levelness analysis?
Sireath
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Jan
Company Details: HY Loi Consultants
Company Position Title: Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Sireath »

Can I check what is a good distance filter to use for the ring issue. Does it only happen for faro scanner? What do you mean by clipping the point cloud?
Mackkowalski
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Mack kowalski
Company Details: Conco construction
Company Position Title: Layout manager

Post by Mackkowalski »

We use cloudworx for our ff/fl numbers. It’s a good report for ASTM reporting. We also use heat maps and points on a grid in cyclone to help us visualize where any fixes need to happen
Scott.Warren
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Warren
Company Details: WSP Canada
Company Position Title: Project Manager - Geomatics Engineer

Post by Scott.Warren »

I have something that has been bugging me about the FF/FL ASTM reporting. I picked up a copy of the Standards doc from ASTM, and read through it. It talks about a random sample (location of template lines) being used to test the floor, with surveyed points along the template lines.

Where I stumble is when we do this in Cyclone/Cloudworx and go to place our template lines. In my mind, the test is supposed to be a random sampling, however with cloud data, we can see the high's and low's of the floor before we place the template lines (view data colored by elevation, using a small delta). In essence we could draw the template to pass or fail depending on where we draw the template relative to what we can see. if there is a localized outlier in the floor (high/low spot), we could see that ahead of time and make a decision to choose if the template lines cross over this feature.

We have been asked by clients to deliver lots of C3D surfaces for floors of different grid spacing, and few ASTM FF/FL reports.
Mackkowalski
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Mack kowalski
Company Details: Conco construction
Company Position Title: Layout manager

Post by Mackkowalski »

Yes you could technically cheat that way and there are ways to cheat the dipstick and F meter as well. Doing so though helps no one. As a concrete contractor we run FF reports to monitor and improve our product. Not giving a true random sampling doesn’t provide us anything useful and will eventually be found especially if rain is on the horizon. Although we have certain requirements customer satisfaction is the main goal

Return to “Terrestrial Laser Scanners [TLS]”