Handheld scanner that works with terrestrial 3D scanners ?

Faro FOCUS S350, S150, S70, M70, X30, X130, X130HDR, X330, X330HDR. Leica RTC360, C10, P15, P20, P30, P40, P50, BLK360, HDS6*00, HDS7000,HDS8800, HDS8400. Riegl VZ6000, VZ4000, VZ2000, VZ1000 & VZ400i. Topcon GTL-1000, GLS2200, GLS1500. Trimble X7, X9, X12, SX12, SX10, TX8, TX6, S7 & S9. Z+F IMAGER 5016, 5010X, 5010C, 5006H, 5006EX & PROFILER 9012
scottkim
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Scott Kim
Company Details: UCC environmental
Company Position Title: Designer
Linkedin Profile: No

Handheld scanner that works with terrestrial 3D scanners ?

Post by scottkim »

Do you know of a handheld scanner that can work with the terrestrial 3D scanner? I need detail for a specific object and want to link it to the main point cloud.

I tried the FARO Freestyle-2, but it doesn't seem to be suitable for me.

Artec LEO scanners are owned by other departments, so I researched them, but I can't figure out how to import the results to FARO Scene or Cyclone register 360. Because its output is in mesh format.

If you have any experience please share.
Ioannis
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Ioannis Papas
Company Details: techical office
Company Position Title: CEO
Skype Name: -
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Handheld scanner that works with terrestrial 3D scanners ?

Post by Ioannis »

Describe us exactly the project you are working in order to suggest solutions.
scottkim
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts

Post by scottkim »

The whole thing scans with TLS, but there is a need for a handheld scanner in the case of:

When I have small equipment that needs to be focused, when TLS is too narrow to scan at multiple angles, or when it takes too much time for this detail.
bolt pattern detail, etc.
Small spaces where TLS access is difficult, but scans are required
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor

Post by jedfrechette »

scottkim wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:11 pm Artec LEO scanners are owned by other departments, so I researched them, but I can't figure out how to import the results to FARO Scene or Cyclone register 360. Because its output is in mesh format.
The way we usually handle this is by creating a quick reference mesh from the terrestrial scanner data covering the area of interest, importing that mesh into Artec Studio, and then aligning the Artec scans to the mesh.

If you're just using the terrestrial scanner mesh as a reference to anchor the Artec scans and get them in to the same coordinate system as the rest of your model the reference mesh doesn't need to cover a large area or be particularly pretty. The reference mesh just needs to be dimensionally accurate and in the correct position, so the meshing tools built into whatever software you have available will probably be good enough.
Jed
chris_d
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Chris Dordoni
Company Details: laser scanning and CAD modeling
Company Position Title: scanning technician

Post by chris_d »

Its also possible to use Cloud Compare (free) or Geomagic to sample points on a mesh and then export a point cloud that you could import into Faro Scene or Register360. You would probably have to test this a bit if you wanted to sample the color texture to colored points to get that to import into either application successfully.
chris_d
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Chris Dordoni
Company Details: laser scanning and CAD modeling
Company Position Title: scanning technician

Post by chris_d »

Here's a bit more info, one screenshot from Cloud Compare and two from Geomagic.
NOTE: Geomagic calls the sample function "point cover".

Unfortunately my Geomagic license is for 2014 version so that may be why its not offering me a colored point cloud option.
I'm not getting an E57 or PTX option for the export from Geomagic. I can export single color point cloud in ASC format but it does not have normals.
I suspect if you have access to a newer version of Geomagic there would be a color option available and you could export in a format with normals like E57 or PTX

I have tested both applications with OBJ output from an Artec Leo and exporting to a point cloud and then importing into Reg360 (I do not have Scene).

Since your TLS data and your registration in Reg360 or Faro Scene may not match the units of the Leo scan, I would recommended confirming the units and scaling the point cloud generated from the Leo scan before you import it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scottkim
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts

Post by scottkim »

Thanks for sharing your experience.
I think I've got a little direction on what to do now.
JeffT
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter
Full Name: Jeff T
Company Details: Geospatial
Company Position Title: Engineering Technician

Post by JeffT »

I do similar to chris_d when doing aircraft scanning with an RTC 360 and Artec Leo. I also use Geomagic to mesh things out. I import everything into Reg360 and then move it to Cyclone Core and add all constraints. It tightens things up quite a bit, and it's much easier to make a good coordinate system by selecting points. It's also MUCH easier to clean aircraft points in Core. I don't even want to think about it in Reg360. Aircraft are made to be shiny and slippery in the air, so there are a lot of reflection points to clean out. In Core it's super easy to just click on a group of bad reflected points and show only that scan, then clean the bad points, rinse and repeat. So, so, so much better than Reg360.

After that I import PTX's into Geomagic and mesh things out. I generally do a remove outliers at 100, reduce noise, recompute normals and mesh it out. I will take those meshes on the Master coord system and import them into Artec Studio. Then move the meshes from the Artec stuff to the meshes from the long range data. I only do this AFTER making the OBJ textured meshes in Artec Studio. That way they have all been colorized and are finished.
Augusto 3D
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: C-Augusto
Company Details: 3d scanning
Company Position Title: USA

Post by Augusto 3D »

This is a great discussion, so Jeff can you then export the ARTEC Leo scan out of artect studio as a point cloud?
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Paul Burrows
Company Details: Leica Geosystems Europe
Company Position Title: Scanning Solutions Manager - Europe

Post by pburrows145 »

Would iPhone Lidar support in Cyclone FIELD 360 linked to TLS scans be enough for you? Or you need higher quality?

Return to “Terrestrial Laser Scanners [TLS]”