Is Arena4D the proper program for me?

Discuss Veesus software here, including those for Arena4D and the plug-ins for SolidWorks and Rhino.
Mstockmeyer
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Marco Stockmeyer
Company Details: Plant construction
Company Position Title: Design engineer
Linkedin Profile: No

Is Arena4D the proper program for me?

Post by Mstockmeyer »

Dear all,

we have bought a FARO X330 some month ago, to make 3D scans of plants, load them in Inventor and check some collisions between real area and our 3D model. So it is easier for brown field projects.
Now I am searching for some ideas/solutions to show potentially new customers our plants already built and scanned. So I come across with Arena4D. My intention is to buy a oculus rift or htc vive or equa, that the new customer is able to walk through one of our plants. Do I have in Arena4D the possibility to go through the pointcloud, like I do in recap and open the single panoramic photos? And is it possible to fill the pointclouds with other information? That there will be placed a pdf or something in one part of the pointcloud?

Question and more questions will come..... For me it is just the beginning of my work with 3D pointclouds.

Best regards
Marco
Mark Christy
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Mark Christy
Company Details: Veesus Ltd Arena4D.
Company Position Title: Technology Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Is Arena4D the proper program for me?

Post by Mark Christy »

Hi Marco,

I may be biased.. but I would say yes it does sound like the program for you :)

You can place documents, images, anything really within the 3D world in Arena4D and navigate around the point cloud freely. There is no limit on the number of size of point clouds within the software.

We support the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive via the OpenVR (SteamVR) api.. which means any headset supported by OpenVR is automatically supported by our software.

When navigating the scene in VR you will be able to see all the other objects in the 3D world, but not necessarily interact with them (e.g. opening a video file)... yet.. however you can take measurements and other readings of point positions.

If you download and install Arena4D you get 14 days free trial time to explore it.

We have lots of tutorial videos and user guides on line on our website.

If you want a screen sharing session/demonstration please just drop us an email at [email protected] and we'll be happy to show you around.

Many Thanks

Mark
mca
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Manuel Caputo
Company Details: FARO
Company Position Title: Software Developer

Post by mca »

Do you have already a SCENE license that will allow you to upgrade to newer versions without additional cost? If this is the case, I suggest you wait until SCENE 7.1 is released in the next few weeks before buying additional software. It includes a brand new VR viewer that allows you to view the full project point cloud (closed surfaces with full color detail) in room scale VR with a Rift or Vive or any other SteamVR headset/controllers. It also supports annotations, measurement and screenshots and imported CAD models. We showed a preview of it to the public at this years Intergeo.

Our old VR app that comes with SCENE 7.0 and can show single scan point clouds and panoramic images of scans on the Rift is already available and will continue to be available after the 7.1 release.

Its important to mention that the new VR viewer is a complete rewrite integrated into SCENE and provides some advantages compared to other VR point cloud solutions. For example, the full point cloud details are preserved, so you can get very close to objects and they don't break up into little flat disks.
Mstockmeyer
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by Mstockmeyer »

Hi Mark,

thank you for your fast feedback.
You may be biased, but you know 100% what your program can do.
What I understood or found in internet, is that there will be the main program Arena4D Data Studio and then you need additional plug-ins: VR and panorama. Then we are able to use it as I mentioned before? Will we need an additional plug-in for opening PDFs or videos during pointcloud walkthrough? I need to get some information before I download and install, because then I will use the 14 days free trail to present the managing director my results.

Best regards
Marco
Mark Christy
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Mark Christy »

Hi Marco,

If you need to trial for longer than 14 days, no problem.. we can extend the trial license for you.

In addition to the VR and Panorama module you will also need the Forensics plugin to add extra attachments to the point cloud in the form of Hyperlinks for Videos and PDFs, etc.

Currently we don't have the ability to "jump" into a Panorama whilst navigating the point cloud in VR, although you can see it's location. If you manage to walk into the "sphere" you will see the Panorama, however we will soon add a "jump" button on the controller to allow you to enter the panorama more easily.

Outside of VR it's just a case of double clicking on the panoramic image to go inside and view the panorama.

Many Thanks

Mark
Mstockmeyer
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by Mstockmeyer »

mca wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:35 pm Do you have already a SCENE license that will allow you to upgrade to newer versions without additional cost? If this is the case, I suggest you wait until SCENE 7.1 is released in the next few weeks before buying additional software. It includes a brand new VR viewer that allows you to view the full project point cloud (closed surfaces with full color detail) in room scale VR with a Rift or Vive or any other SteamVR headset/controllers. It also supports annotations, measurement and screenshots and imported CAD models. We showed a preview of it to the public at this years Intergeo.

Our old VR app that comes with SCENE 7.0 and can show single scan point clouds and panoramic images of scans on the Rift is already available and will continue to be available after the 7.1 release.

Its important to mention that the new VR viewer is a complete rewrite integrated into SCENE and provides some advantages compared to other VR point cloud solutions. For example, the full point cloud details are preserved, so you can get very close to objects and they don't break up into little flat disks.
At the moment we are using Scene 5.3, I think there will be no upgrade without additional cost.
Is it also possible to place PDFs and videos in the pointcloud? Videos are not 100% needed, but it would be a nice feature to go through the pointcloud to a machine and then open video to see it in operation. The videos, seen on youtube about FARO VR are very minimized. So with Scene 7.1 it will be possible to open 100+ scans in VR viewer?
mca
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Manuel Caputo
Company Details: FARO
Company Position Title: Software Developer

Post by mca »

Our SCENE annotations support arbitrary file attachments. Inside VR you can currently view only the text of the annotation and any attached image file(s).

You will be able to view as much scans as you are able to fit into your project point cloud - there is no limitation. On the Intergeo we used this example dataset here that consists of more than 150 scans: https://youtu.be/I0QxDRoyDpg?t=1m9s You will be able to fly/walk/teleport around the village but can also go inside the church and look closely at details and profit from the closed surface feature.

All current videos available on YouTube cover only the old FARO VR application that does not support project point clouds and SCENE integration.

You should be able to check out the VR features after the SCENE 7.1 release using the 30-day trial period without further cost.

Edit: Ops, I should apologize for hijacking this thread since I'm a FARO employee. Found this thread over the Portal and was not aware until now that it was created in the Arena4D subforum. Sorry :(
Mstockmeyer
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by Mstockmeyer »

Mark Christy wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:01 pm Hi Marco,

If you need to trial for longer than 14 days, no problem.. we can extend the trial license for you.

In addition to the VR and Panorama module you will also need the Forensics plugin to add extra attachments to the point cloud in the form of Hyperlinks for Videos and PDFs, etc.

Currently we don't have the ability to "jump" into a Panorama whilst navigating the point cloud in VR, although you can see it's location. If you manage to walk into the "sphere" you will see the Panorama, however we will soon add a "jump" button on the controller to allow you to enter the panorama more easily.

Outside of VR it's just a case of double clicking on the panoramic image to go inside and view the panorama.

Many Thanks

Mark
Thanks for information Mark,

I will keep an eye on Arena4D. The possibility to open videos and pdfs whilst navigating the point cloud in VR is very tempting.
Do you have a video, where it is shown?

Best regards
Marco
Mark Christy
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Mark Christy »

Hi Marco,

Currently that is the capability we don't yet have implemented as videos, etc, are opened in 3rd party applications which are not VR (not 3D) friendly (e.g. MS Video Player or Adobe Acrobat or MS Word...).

We aim to have the "jump" into panoramas available shortly.

Many Thanks

Mark

Return to “Veesus”