GeoSLAM Zeb-Revo

Discuss all GeoSlam related products here.
3DForensics
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Eugene Liscio
Company Details: AI2-3D Forensics
Company Position Title: Owner
Skype Name: eliscio

Re: GeoSLAM Zeb-Revo

Post by 3DForensics »

Hi Mark,

The answer depends on who is using it, but I think that especially in your case, having accurately placed RGB directly on the point cloud is a better solution because it allows you to clearly establish features in the point data.

There are many features that are simply not identifiable on a roadway surface or building façade without intensity or colour to break out the differences. I have used the ambient occlusion and similar lighting effects to bring out the point cloud details in certain cases (I had to scan a white snowmobile track once that was void of any colour whatsoever), however, a lot of my work deals with roadways.

I think GeoSLAM has a wonderful solution for mobile mapping, but if you can stick a couple of GoPro cameras on there for colour, I would have to think that a few doors would open in terms of sales opportunities.

Looking forward to catching up with you at SPAR.

Cheers,

Eugene
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by jedfrechette »

mark.reid wrote:Hi, As stated at the moment we do not offer a camera solution to capture imagery simultaneously to the LIDAR data. It is however possible to do this as a post process (in several software 3rd party packages) from separately captured imagery if RGB is required.
Any specific suggestions? Admittedly I haven't looked very hard, but I haven't seen any good solutions for projecting independently captured photos or video on to an arbitrary point cloud.
Jed
stuartcadge
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Stuart Cadge
Company Details: GeoSLAM
Company Position Title: Global Marketing and Comms Executive
Skype Name: Stuart Cadge

Post by stuartcadge »

We've been getting some good mentions in the press surrounding the SPAR 3D event in Texas, which has just finished for another year.

Check out the below if you're interested in reading more:

Jonathan Coco reviews the new SurphSLAM mobile mapping system: http://www.spar3d.com/blogs/guest-blog/ ... surphslam/

'3 Trends to Look for at SPAR'; http://www.spar3d.com/blogs/measuring-t ... cisions/2/
Stuart Cadge
Global Marketing & Communications Executive
GeoSLAM Ltd
Matt Young
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Matt Young
Company Details: Baker Hicks
Company Position Title: CAD-BIM Lead
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Matt Young »

We have been using the ZEB Revo in the last couple of days. The scanning could not be easier and it's very quick.

My problem now is with the software... It took hours of tweeking settings and trying different installs on my computer to realise that it would not work. I installed on the PC next to me and it did it first time.

I tried to import the test dataset that ships with the installer and that worked fine. Now I have 4 datasets captured yesterday that just will not process... I get a processing error every time...

I am in touch with the guys we hired the scanner from and with Geoslam support. I just wondered if anyone else had had similar problems with the Geoslam software?
If you don't see that there is nothing, then you are kidding yourself.
RSteffen
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Richard Steffen PhD
Company Details: PointCab GmbH
Company Position Title: CEO

Post by RSteffen »

Hi Aaron,

some of our clients combine GeoSlam-Revo pointclouds with terrestrial scans using the tranformation calculator in PointCab. We are going to make a tutorial video for this task. Can be done in 5 minutes, pretty easy to understand and use.

http://www.pointcab-software.com/en/tut ... alculator/

Regards,
Richard
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

I've uploaded through the Zeb-uploader software and received my data within a few hours.

Imported it in Pointcab to generate my drawings.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
Matt Young
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Matt Young »

I'm using the desktop version of the software. It's working now with an update from Geoslam. I do think that the software seems to be in development and still needs a little work for Windows users.
walkerrichard
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Richard Walker
Company Details: Point Cloud Solutions
Company Position Title: Canadian Distributor for GeoSLAM Scanner

Post by walkerrichard »

Every piece of software is under development - including Windows!

The GeoSLAM desktop processor is very quick and does what a big grinder cloud station does for those who for security or volume (or distaste of uploading at all) want it all in house. That requires an Oracle environment, and a Virtual Machine and some dedicated RAM and drive space.

Raw scanner data to processed point cloud is by copying a file into the set up processing folder in the running virtual machine, while windows is working on the other side.

So you can watch Youtube videos of kittens in the Windows environment while you are processing point clouds in the VM. I think that is pretty good, and I don't even like kittens.

We do a total delivery solution in Canada as a $1K US option - a factory warranty preloaded touchscreen HP 17 laptop with all the requirements (i7 16G RAM with min 8 allocated to VM). So its actually not a hurdle to install the software and get it switched on really. We ask for customers using pre-existing systems to set aside 1 hour for the first install and offer live one on one support. No troubles.

I am guilty of sending Jonathan Coco a stale config file myself last week for his Revo work. remedied within the hour when discovered. I owe him a beer now, I think.

Glad you got yours sorted through GeoSLAM.

Cheers
Richard Walker
Point Cloud Solutions
pointcloudsolutions.ca
Matt Young
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Matt Young »

Thanks Richard.

The software when running is very good. It just seemed like pain installing on one PC for some strange reason. Another one worked absolutely fine.

I'm very impressed with the results from just a half hour of scanning. The data is noisy in comparison with other scanners but the time saving means that it's the perfect tool for some projects.
RobM
I have made 100> posts
I have made 100> posts
Full Name: Robin Miller
Company Details: My own boss
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by RobM »

I haven't had the chance to test the Zeb-Revo in person, but did receive some registered sample point clouds from our distributor. From what I could tell there was a lot of noise which would put the accuracy somewhere close to 5cm. Looking at the data, I was really wondering how to interprete the data if I was going to make some layouts out of this, since 5cm can mean a lot in architecture. For now I doubt that the time saved makes up for the missing accuracy as I wouldn't want to tell my customer that the scan data might or might not be that great. But I guess its alright for some projects. It all depends price / accuracy / time savings.

Return to “GeoSLAM”