P20 scan distance

Faro FOCUS S350, S150, S70, M70, X30, X130, X130HDR, X330, X330HDR. Leica RTC360, C10, P15, P20, P30, P40, P50, BLK360, HDS6*00, HDS7000,HDS8800, HDS8400. Riegl VZ6000, VZ4000, VZ2000, VZ1000 & VZ400i. Topcon GTL-1000, GLS2200, GLS1500. Trimble X7, X9, X12, SX12, SX10, TX8, TX6, S7 & S9. Z+F IMAGER 5016, 5010X, 5010C, 5006H, 5006EX & PROFILER 9012
Scan-Ninja
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Fabien
Company Details: Amec Foster Wheeler
Company Position Title: Geomatics Project Manager
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: P20 scan distance

Post by Scan-Ninja »

pburrows145 wrote:
tbwester wrote:The p20 is a phase shift machine, your SS2 (and the C10) are pulse based.

I know they say p20 is TOF, and maybe it is at some level - but the data characteristics are those of a phase shift machine.

There also seems to be some filtering of the p20 data onboard - this seems to remove low intensity returns that you would get at distance on pavement.
The P20 is pulse, not phase-based. Regardless of the look and feel (I agree it's sometimes more closely aligned with phase-data), it's 100% a pulse unit.

The range to pavement/road surfaces is much improved on the new P16/30/40. Plus the P40 has variable point spacing in H and V to allow better coverage over distance. All the new units are pulse-units running at up to 1m pps.

Hope this helps.
Even with a raised tripod, was having a hard time getting more than 130ft on the pavement from the scanner. Would love to get my hands on a P40, but hard to justify the upgrade with less than a year with a New P20, especially if there is not much value in the trade in. Just wish that We could have waited less than a year. :roll: :roll:
tomii7
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Tomasz Gerlich
Company Details: OutPut Precision Ltd
Company Position Title: Director
Skype Name: tomek.gerlich

Post by tomii7 »

pburrows145 wrote:
The P20 is pulse, not phase-based. Regardless of the look and feel (I agree it's sometimes more closely aligned with phase-data), it's 100% a pulse unit.
It's very good news :D, because some people still think is a phase scanner but it's pulse type.
-----
Best Regards,
Tomasz Gerlich

tomaszgerlich[at]outputprecision.com or tomaszgerlich[at]gmail.com
+44 7756613300

www.outputprecision.com - Reality Capture
www.realitycapture3d.com - Matterport

OutPut Precision Ltd, Manchester, UK
gusrios
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Gustavo Rios
Company Details: Rick Engineering
Company Position Title: Project Manager 3D Laser Scanning

Post by gusrios »

Scan Ninja; Were you able to get your P-20 to capture roadway passed 130ft.?

In my experience roadway capture with static scanners has always been a challenge. Paul B. hit it right on the head about the angle of incidence to the scanner. Its like trying to capture the façade of a tall building but you have set up the scanner 5-7 feet away instead of the usual 50-100 feet from across the street...

Other factors;
1. The dark surface of asphalt (Dark surface have always been a challenge)
2. The slope of the roadway (Depending if the road is sloping up or down away from your setup)
a. With the C-10 we usually get 175ft. - 250ft max on the road surface

With that said; we did use the P20 on a few projects and If I recall the range was pretty good, I'm surprised that you would only get 130 Ft.

Wondering if it was the import filter or scan setting giving you these results.

Gus
Scan-Ninja
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Scan-Ninja »

gusrios wrote:Scan Ninja; Were you able to get your P-20 to capture roadway passed 130ft.?

In my experience roadway capture with static scanners has always been a challenge. Paul B. hit it right on the head about the angle of incidence to the scanner. Its like trying to capture the façade of a tall building but you have set up the scanner 5-7 feet away instead of the usual 50-100 feet from across the street...

Other factors;
1. The dark surface of asphalt (Dark surface have always been a challenge)
2. The slope of the roadway (Depending if the road is sloping up or down away from your setup)
a. With the C-10 we usually get 175ft. - 250ft max on the road surface

With that said; we did use the P20 on a few projects and If I recall the range was pretty good, I'm surprised that you would only get 130 Ft.

Wondering if it was the import filter or scan setting giving you these results.

Gus
Still have a hard time getting the distance with the P20. I use an elevated tripo to try to get more distance with it. I usually go with a medium resolution on quality 2. Image
Wish that i could get more distance out of it. [emoji20] [emoji20]

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
SAttaya
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: SAttaya
Company Details: Sev1Tech
Company Position Title: Sr Software Analyst-RemoteSensingEngr
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by SAttaya »

[color=#FF0000]pburrows145[/color] wrote:
tbwester wrote:The p20 is a phase shift machine, your SS2 (and the C10) are pulse based.

I know they say p20 is TOF, and maybe it is at some level - but the data characteristics are those of a phase shift machine.

There also seems to be some filtering of the p20 data onboard - this seems to remove low intensity returns that you would get at distance on pavement.

The P20 is pulse, not phase-based.
I used think I knew what the difference was between TOF and Phase-based methods of measuring were.
Now we get this new term - Pulse. Is that just a different name for TOF or some hybrid between Phase & TOF.
(also Reigl's "wave-form processing").

(and if you are going to define them and then state why one is better than another,
Please make it a comprehensive list of PROs and CONs for each method of measuring.
Note that didn't say by vendor, just measuring system - in general.)
Inquiring minds want to know.
tbwester
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Thad Wester
Company Details: Clarity Scanning
Company Position Title: President

Post by tbwester »

Pulse = Time of Flight. Time of flight is sending out individual pulses of lasers, timing them and then reccording a return for each "pulse".

Wave form is more akin to a filtering technique, where you can extract multiple returns per pulse.
jonathanLepage
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Jonathan Lepage
Company Details: Topo 3D
Company Position Title: Geomatics

Post by jonathanLepage »

We used setup where the scanner was as high as 4m (12ft) above ground using a hydrolic base mounted on a pickup truck. we were able to get around 50m+ (150ft) range this way.
Scan-Ninja
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Scan-Ninja »

jonathanLepage wrote:We used setup where the scanner was as high as 4m (12ft) above ground using a hydrolic base mounted on a pickup truck. we were able to get around 50m+ (150ft) range this way.
Thanks. Good to know that it's not something that we are doing wrong. We don't get that high, so that would explain how hard it is for us to get 150ft in most of our scans on pavement. I believe that it's also due to the reflection on asphalt, because I can get the paint stripes on a longer distance.
jonathanLepage
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Jonathan Lepage
Company Details: Topo 3D
Company Position Title: Geomatics

Post by jonathanLepage »

Thanks. Good to know that it's not something that we are doing wrong. We don't get that high, so that would explain how hard it is for us to get 150ft in most of our scans on pavement. I believe that it's also due to the reflection on asphalt, because I can get the paint stripes on a longer distance.
Same here we had better range on paint strips due to reflectiveness of the surface.

Return to “Terrestrial Laser Scanners [TLS]”