I have made <0 posts
Full Name: CJ Gabel
Company Details: VM Systems Inc.
Company Position Title: Project Engineer
Linkedin Profile: No

DPI 8 Handheld Scanner

Post by CJGabel »

Hello,

It has been awhile since I have been active here but you guys were so helpful in the past I thought I would give it a try with our new product. I am a CAD/Scanning guy for a sheet metal contractor out of Toledo, Ohio. I have a new job that is way out of my wheelhouse. In this job I am scanning "clover" shaped windows to get CAD files to a window manufacturer. We have about 80 windows to do and they are four stories up. In the past i have worked with the Trimble TX5 but I thought this would not work up in a lift so we purchased a DPI 8.

The stone around the windows is fairly reflective and in the daytime I am not finding any way to make this work. Has anyone had any experience working with this? I read before we purchased that the handheld does not perform well in direct sunlight, but even in shady conditions of a courtyard our results were not very good. I am starting to think my only option is to work 3rd shift overnight but my contact want to see if an "umbrella" type device would work. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

CJ Gabel
cadmium
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Jason Bayer
Company Details: Armistead Mechanical
Company Position Title: Piping Designer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: DPI 8 Handheld Scanner

Post by cadmium »

Are you using targets or april tags when using the handheld?
Does it lose tracking, or does the scan just come out warped when its done?

I will choose to use the TX5 over the DPI-8 whenever I can.
Can you anchor the TX5 scanner to a column clamp or something?
steves01x
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Smith
Company Details: Scanning
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Post by steves01x »

You could try photogrammetry - a left & right pair. If you went medium format you could get a loads of the windows in each pair of photos? And use the total station for control for all the targets in each photo. Or even use a UAV?

More info on photogrammetry:

http://www.tsa-uk.org.uk/downloads/

https://historicengland.org.uk/images-b ... -heritage/
CJGabel
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: CJ Gabel
Company Details: VM Systems Inc.
Company Position Title: Project Engineer
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by CJGabel »

Cadmium,

Yes I am using April Tags. After I updated the software recently the tracking has become much better. With the reflective stone I am generally just getting a "blank" space where it appears it is not even seeing the stone. I have done this at night and had much better results. I have found much better results with the TX5 and when I spoke to a Trimble field guy he said he has used the TX5 in lifts before, but being 4 stories up i am swaying easily 5-6 inches, so to me this is way to much. I did not think about possibly mounting the TX5, I will look into that.

Steves01x,

I have not heard much about photogrammetry and when I get a chance I will look through those links.

Thanks for the input gentleman.
WWilford
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Warren Wilford
Company Details: Berkshire Dimensions
Company Position Title: owner

Post by WWilford »

I made this rig for scanning out of windows and have had good success with it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cahern3d
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Chris Ahern
Company Details: DotProduct
Company Position Title: VP of Sales and Marketing

Post by cahern3d »

Hi CM,

Glad to hear you are getting better results with updated software, and that you're utilizing AprilTags for your scanning. For the shiny stone, the best suggestion is to avoid sunlight as you have, and approach from different distances and angles. This will typically do the trick for almost any surface that is not fully mirrored/polished/reflective/transparent, but may require some more patience while scanning. I've never seen any type of stone that can't be captured with the DPI-8/X. Please feel free to contact us directly with any further questions: https://www.dotproduct3d.com/contact-support.html

Best,
Chris

Return to “DotProduct”