Exporting Compensated ZFS Files without Registration

Discuss Z+F Laser Control software here.
gklmdawson
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Kevin Dawson
Company Details: Sunrise Engineering
Company Position Title: HDS Survey Manager

Exporting Compensated ZFS Files without Registration

Post by gklmdawson »

I wasn't sure the best place to put this, so I posted in both LaserControl and Z+F Hardware. I apologize for the double post.

I have been using Cyclone for a few years and just recently added a 5010c to our scaning capabilities. I have successfully used LaserControl to filter the points and apply images and then export to .zfs for registration in cyclone. I have hit a bit of wall with the compensator though. I know that the compensator doesn't actively compensate the scans while it is scanning, but is applied in LaserControl. has anyone found a workflow that applies the compensator values to the scans without having to register in LaserControl? I would like to have apply the compensator, filers, and images in LaserControl and export to Cyclone for Registration and processing. any experiences or suggestions would be appreciated.
Phill
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Phillip Nixon
Company Details: SKM
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Re: Exporting Compensated ZFS Files without Registration

Post by Phill »

Kevin

As far a I know (and I am pretty sure about this), the zfs fle contains the tilt sensor information. Cyclone will read this information and level correct the scan. I think it was Cyclone version 7.4.1 where they started applying the correction. If you want to check for yourself, in ZFLC read the header. Index 22020 to 22222 is the tilt sensor values. The ones that are applied (I think) are the first values, the 2nd and third are checks to make sure ther original values are within tolerance.

I would suggest doing a scan that that is right on the limit of the tolerace of the tilt sensor (I think you can tilt to 0.5°), because who would trust information someone on the internet gave you. Put a target or two out and do a scan

Open the zfs in LFLC and do a target acquistion. It will give you 2 values, the local and the world. Local is untilt corrected, world is tilt corrected. They should be different if you had the level turned on. If you reach the maximum tilt (0.5°) and still got it to scan the z value at a target about 15m away should be 130mm different by my math.

Now open the zfs in Cyclone and do the targeting again. Does the target match the world or local coordinates. I hope you will find it matches the world coordinate. If you do, let me know, so I can walk around the office like a rooster who knows what he is talking about.

Cheers

Phill
hypsometric
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Arash Yaghoubi
Company Details: Hypsometric
Company Position Title: Director of Cartography
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by hypsometric »

Kevin,

if your firmware is 8.7 or higher on your 5010c and had the scanner in rough level during the scans you can do one better than what you need.... you can run the critical compensation filter... and then export as a zfs as a zfs... if you hit a wall in that process let me know sometimes you have to trick LC into thinking its registered by "registering targets" select all scans, select no targets, select all spirit levels... next... uncheck bundleadjustment and check "use existing registration".
gklmdawson
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Kevin Dawson
Company Details: Sunrise Engineering
Company Position Title: HDS Survey Manager

Post by gklmdawson »

thanks for your help. I was able to export the data from LaserControl into cyclone. I checked the targets in cyclone and compared them to the targets in Laser Control and they matched. I have now run into a very strange issue with cyclone that I have never seen before. when I add the scans into my registration the targets all have the same elevation and register beautifully. however when I toggle the Scan as Leveled I get huge vertical error. this is a strange surprise to me because I just checked all my targets in the controlspace and they have the same elevation.

I would like to designate the scans as leveled to prevent twisting between control points. has anyone ever seen this before?

Return to “Z+F Laser Control”