I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Stephen Koller
Company Details: Finelli Iron Works
Company Position Title: Design Engineer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

"invisible points" e57 export

Post by stevek »

Part of my workflow is to export .e57 from Cyclone register360. If I "clean" the point cloud using register360 then export it, when I pull it into CC, visually the cloud is trimmed. The properties of the cloud still state the full number of points for the un trimmed cloud. the file size also confirms this. Sometimes running the segmentation tool and selecting all the visible points will do the trick...but that's only about 20 percent of the time.
Is there a way to show these invisible points or to just delete them from the file somehow. I have tried to solve this through cyclone, but there is no solution there. Thank you for your help
Leandre Robitaille
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Leandre Robitaille
Company Details: Cima+
Company Position Title: Civil Technician - Surveyor

Re: "invisible points" e57 export

Post by Leandre Robitaille »

Im not certain I understand your invisible point issue. Does it look like the survey was passed threw a paper shredder? This issue is often caused by large coordinate pointcloud. When importing in cloudcompare accept the prompt message to do a translation to the pointcloud. Dont worry when you will re export from cloudcompare they will keep their world coordinates and not the translated one.
stevek
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by stevek »

Thank you for your response. Sorry if my explanation is vague. Let me try to simplify it...
Full point cloud = 40 million points
I trim point cloud in register 360 to what I need and it should be around 8 million points
I export it from register360 as e57 - file size reflects 40 million points
wen i open e57 in CC - visually the point cloud is trimmed (8 million visual points), but the properties in CC state 40 million points
Where are the 32 million points that CC is recognizing and not displaying .... and how do I get rid of these "invisible points"

I hope that clears it up a little bit
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1

Post by gsisman »

stevek wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:02 pm Thank you for your response. Sorry if my explanation is vague. Let me try to simplify it...
I trim point cloud in register 360 to what I need and it should be around 8 million points
wen i open e57 in CC - visually the point cloud is trimmed (8 million visual points), but the properties in CC state 40 million points
Where are the 32 million points that CC is recognizing and not displaying .... and how do I get rid of these "invisible points"

Did you export with the Export cleaned pts to E57 unchecked?

https://www.screencast.com/t/EK8gPEzVki
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

stevek wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:02 pm Thank you for your response. Sorry if my explanation is vague. Let me try to simplify it...

Sounds like a relatively small point cloud. If you want to send the E57 through to me I can run it through SCC here to see if there is any way to differentiate the active and inactive points. I know that LAS point clouds can include classification b but am not sure about E57. Could be they all have a fixed colour or intensity and can be filtered out that way.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
danielgm
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Daniel Girardeau-Montaut
Company Details: CloudCompare
Company Position Title: Administrator

Post by danielgm »

A user has reported a similar file (also generated with a Leica software tool). All the spurious points were located at (0, 0, 0) - millions of them!

You can create a small sphere at this position (with the File > Primitive factory) so as to easily spot the position. The use the scissors tool to remove then.
Daniel
CloudCompare admin
http://www.cloudcompare.org/
stevek
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by stevek »

smacl wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:46 pm

Sounds like a relatively small point cloud. If you want to send the E57 through to me I can run it through SCC here to see if there is any way to differentiate the active and inactive points. I know that LAS point clouds can include classification b but am not sure about E57. Could be they all have a fixed colour or intensity and can be filtered out that way.
So that was just an example to illustrate what is happening. I would like to send to you, but the file is approx (7 clouds @ 40million points per cloud) 6.5GB. what would be the best way to get it to you?
stevek
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by stevek »

danielgm wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:52 pm A user has reported a similar file (also generated with a Leica software tool). All the spurious points were located at (0, 0, 0) - millions of them!

You can create a small sphere at this position (with the File > Primitive factory) so as to easily spot the position. The use the scissors tool to remove then.
Thank you for your reply. So I followed these instructions with no success. I tried the SOC tool and it will freeze every time if there are "invisible points" in the file. I would like to send to you, but the file is approx (7 clouds @ 40million points per cloud) 6.5GB. what would be the best way to get it to you? You might be able to figure it out much easier than I can.
stevek
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by stevek »

gsisman wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:31 am

Did you export with the Export cleaned pts to E57 unchecked?

https://www.screencast.com/t/EK8gPEzVki
"thank you for your reply. Yes I did. And the clouds come in "cleaned" visually. Hence the reference to invisible points. The point counts and the file size still reflect the uncleaned scans, but all the extra points cannot be seen.
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

stevek wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:03 pmSo that was just an example to illustrate what is happening. I would like to send to you, but the file is approx (7 clouds @ 40million points per cloud) 6.5GB. what would be the best way to get it to you?
A big file transfer program like https://wetransfer.com/ is probably your best option. Doesn't need to be the whole thing, just any E57 file that has this issue. If you can get the whole file over, I should be able to send the reduced version back.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module

Return to “CloudCompare”