Flickering 3D model

Discuss Veesus software here, including those for Arena4D and the plug-ins for SolidWorks and Rhino.
gordonired
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Gordon
Company Details: Roska DBO
Company Position Title: GIS Coordinator
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Flickering 3D model

Post by gordonired »

Hi, I've been trying out Veesus Arena4D with some recently generated CAD models in combination with a point cloud. The CAD models are .obj files. When looking around in Arena, or after generating a movie, without the point cloud on, there is a very noticeable light flickering on the CAD solids.

I played a bit with the lighting settings, it doesn't seem to effect CAD models. Is there a way to fix this? Would another CAD format work better?

In addition, are you planning on bringing in support for other CAD formats? I would really, really like to be able to colour code the different models. Grey is a bit drab. Thanks very much, look forward to your response.
mikemccr
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Michael McCormick
Company Details: Scientific Analysis Inc
Company Position Title: Senior Technician

Re: Flickering 3D model

Post by mikemccr »

Although I don't have much experience with Arena4D, I have seen this phenomenon in other rendering packages. This usually occurs when you have duplicate faces in the geometry, backward facing 3D face normals, or a combination of both.

Only certain objects are flickering in your video file, so note which ones are they are and check your model geometry on those items.
Mark Christy
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Mark Christy
Company Details: Veesus Ltd Arena4D.
Company Position Title: Technology Director

Post by Mark Christy »

Hi Gordon,

As Mike suggested I'd check the geometry model as it shouldn't be flickering like that.

We support quite a wide range of 3D models, our preference is usually for FBX.

So long as the model is coloured before bringing into Arena4D then we will respect and display those colours accordingly. For OBJ files that means having a suitable material file present too for defining of the colours.

If you want to send the model through to us then we'd be happy to take a look for you to try and eliminate the flickering, and maybe add some colour too!

Many Thanks

Mark
gordonired
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Gordon
Company Details: Roska DBO
Company Position Title: GIS Coordinator

Post by gordonired »

Thanks for the tips everyone. First time really giving the software a shot, and I'm not as seasoned when it comes to CAD models. I will look into the issue a bit more before reaching out again Mark, thanks.
Seachordjr
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Stephen Seachord
Company Details: Surveying company
Company Position Title: Spatial Analyst

Post by Seachordjr »

Sometimes this can happen when you have mesh planes that are to close to each other as well, it is usually what Mikemccr mentioned. When I have this happen in 3D modelling packages you can alleviate some of it by reducing your clipping planes. Not sure if Arena4D gives you that option or not.

Return to “Veesus”