Underwater Laser Scanning

Discuss all Underwater Scanning related issues here.
Formula1982
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Stephen Ferrari
Company Details: UTEC StarNet Geomatics
Company Position Title: Technical Lead

Underwater Laser Scanning

Post by Formula1982 »

When I noticed there weren't any topics in this section yet, I couldn't resist getting the first one in!

So for anyone who hasn't come across underwater scanning before, it's very impressive in terms of the speed of data capture, the accuracy of the data and the data clarity (especially compared to what it used to be, or sonar solutions).

A few images below of one of our projects scanning 10" pipework on the seabed. Get in touch if you'd like to know anything more.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt Young
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Matt Young
Company Details: Baker Hicks
Company Position Title: CAD-BIM Lead
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Underwater Laser Scanning

Post by Matt Young »

Having worked with some underwater data this year I can say that I was also very impressed with what can be achieved now. we worked on a project where the underwater data was joined with data we captured above the water. The accuracy was amazing!

I would love to tell more about the project, but it's really not my place to say.
If you don't see that there is nothing, then you are kidding yourself.
Poux
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Florent POUX
Company Details: 3D Academy - UTwente
Company Position Title: Course Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by Poux »

Looks awesome !

Talking about accuracy, what can you expect from your experience for a well conducted underwater project (precision per point, noise, range, ...) ? Do you georeference such point clouds or work locally ?

First time I see such examples, very very nice !
Formula1982
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Formula1982 »

Matt Young wrote:Having worked with some underwater data this year I can say that I was also very impressed with what can be achieved now. we worked on a project where the underwater data was joined with data we captured above the water. The accuracy was amazing!

I would love to tell more about the project, but it's really not my place to say.
Matt,
The work you've done is sonar based isn't it? Some good sonar based systems out there. We've done a few small test projects on canals and damns where we were joining terrestrial scanning data with the underwater scans, it's a great application.
Formula1982
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Formula1982 »

Poux wrote:Looks awesome !

Talking about accuracy, what can you expect from your experience for a well conducted underwater project (precision per point, noise, range, ...) ? Do you georeference such point clouds or work locally ?

First time I see such examples, very very nice !
As you'd expect, the water is a more challenging environment to work in than air. Both logistically, physically conducting the survey, but also technically. The accuracy is affected by the water itself - clarity and particulates in the water in particular can cause an issue and reduce the clarity of the final data. Range is dependent on the water clarity too. If it's fast moving currents, you have to consider the stability of your scanning deployment method. For most projects we would be working locally, but in some cases georeferencing is necessary. There are a couple of different methods of achieving this, depending on the survey location (and water depth).
JDicken
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Jemma Dicken
Company Details: Bridgeway Consulting
Company Position Title: Engineering Surveyor

Post by JDicken »

It looks really nice.

I would be interested to learn more on this topic. Such as what equipment is out there etc. I imagine it can't come cheap? :lol:
Backface
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: JP stapleton
Company Details: MSC
Company Position Title: Director
Skype Name: ambientocclusion

Post by Backface »

Hi Guys

Also a field im interested in though have not had any experience in it, thought this article might interest you if you have not seen it already.
http://lidarnews.com/press-releases/wor ... -printing/

Regards
Jason
savante
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Dr. Grant Thomson
Company Details: Savante Offshore Services
Company Position Title: Director

Post by savante »

Hello, afraid I have not been particularly active on this forum, but my company Savante has been performing subsea and underwater laser metrology (scanning, making 3D models in general) since 2003/2004 and we've been using it in much the same way as the construction and forensic world. 3D scenes, point clouds and then onto measurements really.

I thought I would just say my hello but importantly put to present a link to our website at www.savante.co.uk

I would of course be delighted if you'd visit, perhaps subscribe to our newsletter and hopefully we can share some of our knowledge. In short, laser scanning works well underwater; although you need to plan your scans to accommodate the absorptive and scattering properties of water.

If I can, I have some really interesting case studies which I'd like to post, but if you would like to know more and can't get enough info from the site (still evolving), I pretty much blog on a daily basis on Linkedin. I'm a member of the laser scanning forum linkedin page- hunt me down from there !!!

Best Regards,

Grant Thomson, Managing Founder / Foundering Manager @ Savante Subsea
Nadalchukwu
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Onwordi Ugochukwu
Company Details: Ariosh Limited
Company Position Title: Design Engineer- Civil
Skype Name: Onwordi Ugochukwu
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by Nadalchukwu »

savante wrote:Hello, afraid I have not been particularly active on this forum, but my company Savante has been performing subsea and underwater laser metrology (scanning, making 3D models in general) since 2003/2004 and we've been using it in much the same way as the construction and forensic world. 3D scenes, point clouds and then onto measurements really.

I thought I would just say my hello but importantly put to present a link to our website at http://www.savante.co.uk

I would of course be delighted if you'd visit, perhaps subscribe to our newsletter and hopefully we can share some of our knowledge. In short, laser scanning works well underwater; although you need to plan your scans to accommodate the absorptive and scattering properties of water.

If I can, I have some really interesting case studies which I'd like to post, but if you would like to know more and can't get enough info from the site (still evolving), I pretty much blog on a daily basis on Linkedin. I'm a member of the laser scanning forum linkedin page- hunt me down from there !!!

Best Regards,

Grant Thomson, Managing Founder / Foundering Manager @ Savante Subsea
hunting you immediately
tomcard
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Tom Card
Company Details: LandScope Engineering Ltd
Company Position Title: 3D Survey Services Manager

Post by tomcard »

Hi,

Very interesting stuff, we've done a lot of underwater scanning sonar but not laser yet. Is there any issue with water clarity? I would imagine that reasonable visibility is required. Also, do you use scanning sonar to provide the overall location of items, as per the last image?

Return to “Underwater Scanning”