V.I.P Member
Full Name: Nick Bush
Company Details: NOVAMECH
Company Position Title: Director
Skype Name: novamech5
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Snap to & Rotate about Scan Position

Post by NOVAMECH »

RIGHT !! - Time to get a topic up on our brand new and Shiny POLYWORKS Section.

Does anyone know if it is possible to "Snap to and then Rotate" about the Scan Position within ImAlign?

I use this functionality when I am registering scan files within CYCLONE. If PolyWorks had this I would almost start doing all my Registration within ImAlign.

At the moment I use it for "fine tuning my alignment of scans" with the excellent cloud to cloud fitting it provides.

I'm still stuck on V12 - perhaps its been added - or is scheduled as a new tool for a future release.
Last edited by NOVAMECH on Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
nickherath
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Nick Herath
Company Details: Veris
Company Position Title: Principal

Re: Snap to & Rotate about Scan Position

Post by nickherath »

Nick,
Polyworks doesn't have the ability to switch between orbit and look modes. Navigation works by orbiting around the model with the focus point defined by where you grab the scan. Are you aware of all the mouse modifiers to constrain rotation about certain axis?

Agreed, the ability to look from the scan position would be a nice addition but seeing as registration of TLS datasets is done almost entirely in plan and elevation ortho views I don't see this as a necessity, more so a nicety.

The visual registration tool in Cyclone 9.1 kind of replicates what Polyworks has been able to do for almost 10 years. It's a great tool for alignments and I find it several times faster than Cyclone visual registration with excellent QA metrics. I also can't recall the last time it crashed on me.
Andrej
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Andrej
Company Details: Meixner Vermessung and Freelancer
Company Position Title: Project Manager

Re: Snap to & Rotate about Scan Position

Post by Andrej »

nickherath wrote:Nick,
Agreed, the ability to look from the scan position would be a nice addition but seeing as registration of TLS datasets is done almost entirely in plan and elevation ortho views I don't see this as a necessity, more so a nicety.
Hi Nick

for acquiring target (black and white as well as sphere) this view option is the fastest in my opinion especially if you done the field capture. If Cyclone would get black and white targets and spheres automatically as good as other programs this view may not be needed as much, but we will have to wait for this for ever now as cloud to cloud will have priority.

Andrej

Return to “PolyWorks”