Faro X130 Tear / Overlaping Data

Faro FOCUS S350, S150, S70, M70, X30, X130, X130HDR, X330, X330HDR. Leica RTC360, C10, P15, P20, P30, P40, P50, BLK360, HDS6*00, HDS7000,HDS8800, HDS8400. Riegl VZ6000, VZ4000, VZ2000, VZ1000 & VZ400i. Topcon GTL-1000, GLS2200, GLS1500. Trimble X7, X9, X12, SX12, SX10, TX8, TX6, S7 & S9. Z+F IMAGER 5016, 5010X, 5010C, 5006H, 5006EX & PROFILER 9012
david.forsyth
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: David Forsyth
Company Details: Cadds Engineering
Company Position Title: Survey Tech
Linkedin Profile: No

Faro X130 Tear / Overlaping Data

Post by david.forsyth »

Hi Guy's & Girls

This is my first time posting so I hope I have got the correct section.

We are having a lot of issues with both of our Faro X130 scanners. we seem to be getting a tear or rip in the data at the start and finish point of the scans. I have got some examples below.

We have sent the scanner back to Farro through our local rep here in Perth Western Australia but the turn around time is ridiculous, up to 3 months to get the scanner back. On of the scanners was previously repaired and 7 months later it is showing the same error

I have had a search on google and I know that there is a firmware update that can help with this but my understanding of the error is gaps in the data (ie not starting and stopping in the same position) not overlaps like we are getting.

If any one could shed some light on possiable fixes that would be great.
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Faro X130 Tear / Overlaping Data

Post by jedfrechette »

Although other issues could potentially cause similar symptoms, this looks like the standard vertical collimation problem that Faro attempted to address with the automatic Angular Compensation function they introduced in Scene 6.0. If you search on this forum there have been quite a few threads talking about it over the years.

The simplest solution is to let Scene "fix" it for you by automatically calculating new calibration values. Unfortunately, in my experience, Scene's current implementation produces very mixed results. The alternative, which I know a few of us have done independently, is to setup a method for estimating and applying calibration values yourself.
Jed
tbwester
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Thad Wester
Company Details: Clarity Scanning
Company Position Title: President

Post by tbwester »

how much is it?

Its normal for it to be 1/8th inch offset or so about 40-50 feet from the scanner. IMO this makes little difference in the accuracy of a survey, but it depends on your use-case.

If its more, then I think you can fix it in software as jed mentioned.
david.forsyth
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by david.forsyth »

Thanks, Jed & Thad

We are using realworks to do our registration, not sure if this can auto fix the error.

We are looking at errors of 3-15mm in a range of fewer than 5-10 meters.
Tanguy Nédélec
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: NEDELEC Tanguy
Company Details: Prigent et Associes
Company Position Title: Surveyor - nooks and crannies explorer

Post by Tanguy Nédélec »

I'm struggling with the exact same issue right now with a Focus X130. 1 to 3 cm gaps between start and end.
I've noticed it only happens when I'm scanning in 1x quality. In 2x quality or above, there is still a small gap but negligible (less than 5mm). What quality did you use ?

@jed I don't think this is a vertical collimation issue since the data is perfectly aligned in Z, at least in my case. It's a planimetric error, and sadly the angular compensation doesn't correct that.
tbwester
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Thad Wester
Company Details: Clarity Scanning
Company Position Title: President

Post by tbwester »

david.forsyth wrote:Thanks, Jed & Thad

We are using realworks to do our registration, not sure if this can auto fix the error.

We are looking at errors of 3-15mm in a range of fewer than 5-10 meters.
David,
How big is the project?

I've had the error on many projects - some there is no noticeable difference in accuracy. Others it is significant. 15mm is probably creeping up in the significant range of error, so you many want to spend the time to fix it ( if your not using scene, maybe reach out to faro support for help).
david.forsyth
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by david.forsyth »

Hi guys thanks for all the advice,

As for the quality of the scan, I would guess 1x quality (our site rep does all the scanning)

We have a large ongoing project, scanning Chute systems for wear analysis on an iron ore mine site, we scan four days a week site time is around the 12-14 hours on site per day, scanning a total of 8-15 chute systems in the four days with an average of 6-12 scans per chute system.

The accuracy that we required for the analysis side is +/- 2mm. We have had no issue for some time, this is the 3rd time this year, and we are losing money with repair costs and hire scanners. We no currently have two X130 in for repair. The first one we sent away close to 3 months ago. We have an older TX5, but we can't trust that scanner either.

It is good to know that others are having the same issues. We don't seem to get much help from our local supplier.
christopherbyrne18
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Christopher Byrne
Company Details: Murphy Geospatial
Company Position Title: Head Of Dept Special Projects

Post by christopherbyrne18 »

You buy cheap you buy twice....

If your doing any kind of high accuracy engineering / piping type work get a Z&F.

Or, at the very least clip all data from one of these at 10m from each scan position because the data is rubbish past that.

Chris
Oliver Buerkler
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Oliver Buerkler
Company Details: FARO Europe GmbH
Company Position Title: Director of Laser Scanning
Skype Name: oliver_buerkler

Post by Oliver Buerkler »

Hello all.

If you experience effects in your data which you think are out of the specifications of your scanner, I would strongly recommend to get in touch with your local FARO customer support team.
The folks there are capable to evaluate the issue and provide efficient help.

As already written in this thread:
SCENE is applying an additional angular compensation on newly imported scans to improve the effect of unavoidable mechanical and optical tolerances. This is meant to improve the data quality.
If scanners show deviations outside of specification, they would need to be analysed and possible be serviced.

If you are using 3rd party software to process FARO scans, make sure you software is usint the latest version the FARO SDK to achieve best performance and data quality.

Best regards,
Oliver Buerkler
Oliver Bürkler
Director of Laser Scanning
FARO Europe GmbH
[email protected]
[email protected]

Twitter: FARO_LS_PM

Return to “Terrestrial Laser Scanners [TLS]”