Modeling in RealWorks

Discuss Trimble Realworks software here.
apjokr
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Robert
Company Details: Construsoft
Company Position Title: Technical Support
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Modeling in RealWorks

Post by apjokr »

Hello my friends,

In this topic I would like to make discussions on the Modeling section of Trimble Realworks.

First: Do you think, which is better: Registering the clouds into a project, and deliver the clouds for the drafters, in any format they want to use in third-party softwares? I mean, the Bentley, Acad, Cloudcompare, etc. have special plugins in order to use the clouds to make deliverables. (DTM, Auto-Piping,etc.)
OR Do you think RW is good enough for Modeling stand-alone?
If yes
What are the recommendations to use the tools to come up with good results? I mean, Easypipe looks great on youtube videos, but what should we know beside this. What point density, sampling does the tool need, to make it work so smooth?

I'm looking forward to the advice, opinion, experiences :)
TMillington
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Tony Millington
Company Details: ISIS Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
Company Position Title: Survey section leader

Re: Modeling in RealWorks

Post by TMillington »

Hi Robert

It's not just Easypipe (or RealWorks) that looks great on Youtube videos - I'd take them all (from whichever manufacturer) with a pinch of salt.

In answer to your question, it really depends on what level of complexity and how 'finished' a model you are hoping to achieve.

The modelling from pointcouds in Realworks is acceptable for basic shapes, structures etc and the pipe run modelling will handle pretty straightforward configurations.

However, bear in mind that Realworks, Cyclone and similar are primarily tools for processing and registering pointcloud data, and that is their real strength - to expect them to handle complex modelling as well is asking a lot.

If you're looking for rigorous and complete fully modelled CAD deliverables you need to look at products that will take the pointcloud data into an environment geared to producing that - so back to Bentley, Autodesk, Kubit and the like.

Hope that helps

Tony
apjokr
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Robert
Company Details: Construsoft
Company Position Title: Technical Support

Re: Modeling in RealWorks

Post by apjokr »

TMillington wrote:Hi Robert

In answer to your question, it really depends on what level of complexity and how 'finished' a model you are hoping to achieve.
The modelling from pointcouds in Realworks is acceptable for basic shapes, structures etc and the pipe run modelling will handle pretty straightforward configurations.

However, bear in mind that Realworks, Cyclone and similar are primarily tools for processing and registering pointcloud data, and that is their real strength - to expect them to handle complex modelling as well is asking a lot.

Tony
Hi Tony,
I accept your opinion. The required deliverable decides if the RW is enough or not. I used Bentley for piping before, so I should only use RW when I make cross sections for the drafter, and they only want to know a small detail of the area to make clash detection.
Do you think is it enough for this, and do you have any recommendation what are the factors that makes the easypipe etc. tools working well? Should I segment properly the cloud where I want to use the tool, density, etc.

Thank you so much.

Return to “Trimble Realworks”