I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Mats Knutsson
Company Details: Liljewall arkitekter
Company Position Title: Liljewall arkitekter

Messy BLK2GO scan

Post by maknu »

Hi,
I'm using Archicad as BIM tool and have been using point clouds occasionally. Now I've got a scan from BLK2GO and it has a very different look with all the "lines". Is there a way in CC I can make it look more like a traditional pointcloud?

I also would appreciate if someone could direct me to a tutorial of how to generate flat plans and sections in pdf (or dwg if possible) so that I can use them for checking.
Br,
Mats
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
danielgm
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Daniel Girardeau-Montaut
Company Details: CloudCompare
Company Position Title: Administrator
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Messy BLK2GO scan

Post by danielgm »

Well, you could try to 'subsample' the cloud (With Edit > Subsample') but you'll have less points in the end... The 'Tools > Clean > SOR' algorithm might also help to remove outliers.

And then, you can use the Compass plugin to fit planes here and there, or in a more manual way, you can segment planar subsets and fit a plane on them. Eventually, you can select theses planes and export them as DXF (that would be the only option).
Daniel
CloudCompare admin
http://www.cloudcompare.org/
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Paul Burrows
Company Details: Leica Geosystems Europe
Company Position Title: Scanning Solutions Manager - Europe

Post by pburrows145 »

You should use the filters in REG360 to give you a better look and feel to the data in other downstream applications (It uses a voxelisation algo to give you a more regular looking pointcloud)
blk2go filtering.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: none
Company Position Title: none
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by badam »

if you are a customer and not a point cloud creator then you can do a simple octree/distance subsampling in cloud compare and you are good to go. don't need to buy any paid software for this kind of things.

but of course you can ask your pc creator to deliver with this option enabled.

and everything is true what daniel said previously.

@Daniel thanks for your software as well ;) we are using it in every single project alongside pdal. these are very powerful/reliable tools to decimate clouds (700gb e57 to 10-20gb), and do other things.
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Paul Burrows
Company Details: Leica Geosystems Europe
Company Position Title: Scanning Solutions Manager - Europe

Post by pburrows145 »

badam wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:47 pm if you are a customer and not a point cloud creator then you can do a simple octree/distance subsampling in cloud compare and you are good to go. don't need to buy any paid software for this kind of things.

@Daniel thanks for your software as well ;) we are using it in every single project alongside pdal. these are very powerful/reliable tools to decimate clouds (700gb e57 to 10-20gb), and do other things.
This is a simple question of asking the point-cloud generator (the person who supplied the data) to run this filter at import to help improve the look and feel... they will have had to use REG360 BLK Edition as a minimum to import and process anyway and it's included by default in this application.
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: none
Company Position Title: none
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by badam »

pburrows145 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:55 am
badam wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:47 pm if you are a customer and not a point cloud creator then you can do a simple octree/distance subsampling in cloud compare and you are good to go. don't need to buy any paid software for this kind of things.

This is a simple question of asking the point-cloud generator (the person who supplied the data) to run this filter at import to help improve the look and feel... they will have had to use REG360 BLK Edition as a minimum to import and process anyway and it's included by default in this application.
for the next job it is fine but after deliverable it is not the fastest way i think..

you will need to reimport/regenerate the pano images,export, redeliver it may take a lot of time. what can be done like 10 sec.

Return to “CloudCompare”