I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Neil Tocher
Company Details: NCTech Ltd.
Company Position Title: Co-Founder
Skype Name: ntocher
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Istar Workflow

Post by NTocher »

Batch processing of iSTAR images to scans is something you can expect in a future update.
tbwester
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Thad Wester
Company Details: Clarity Scanning
Company Position Title: President

Post by tbwester »

NTocher wrote:Batch processing of iSTAR images to scans is something you can expect in a future update.
Thanks Neil! No doubt, just getting my 2 cents in. Thanks!
mmarsault
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Matthieu Marsault
Company Details: Murphy Surveys Ltd.
Company Position Title: Laser Scanning Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by mmarsault »

stevenramsey wrote:I just re tried on the same dataset that was used for the flyer. It took 3 min 42 sec to import and colourcloud 1 ScanWorld. This is on my shitty 3 year old laptop with a registration running in the background my emails and web browser all open and being used. Colourcloud stand alone version took exactly the same time.
It took 1 min 45 sec to export a single E57 file and a little over 1.5min to reimport after colourclouding (is that a word) the file. a saving of over 3min and 1GB of storage per scan. I will see if I can move my beta license to a real workstation and do the exercise again.
than cobbling on wonky connections to external software
Where does that come from, this is fully intergrted nothing to do with external software

We have been in discussions from day one of this intergration on how or if possible to create a batch import that would satisfy every customers potential workflow.
We have customers that leapfrog there scans and images so that they are out of order, Customers that hire IStars are the timestamps in sync. I heard of one that come back another day and set up over the same spot and set the camera up as near to the same height as when the scanning is done, where the order and time will also be wrong. Others that are taking extra images inbetween the scan locations for reference material again another out of syc scenario.

Lets say I sat down with a power user and we designed the perfect batch import, 30 secs after we launched it there would be someone complaining that it doesn't fit in with their own way of working, or they deliver data with the wrong color per scan because they didn't check the data. So yes we are looking at making a batch but unless it is 100% reliable I doubt we will do it. Maybe we could start a thread called "Lets design Leica the perfect batch import for Istar" and get some power user feedback

If someone could explain how a multi file export would be fast than this Version 1 of this intergration would be faster I would love to hear.
Steven,

I will start by saying this is very nice step from Leica to integrate the process of the istar images in Cyclone. Good job, it works well, nice to keep the background images for the Truviews.

But, there is a huge a difference between the time a person will spend in front of the screen and some batch processing done in hidden time where the user just run few clicks time to time.

It seems that in your opinion, importing and applying the images one by one is cost effective, sorry but no. It uses one person full time watching progress bars (still no progress bar for image application tho) and use cyclone licence full time. After a good day on site with say 80 scans we have to spend 5 min per scan to import the images so nearly 7 hours just doing that. With various batch process/converts/export/colour/import I will only spend 1 hour max.

If the user mixed up his pictures and his set ups, that is his mistake.

If the next step could be to batch import the nctri file sin one go and then assign them to the scanworlds in one go a well that would be fantastic.

So for the moment I will stick to my DIY process and wait for the cyclone 9.1.3 maybe ?? :D
Andrej
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Andrej
Company Details: Meixner Vermessung and Freelancer
Company Position Title: Project Manager

Post by Andrej »

Hi

my question is can I use Nodal Ninja cube maps and get them auto aligned to the point clouding the ?

Regarding the automation of colouring just look to Realworks. You import all photos and Realworks finds the corresponded point cloud - this doesn't work 100% but shows that's this is possible. You also can manual match them but unfortunately not automatic by time or name which shouldn't be to difficult to integrate.

In projects with 1000s of scan some sort of data management will be integrated for capturing scans and photos so the question is why can they offer a batch process? That doesn't mean if you like to do it scan by scan you still can.

Andrej
formbysurveys
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Andy Roberts
Company Details: Formby Surveys Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director
Skype Name: formbysurveys

Post by formbysurveys »

This is definitely a leap forward, but only a halfway house in my opinion. The need for some element of batch processing is somewhat obvious as the manual process is fairly tedious (around 10mins per image - import, apply etc). That's 6 an hour, 50-60 a day. Surely the ability to simply match al the istar images to scanworlds and press GO would make sense - you could even leave it to run on its own then - imagine that!

We were really looking forward to this update, but somehow feel a little deflated (which maybe a bit unfair as it is progress). Feels a bit like ordering a new sports car to find you need to pedal it yourself ;)
Andy

Andy Roberts
Formby Surveys Ltd
Phil Marsh
Administrator
Administrator
Full Name: Phil Marsh
Company Details: Laser Scanning Forum Ltd
Company Position Title: Director
Skype Name: phil.h.marsh

Post by Phil Marsh »

formbysurveys wrote:Feels a bit like ordering a new sports car to find you need to pedal it yourself ;)
Now where's that like button.
LASER SCANNING FORUM
[email protected]
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Paul Burrows
Company Details: Leica Geosystems Europe
Company Position Title: Scanning Solutions Manager - Europe

Post by pburrows145 »

Phil Marsh wrote:
formbysurveys wrote:Feels a bit like ordering a new sports car to find you need to pedal it yourself ;)
Now where's that like button.
I agree it's not what some were hoping for in terms of full automation, but this is step 1, and the feedback from EMEA region users has been good. Looking forward to the next evolution of this feature for sure.
colhum1
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Colin Humphreys
Company Details: Warwickshire Police
Company Position Title: Forensic Collision Investigator
Skype Name: col.humphreys

Post by colhum1 »

pburrows145 wrote: I agree it's not what some were hoping for in terms of full automation, but this is step 1, and the feedback from EMEA region users has been good. Looking forward to the next evolution of this feature for sure.
I agree Paul and (as you well know ;) ) appreciate the difficulties faced by both companies in getting this far.

No doubt batching will come along.

iSTAR saves time capturing the image per scan; can this saving be offset against using the onboard camera when taking 50-80 scans and individually colourising...?

Once you start using an iSTAR you quickly forget how long in the field it actually takes capturing images using the onboard camera and there is a quality difference.

If users think that its taking far too long using ColourCloud to colourise individual scans (in the comfort of an office :) ) and I do appreciate the workflow, you always have the option to try reverting back to the onboard camera :D

Colin
"Just leave me alone. I know what I am doing" - Kimi Räikkönen
Jamesrye
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Rye
Company Details: Merrett Survey Partnership
Company Position Title: Spatial Analyst

Post by Jamesrye »

Once you start using an iSTAR you quickly forget how long in the field it actually takes capturing images using the onboard camera
So true! We hired in a P20 the other week, whilst our scanner and the istar were busy on another job. It was a very long day to do just 20 scans! The iSTAR has increased our productivity massively where clients want RGB data.

I'm looking forward to having batch processing of the iSTAR images to scan data, but it's a real boon that the current implementation allows us to generate Truviews that use the background images.

I also think this site should have a 'like' button. It would be most interesting to see which posts got the most likes :lol:
formbysurveys
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Andy Roberts
Company Details: Formby Surveys Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director
Skype Name: formbysurveys

Re: Istar Workflow (LIke Button)

Post by formbysurveys »

Phil, not sure how versed you and Jason are at php coding but this maybe worth a look re like button...

http://www.mildredbrennan.com/blog/?p=118
Andy

Andy Roberts
Formby Surveys Ltd

Return to “VR Virtual Reality”