Relationship between Flight Speed, Flight Height and Range resolution

Trimble SX10, Leica BLK360, C5, C10, P15, P16, P20, P30, P40, P50, HDS8800, HDS8400, Riegl VZ6000, VZ4000, VZ2000, VZ1000 & VZ400i, Topcon GLS2000S, GLS1500, etc
[email protected]
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Avishek Dutta
Company Details: Viscan solutions
Company Position Title: Angestellter

Relationship between Flight Speed, Flight Height and Range resolution

Post by [email protected] » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:54 am

Hello everyone,

I am quite new to data acquisition using Laser scanner and have immediately stumbled on the important question of scanner accuracy and/or precision. This is by no means a new question however I am putting it in a different way.
I am looking for a scanner to mount on our drone and do serious Drone-based scanning of roads and forests. I have so far shortlisted Ouster OS-1-16 and VLP-16. At first glance ouster looks better (having an IMU is a bonus). However I am trying to calculate by hand the accuracy they mention from their own specifications. So far I have been unsuccessful as I cannot find any literature where clear mathematical relations are listed for resolution computation and also how it depends on distance from object (Flight height) and Flight speed.
I would be very grateful if someone can provide insight into the range resolution calculation process and its geometry.

Regards,
Avi

Return to “Pulse Based Scanners”