I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Clint Stanley
Company Details: RemSense
Company Position Title: Scan Tech
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Using Ricoh THETA Z1 in matterport

Post by clintstanley »

Looking for anyone that has used the Ricoh THETA Z1 360 Camera within a Matterport space instead of the Matterport camera. We have been asked to quote on a city shopping mall using Matterport so we went and did a trial run so that the client could see what the movement of people would look like within the space.
We are going to have to time our scans in some spots to try to minimise the 'blur' effect but we have since tried at the Inst360 in Matterport at our office to create a space and that was ok but after reading some reviews the Theta Z1 is supposed to be better..
If anyone has any experience with this 360 camera I would greatly appreciate any help or advise.
thanks
sim.herrod
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Simeon Herrod
Company Details: Terra Measurement Limited
Company Position Title: 3D Data Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Using Ricoh THETA Z1 in matterport

Post by sim.herrod »

From what we've seen and looked into, 'better' within the group of cameras like the Ricoh Theta and Insta360 range is a pretty small difference, and quite subjective.

You need to be moving to a 'proper' camera for noticeably better image results, but that brings the additional workflow involved in stitching your images.

We have an Insta360 One R at the minute and use 3DVista for our virtual tours. In the past we have also used an NCTech iStar.

We weren't overly impressed with Matterport when we looked at it.
clintstanley
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Clint Stanley
Company Details: RemSense
Company Position Title: Scan Tech

Post by clintstanley »

What spaces have you been trying to create? Residential or large commercial spaces? We have completed large offshore platforms with matterport camera with great results.
With the shopping mall we have been asked to scan I thought by using the Ricoh Theta the 'blur' around the pedestrians moving whilst we scan could almost be eliminated, because the trial we did with the Matterport Pro2 had a lot of blurring.
sim.herrod
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Simeon Herrod
Company Details: Terra Measurement Limited
Company Position Title: 3D Data Manager

Post by sim.herrod »

We've done commercial spaces, but not shopping mall sized ones.

To be honest, I didn't read your post properly, so didn't pick up on the issue being movement blur.

That's not something we've dealt with as we always try and work at times of minimal/no people.

It would be added time, but is this something you could edit out in software like Photoshop?

I might have a mess around with this later as it's bound to crop up for us at some point.
WingmanMedia
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Mike Lysov
Company Details: Wingman Media
Company Position Title: Owner
Skype Name: mlysov

Post by WingmanMedia »

I do Matterport tours with a Matterport Pro2 camera(134MP) and I have had and tried it with a Ricoh Theta Z1.

If you can rent a Pro2 camera do it with it. A Z1 is just a cheap way to get into Matterport with their 23MP resolution. It is no brainer than a Pro2 with 134MP resolution will be better. Not to mention that a Pro2 will collect 3D data while a Z1 will use Matterport 3D conversion engine to try processing a Z1 360 image into 3D data.

I tried a Z1 with Matterport and there was 0 benefits of using it when you own a Pro2.
RJGEOMATICS
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Bart Man
Company Details: Laser Scanning
Company Position Title: Passionate about making amazing PCs

Post by RJGEOMATICS »

In any event. You need remember that full SDK and many features are only available when using the Pro2 and BLK360.

Using other devices, will not produce a complete Matterport experience, and will not give you the added functions associated to the SKD kit.
360digitaltwin_nl
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Manolis Geldermans
Company Details: 360digitaltwin_nl
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by 360digitaltwin_nl »

Ricoh THETA Z1 has a recent update for better HDR pictures. The quality of HDR pictures improved and since Matterport uses the HDR pictures that's an improvement. But there is still a difference in quality compared to the Matterport Pro2. The Matterport Pro2 has less noise and better exposure. But going outside the Ricoh THETA Z1 is to good choice. Most times I mix both cameras during capturing for my Matterport projects.

Return to “VR Virtual Reality”