Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Forte and Tablada
Company Position Title: AMM Division Leader
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Test with Zeb1

Post by jcoco3 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:45 am

Ive just mastered the `scanner dance` and now need to get to grips with the REVO `side step & moon walk` :D
Somebody please video that for me ;)

Quick question...what software has visualization styles(aside from elevation or sections) to help view points without intensity or color?

Seems like CloudCompare and Arena4D are the only ones that have the special shading tools.

jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: Lidar Supervisor

Post by jedfrechette » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:25 pm

jcoco3 wrote:Quick question...what software has visualization styles(aside from elevation or sections) to help view points without intensity or color?
I believe Sequoia will as well. PolyWorks can too, but relies on being able to estimate surface normals from structured point clouds so won't work out of the box ith GeoSlam data. If you estimated the surface normals before importing it would work fine though.
Jed

AndyBaines
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Andy Baines
Company Details: Opti-cal Survey Equipment
Company Position Title: GIS Product Manager

Post by AndyBaines » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:15 pm

Completely agree with the previous posts about the difference between the Zeb1 and the Zeb Revo. The dataset from the Revo is a significant improvement and is far better to work with. You can also move faster with a Revo (whilst still adhering to the basic rules of using Zeb scanners) and have confidence that the cloud will still register in Geoslam Desktop because the more evenly spaced points create a more robust cloud.

I use Cloud Compare (new version just out) for visualisations, the pcv and EDL shader work really well with this data.

Just because it is a nice graphic, here is a timber frame barn that I scanned in about 25 mins with a Revo. Great results and accurate enough for 1:100 (or possibly even 1:50) linework drawings.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Forte and Tablada
Company Position Title: AMM Division Leader

Post by jcoco3 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:44 pm

Thanks Jed and Andy. I guess I should have suspected Sequoia and Polyworks would help. I am very familar with the EDL in Cloud Compare...wish that visualization style was in more CAD platforms :?

With regard to what Jason and many others have been discussing with using survey control to augment the Revo data, would it not be possible to augment it with static scan data already? The reason I ask is that SurphSlam is supposed to be able to capture moving and static scans from the same platform, so it would appear that the math is already there.

Maybe the solution instead of using targets and survey control is to use some static scans(possibly with survey control) to be the backbone for the Revo data? I know in many instances that would not be ideal, but in others it might work fine.

Probably better just to wait and see what the GeoSlam guys cook up :)

AnthonyMahoney
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Anthony Mahoney
Company Details: AM Surveys
Company Position Title: Director
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by AnthonyMahoney » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:37 pm

tbwester wrote:
Jason Warren wrote:Thats impressive....

I think I really need to do a comparison and scan a building with scanner/total station combo and b&w targets, and then repeat with the REVO to compare the coordinates of the targets. Having spoken with Opti-cal this morning, I understand there is quite a demand for these REVO units in the UK, and I cant get my hands on one for a couple of weeks :(

Thanks again for your posts on this... ;)
Jason we have done this for the zeb1, not the revo. I'll send a PM

Can i get one...

AnthonyMahoney
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Anthony Mahoney
Company Details: AM Surveys
Company Position Title: Director

Post by AnthonyMahoney » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:44 pm

For registering we used spheres and registered in Cloudcompare you'd need to contact Andy at Levelling Equipment to get the results i'll throw him an email and see. pretty sure we got 15-20mm in positional accuracy when compared to some surveyed points

AndyBaines
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by AndyBaines » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:36 am

We are expecting the next batch of Zeb Revo's to arrive from Geoslam over the next week or so, please feel free to get in touch to arrange for a demo or a sample dataset.
We also have comparative scans of a building using the Zeb1 and the Zeb Revo, let me know if you would like to have a copy.
Andy

blazaj
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jiri Blazek
Company Details: Blazek Win Precision Systems
Company Position Title: 3D documentation
Skype Name: blazaj

Post by blazaj » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:57 am

AndyBaines wrote:We also have comparative scans of a building using the Zeb1 and the Zeb Revo, let me know if you would like to have a copy.
Andy
Thank you Andy, would you be able to share the datasets with us?

AndyBaines
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by AndyBaines » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:27 pm

No problem, I've created a couple of subsets of the clouds which I have uploaded to Google Drive, PM me and I'll send over a link.

To give you an idea of the difference in the point spacing have a look at the screenshot below, I think it illustrates quite well how the Revo 100hz sensor creates a far more uniform cloud. Obviously with mobile mapping the point density depends on how long you scan a surface for, and the constant movement means that shadows will happen in different places each time you scan, so it is hard to do a fully comparable set of scans. But this image gives you a fair impression of the difference between the two.

It is worth pointing out that to create floorplans and basic internals both instruments perform well, and the Zeb1 still certainly has a place in the toolbox of scanners, but when outside and stretching the limits of the instruments the Revo is notably different.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jason Warren
Administrator
Administrator
Full Name: Jason Warren
Company Details: Laser Scanning Forum Ltd
Company Position Title: Co-Founder
Skype Name: jason_warren

Post by Jason Warren » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:59 am

Thats great Andy, PM on its way... ;)
Jason Warren