New 3D scanner by Effortless 3D

Post any articles or web links that directly relate to laser scanning that you feel other users would deem interesting.
jasonyoung3d
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Jason Young
Company Details: computer vision
Company Position Title: engineer
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: New 3D scanner by Effortless 3D

Post by jasonyoung3d »

Thanks for the informative response. From using the original faros they seem in same class as the lower cost scanners, I've never been completely happy unless scan was in ideal situations. The largest draw to my engineers is size and speed knowing through photogrammetry or drone footage we can handle issues at least to level of accuracy in recon work. Cost isn't the biggest issue, our combined maintenance plans alone cost more than the LCS each year. So I'll investigate as they release and maybee they will eventually gain accuracy needed.
Ioannis
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Ioannis Papas
Company Details: techical office
Company Position Title: CEO
Skype Name: -
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by Ioannis »

Did anyone knows where it Effortless 3D will be delivered or having sample data from it?
e3dRich
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Richard McCormack
Company Details: Effortless 3D
Company Position Title: Founder

Post by e3dRich »

3DForensics wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:09 pm I hate to steal or take away from this thread so let's see if someone from Effortless3D can get on board and post some images, data or give us some more background on this product.
Hi all, I thought I would introduce myself and give you a bit more background on our product – I’m Richard, the founder of Effortless 3D.

There’s quite a bit of discussion here on accuracy and where a scanner like ours can add value in a market dominated by devices offering (sub)millimetre accuracy. Our focus is a bit different – we are about efficiently capturing a space in 3D and high-quality visuals, enabling people to then explore, measure, and understand that space without having to physically visit it.

I’m sure everyone here, like me, believes that 3D reality capture is an incredibly powerful technology that can add value to a wide range of different markets. A lot of those applications require ‘survey grade’ 3D data and are well served by the existing systems on the market, but there are also a wide range of applications where the cost and complexity of the higher-end systems are barriers to adoption.

Our focus is on making reliable 3D reality capture accessible by developing a technology that is both affordable and incredibly easy to use. We think those two factors are going to enable use cases that were not previously possible.

One example would be in the construction sector, where a regular 3D site survey could add tremendous value in facilitating off-site progress monitoring, early issue identification, and generally reducing the need to visit a site in order to understand the space. Doing that with existing systems would be time consuming and incredibly expensive. Instead, Effortless 3D enables the entire site to be easily and reliably documented in 3D within a couple of hours and it then becomes feasible for an apprentice to document a site on a weekly basis.

This of course doesn’t replace the need for ‘survey grade’ laser scanning - we see ourselves as a complementary capability. An additional tool to sit alongside existing survey technology that can add value when there is a need for efficient data capture and an emphasis on high-quality visuals with 3D data good-enough for the application.

Jason Warren wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:44 am Hoping to see some sample data soon... ;)
We’ll be releasing some sample data within the next few weeks that you can have a play around with – it will be interesting to hear your thoughts.

We’re actually conducting closed trials in the UK over the next few months, if you’re based in the London region and would like to get involved then please do get in touch. Do also feel free to drop me a message if you’d just like to have a more general chat.

Apologies for such a long post!

Cheers,
Richard
james.still
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Still
Company Details: BIM Technical Manager
Company Position Title: BIM Technical Manager

Post by james.still »

thanks for the post! Looks interesting and looking forward to some sample data.
LeicaUK_RC
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Phil Marsh
Company Details: Leica Geosystems part of Hexagon
Company Position Title: Reality Capture Director UK
Skype Name: Phil.H.Marsh

Post by LeicaUK_RC »

james.still wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:46 pm thanks for the post! Looks interesting and looking forward to some sample data.
Hi James,

No problem with the post, we do try to be the first to bring you all the latest laser scanning news from around the world.

How your new role with the guys at Point2Surveyors working out? Are you now based in their central London office?
Leica Geosystems
M: 07540 201383
E: [email protected]
W: www.leica-geosystems.com
3DForensics
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Eugene Liscio
Company Details: AI2-3D Forensics
Company Position Title: Owner
Skype Name: eliscio

Post by 3DForensics »

Thanks Richard.

I would also be very interested in the workflow, software and type of output that you are providing.

Cheers,

Eugene
Jason Warren
Administrator
Administrator
Full Name: Jason Warren
Company Details: Laser Scanning Forum Ltd
Company Position Title: Co-Founder
Skype Name: jason_warren

Post by Jason Warren »

e3dRich wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:38 am
3DForensics wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:09 pm I hate to steal or take away from this thread so let's see if someone from Effortless3D can get on board and post some images, data or give us some more background on this product.
Hi all, I thought I would introduce myself and give you a bit more background on our product – I’m Richard, the founder of Effortless 3D.

There’s quite a bit of discussion here on accuracy and where a scanner like ours can add value in a market dominated by devices offering (sub)millimetre accuracy. Our focus is a bit different – we are about efficiently capturing a space in 3D and high-quality visuals, enabling people to then explore, measure, and understand that space without having to physically visit it.

I’m sure everyone here, like me, believes that 3D reality capture is an incredibly powerful technology that can add value to a wide range of different markets. A lot of those applications require ‘survey grade’ 3D data and are well served by the existing systems on the market, but there are also a wide range of applications where the cost and complexity of the higher-end systems are barriers to adoption.

Our focus is on making reliable 3D reality capture accessible by developing a technology that is both affordable and incredibly easy to use. We think those two factors are going to enable use cases that were not previously possible.

One example would be in the construction sector, where a regular 3D site survey could add tremendous value in facilitating off-site progress monitoring, early issue identification, and generally reducing the need to visit a site in order to understand the space. Doing that with existing systems would be time consuming and incredibly expensive. Instead, Effortless 3D enables the entire site to be easily and reliably documented in 3D within a couple of hours and it then becomes feasible for an apprentice to document a site on a weekly basis.

This of course doesn’t replace the need for ‘survey grade’ laser scanning - we see ourselves as a complementary capability. An additional tool to sit alongside existing survey technology that can add value when there is a need for efficient data capture and an emphasis on high-quality visuals with 3D data good-enough for the application.

Jason Warren wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:44 am Hoping to see some sample data soon... ;)
We’ll be releasing some sample data within the next few weeks that you can have a play around with – it will be interesting to hear your thoughts.

We’re actually conducting closed trials in the UK over the next few months, if you’re based in the London region and would like to get involved then please do get in touch. Do also feel free to drop me a message if you’d just like to have a more general chat.

Apologies for such a long post!

Cheers,
Richard

Thank you for your post Richard, and look forward to hearing more.
Jason Warren
Co_Founder

Dedicated to 3D Laser Scanning
LaserScanningForum
e3dRich
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by e3dRich »

3DForensics wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:34 pm Thanks Richard.

I would also be very interested in the workflow, software and type of output that you are providing.
Hi Eugene,

No problem at all.

Usability is vital for us so we’re trying to keep the workflow as simple as possible – particularly for the non-technical users. The user initiates scans and manages their entire project from the mobile app. There is data streaming, a live 3D map, and a simple registration tool. Cloud colouring happens on-board and there are automatic data filters to reduce noise and remove any tilt offset.

Scan data can be exported as either a fully registered cloud, or as individual scans along with high-res panoramas. Experienced users can then take that data into other software packages if they want to – we believe that a user should be free to do what they like with any data they capture.
Jason Warren
Administrator
Administrator
Full Name: Jason Warren
Company Details: Laser Scanning Forum Ltd
Company Position Title: Co-Founder
Skype Name: jason_warren

Post by Jason Warren »

Hi Richard, will you and the scanner be at InterGEO?
Jason Warren
Co_Founder

Dedicated to 3D Laser Scanning
LaserScanningForum
e3dRich
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by e3dRich »

Jason Warren wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:28 am Hi Richard, will you and the scanner be at InterGEO?
Hi Jason, yes the prototype and I will be at InterGEO, although due to other commitments I'm only able to make it on the 27th unfortunately.

Return to “Articles, Webinars & Links”