Best LiDAR system for Pavement Asset Management Company?

For comparison of laser scanning products
pvmnt_mgmt
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Caitlin Parsons
Company Details: IMS Infrastructure Management Services
Company Position Title: Technical Analyst

Best LiDAR system for Pavement Asset Management Company?

Post by pvmnt_mgmt »

I am a GIS/technical analyst for a pavement asset management company. I have very little experience with LiDAR, so I am looking for some advice. We are considering integrating a LiDAR or laser-scanning system into our data-collection workflow. Some of our clients require that we measure sidewalk ramps so they can confirm whether or not their current infrastructure is ADA compliant. Right now, our field technicians survey sidewalks on an ATV, and are required to park, dismount, and hand-measure these ramps. We are searching for a system that would allow our technicians to more quickly collect their data, while also lessening the physical strain of collection, so that the resulting LiDAR data may be brought in-house, and the measurements be collected digitally. We are open to both mobile and stationary LiDAR systems, but ultimately our concerns are highly accurate data, and quickness and ease of collection and post-processing.

If you have any particular models in mind of what may help us streamline this process, I would appreciate the recommendation. Thank you!
Matt Young
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Matt Young
Company Details: Baker Hicks
Company Position Title: CAD-BIM Lead
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Best LiDAR system for Pavement Asset Management Company?

Post by Matt Young »

I would suggest having a look at the Leica Pegasus:Two Mobile Sensor Platform. If you are looking for accurate capture of infrastructure such as pavements then this is the way forward.

https://surveyequipment.com/leica-pegas ... ng-system/
If you don't see that there is nothing, then you are kidding yourself.
pvmnt_mgmt
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Caitlin Parsons
Company Details: IMS Infrastructure Management Services
Company Position Title: Technical Analyst

Re: Best LiDAR system for Pavement Asset Management Company?

Post by pvmnt_mgmt »

Thank you, this system has been recommended to us now a few times. I'll dig a little deeper into that for sure.
We had also been introduced to the Ouster OS-1 system, which is considerably cheaper than the Pegasus. Would you happen to be familiar with the Ouster and how it compares to the Pegasus?

Additionally, we have discussed that we may benefit from two systems - one mobile and one stationary. Do you have any recommendations for stationary scanners? Speed of collection is important to us and I know they can take some time to finish scanning.

Return to “Product Comparison”