I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: ross ryan p. matic
Company Details: Maynilad water
Company Position Title: Head

Help! Comparison guidelines

Post by joserizal »

Hi!

We are planning to acquire terrestrial scanner in our company; major use will be in asset trailing and also at in surveying works.
For now this are the equipment we have determined for comparison:
• Lieca P40
• Faro M70
• Trimble Tx8

Any suggestions what critical checklist should we consider for comparison?
steves01x
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Smith
Company Details: Scanning
Company Position Title: Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Help! Comparison guidelines

Post by steves01x »

The work flow - P40 to Cyclone is rather good and smooth, you can also set up over known points with it.
Faro to Cyclone (usually via Scene) work ish but isnt as smooth. Not used the other one you mention.

Also check the quality of imagery each takes and the options for alternative camera units.

Can you hire each one for 2 days and scan your office (or house) inside and out, process the data in each brands own software and see how it goes?
NOVAMECH
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Nick Bush
Company Details: NOVAMECH
Company Position Title: Director
Skype Name: novamech5

Post by NOVAMECH »

Forget them all and buy a ZF5016

You will find Support and Back Up - the best in the industry - I have found this to be personally true. After I experienced other support systems.
This is the most importent asspect of buying a scanner - the help and support you receive. Especially, if your team is new to scanning.

1.SOFTWARE - The ZF Range of scanners comes with FREE Scout WorkFlow "REGISTRATION" Software. Allowing, completion of registration on site prior to leaving the work environment,
2. BEST in class - HDR on Board Camera
3. Smart Light Technology - now built into scanner allowing HDR image capture in No and low light conditions. A real Asset that others do not offer.
4. Again - Scanner and Software Support - I have found to be - almost instantaneous or over night here in New Zealand. I have alway been able to have an issue resolved within a few hours or at the longest 24 hours.

Buy the way - if you are laughing at my new Avatar image - this is after scanning for 14 hours in the New Zealand Sun - working with Jed from Lidar Guys and on the Movie Film Set - "A Wrinkle in Time" - Filmed - South Island, New Zealand

http://www.zf-laser.com/Z-F-IMAGER-R-50 ... .html?&L=1
3d_laser_scanner_01_fa855b5e9f.jpg
Additionally - I would look at a Robust Aluminum Tripod - with central leg stays. These are light and easily packed down while moving from position to position. The central leg stays are a must - when you are placing 100k on your tripod. These also give the advantage of locking the legs while moving the tripod.
scout tab - Copy.png
leica_lat195_lat265_tripod - Copy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by NOVAMECH on Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jamesrye
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Rye
Company Details: Merrett Survey Partnership
Company Position Title: Spatial Analyst

Post by Jamesrye »

Range (test this for yourself as the quoted ranges can be misleading)
Accuracy
Quality + Speed of internal camera
Speed of laser scan data capture
Operating temp range
data storage
battery life

Weight of scanner
Price!!

I've used the P40 quite a bit, the data capture is extremely quick. The quality of the data is also very high and you can pick out detail, it works well scanning wet surfaces, where our C10 wouldn't collect data. It also seems to consume less battery power than the C10. I rarely use the internal camera as it's very slow. In my experience, the Leica units are robust and reliable, though they are heavy and cumbersome. One thing to be prepared for is the volume of data that the new units collect, data handling can be a challenge on larger projects.

I really like the Cyclone software, it's perfect for registration. Additional licenses are very expensive though (in my opinion), so its worth checking out what the other vendors software offers.
steves01x
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Smith
Company Details: Scanning
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Post by steves01x »

Jamesrye wrote:

battery life

Weight of scanner
You soon get use to the P40 weight, but rather a heavy scanner than a light one when working out doors (unless its a fair old hike to site!)

P40 batteries are good, you will get a days work (8 hours) from 4, we have 6 and have not ran out of power on a long day with constant scanning / not powering off. Hot swapping the batteries between scanning is a huge time saver - something you cannot do with the Faro which is pretty annoying as you need to power off/on then start working again!

I have never used the ZF5016 (or any of that brand) but they also do look like excellent scanners as does the Reigl range!

Return to “Product Comparison”