Volume Calculation using Trimble Realworks

Discuss Trimble Realworks software here.
level1user
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Jim H. Chang
Company Details: Geotechnical Engineering
Company Position Title: Office Boy
Linkedin Profile: No

Volume Calculation using Trimble Realworks

Post by level1user »

Hi all, I need help in regards to volume calculation. I have recently aqcuired static scan data (.fls) captured by a FARO laser scanner. I intend to do volume calculation for certain objects on that data using Trimble Realworks 10. However, I am unsure of the proper steps. This leads to my questions: do I need to register the data under the "registration" tab? what is the proper way of selecting my object of interest?

My method involves selecting the "production" tab, then select the "open scan explorer" tool. I select my object using "extract points" function in the "open scan explorer" tool. I then proceed to create a mesh of the selected object and then perform volume calculation on that mesh. Am I doing it right? Please help. Thanks.
tchaper
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Thomas Chaperon
Company Details: Trimble
Company Position Title: Senior software engineer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Volume Calculation using Trimble Realworks

Post by tchaper »

Hi Jim,

The workflow actually depends on your case: do you have a single scan? or do you have several scans acquired from different locations? In the latter case, you need to register the scans together first - indeed by going to the Registration configuration.
You can then run the Volume Calculation tool in the Production configuration. You don't necessarily need to produce a mesh before running the Volume Calculation tool, you can run it directly on point clouds. The Volume Calculation tool runs both on clouds and meshes.
I hope this helps.
Cheers,

Thomas
CSDS
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Jordan Banning
Company Details: Construction Technology
Company Position Title: Principal

Post by CSDS »

Correct...you don't have to extract the data using Scan Explorer either. You can simply segment/select the data you want inside the volume calc tool if you want.

You can calculate from an assumed plane or you can calculate from a surface...for instance if you had a scanned / surveyed surface of some sort prior to new scan data on top (like in a monitoring situation) then you can get a more accurate volume from the previous surface.

The previous post is correct though...creating a top surface of the volume is an unnecessary step.
afsernam
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Andres Serna
Company Details: Terra 3D
Company Position Title: Research Engineer

Post by afsernam »

Hi All,

I have just found a nice video about volume computation in the Trimble RealWorks official youtube channel.

youtu.be/

Cheers,
Andrés

Return to “Trimble Realworks”