black_jmyntrn
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Jimmy Neutron
Company Details: none
Company Position Title: none

Dot3D Pro - D415 - Detailed Parts Scan

Post by black_jmyntrn »

How can I obtain more detail in my scans using Dot3D Pro and a D415? In my initial tests, I am unable to obtain nice close details in this part I am trying to scan. I've even tried different printed targets, later today I am going to try using reflective circle targets.

cahern3d
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Chris Ahern
Company Details: DotProduct
Company Position Title: VP of Sales and Marketing
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Dot3D Pro - D415 - Detailed Parts Scan

Post by cahern3d »

@black_jmyntrn Unfortunately there is not much you can do to improve the results/detail you are seeing with the D415. Put simply, this camera is unfortunately not suitable for detailed part scanning. Even for room scanning, the D415 is one of the lowest accuracy cameras supported by Dot3D. The DPI-XSR or DPI-10SR (DotProduct-calibrated PrimeSense Carmine 1.09 kits) are the only supported cameras that are particularly recommended for detailed equipment/object/component scanning. Please see here for a full blog comparing the + and - of the many supported cameras. If possible, I would recommend you give one of these shorter range options a try. If even this is not detailed enough (1-2 mm resolution), then you may want to consider a higher-priced metrology-grade 3D scanner.
black_jmyntrn
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Jimmy Neutron
Company Details: none
Company Position Title: none

Re: Dot3D Pro - D415 - Detailed Parts Scan

Post by black_jmyntrn »

thank you for the reply, after much research I have come to the conclusion you mentioned and went to photogrammetry for now. So far so good and by the way, my new Razer Blade 15 Advanced (the I9 model) ran your software flawless, better than any Android tablet or Phone. If you ever need someone to test it, let me know.

Return to “DotProduct”