V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Tommy R Maddox III
Company Details: ONSITE3D
Company Position Title: Director of Technology
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Drawings in InfiPoints

Post by TommyMaddox »

As requested by Scott here on LSF, I've made a drawings topic here in the InfiPoints section.

Below are two YouTube videos I made showing a very brief demonstration of some of the features pertaining to drawings that InfiPoints offers. Also attached is the manual for InfiPoints, so anyone interested can do some reading on the features and capabilities that InfiPoints offers.

Drawings can be exported off in DWG/DXF format and edited by a drawing software of your choice before being reimported as a separate drawing, or replacing an existing drawing within InfiPoints.

Also note that drawings and drawing entities are visible within the pointcloud environment.

The first video shows the almost instantaneous creation of drawing entities via the cross sectional lines of the automatically extracted planes. This approach uses a section instead of a clipping box, but the results would be pretty much the same with either approach.

youtu.be/d9Cd1ioCd48

The second video shows the process of automatic segment extraction (similar to the "Mesh-sketch" tool in Design X for those who are familiar with the software), as well as background creation (effectively an orthophoto of the points in the clipping box or section corresponding to the drawing), and some of the export options available.

youtu.be/6zWuiK-IEws

I plan to make actual drawings available for examination when I have the time to produce a couple very detailed ones.I'm completely new to architectural and building drawings, so it may take me some time to produce them to an acceptable standard. Note that there are no particularly advanced drawing tools like premade door/window/AC unit/etc... symbols and entities within InfiPoints at this time. I would expect this to change if it became a desired feature by the user-base.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TommyMaddox
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Re: Drawings in InfiPoints

Post by TommyMaddox »

Below are also some image outputs from a little bit of drawing work done on our office.

Note that I just sketched most of this manually, the plane drawing approach produces much easier and better results.

This is the drawing within the pointcloud environment

Here is one of the 'orthophoto' drawing background

And here is one of the drawing with the 'orthophoto' background.
Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Page
Company Details: Scott Page Design- Architectural service
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Scott »

Tommy, Thanks for putting the videos (and screenshots) together.
Smart dimension tools that snap to key plane intersections (extracted from point clouds), column centers, and wall openings, would be of great value I would think. Linking accurate dimensional data to point clouds is what many clients request/expect. It's the first pass before solid modeling, really. ~S
TommyMaddox
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by TommyMaddox »

Scott wrote:Tommy, Thanks for putting the videos (and screenshots) together.
Smart dimension tools that snap to key plane intersections (extracted from point clouds), column centers, and wall openings, would be of great value I would think. Linking accurate dimensional data to point clouds is what many clients request/expect. It's the first pass before solid modeling, really. ~S
At this time the dimension tools do snap to end points, lines, and intersections. They also snap to cylinder axes, however they do not seem to snap to structural element axes for some reason. I suspect this is a bug, and I'll submit it accordingly. When placing dimensions in 3D mode within the pointcloud environment, they snap perfectly fine to the structural axes, so I suspect that not snapping to the structural axes in drawing mode is a bug.

When using the structural element tool, you can define the location of the element axis at various locations in the cross sectional profile, for example an I-beam cross section can have the axis located in the following locations:

Bottom Center
Bottom Right
Bottom Left
Middle Left
Middle Right
Middle Center
Top Left
Top Right
Top Center

This may provide some additional flexibility where needed.

Return to “Elysium”