Strange scan problem

Faro FOCUS S350, S150, S70, M70, X30, X130, X130HDR, X330, X330HDR. Leica RTC360, C10, P15, P20, P30, P40, P50, BLK360, HDS6*00, HDS7000,HDS8800, HDS8400. Riegl VZ6000, VZ4000, VZ2000, VZ1000 & VZ400i. Topcon GTL-1000, GLS2200, GLS1500. Trimble X7, X9, X12, SX12, SX10, TX8, TX6, S7 & S9. Z+F IMAGER 5016, 5010X, 5010C, 5006H, 5006EX & PROFILER 9012
Leandre Robitaille
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Leandre Robitaille
Company Details: Cima+
Company Position Title: Civil Technician - Surveyor

Re: Strange scan problem

Post by Leandre Robitaille »

Jedfrechette, can you confirm this issue comes from the original faro files and not the scene software. I know OP said it was the same everywhere but I have still doubts its a Scene software issue. Try importing the original file directly from the sd card into another registration software (cyclone, etc). If the issue is not present in cyclone, can you try different versions of scene. Also think you can you share this original scan file with us? I want to figure a way to avoid this, it has me worried :/

What settings were the scan done? 1/4 3x?
filters?
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by jedfrechette »

The scan was done with the standard "Outdoor >20m" preset. I'm afraid I can't share the data from this project.

I haven't tried loading the raw scans directly in to any other software, but all of those imports are going to rely on Faro's libraries so if the bug exists there I would expect to see the same thing.

I'm curious what specific firmware and software versions the other users who have seen this are using. The S350+ that this scan is from is a new acquisition, and since we generally don't update firmware unless it solves a significant known issue, it is almost certainly running a newer firmware than our other units. I haven't had a chance to confirm this yet though.

Maybe we've just been lucky and never observed this before in tens of thousands of scans, but I am suspicious that it is a new problem. Since the scanner is the only thing that has changed for us recently I'd suspect it's firmware before the well tested versions of Scene and the SDK that we're using
Jed
scottkim
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Scott Kim
Company Details: UCC environmental
Company Position Title: Designer
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by scottkim »

Thank you for your interest.

As I've said enough before, this isn't an issue with scenes. Same result with Cyclone and Recap. And FARO knows that this is their problem.

This problem seems to occur under special conditions, but it is never easy to recognize and delete or fix all of them.

Some FARO users have already experienced this problem, but I'd like to hear the experiences of other brand users.
Because FARO says this is a common problem for all brands and gives no solution.

And FARO users who found this problem would like to report directly to FARO. That is because they will actively try to solve it.

Thank you.
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by jedfrechette »

scottkim wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:56 pmBecause FARO says this is a common problem for all brands and gives no solution.
I don't think it's even common for Faro scanners. Over the last decade, I've probably looked at tens of thousands of scans from dozens of different individual units across almost all of Faro's model lines and until I ran in to it a few days ago I had never seen this before. It's certainly possible we've been missing it all this time, but due to the way we use the data I find that highly unlikely.
Jed
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

jedfrechette wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:31 pm
scottkim wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:56 pmBecause FARO says this is a common problem for all brands and gives no solution.
I don't think it's even common for Faro scanners. Over the last decade, I've probably looked at tens of thousands of scans from dozens of different individual units across almost all of Faro's model lines and until I ran in to it a few days ago I had never seen this before. It's certainly possible we've been missing it all this time, but due to the way we use the data I find that highly unlikely.
Suggests it might be a recently introduced issues. Could be worth comparing firmware versions and software versions that it is happening with.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by jedfrechette »

smacl wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:13 am Suggests it might be a recently introduced issues. Could be worth comparing firmware versions and software versions that it is happening with.
Agreed, my money is on firmware. I'd love to hear what version others who have observed it are on.
Jed
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by jedfrechette »

A quick update to this issue. We just saw the same artifact in new data from a different S Plus 350. The newest unit to exhibit the problem was also running firmware version 6.7.0.4464. The new affected scan was also captured with the OUTDOOR_FAR preset.
Jed

Return to “Terrestrial Laser Scanners [TLS]”